Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Photos > Spearfishing Photos

Spearfishing Photos Use this area as your "Brag Board," posting photos of your haul.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #16
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Just a friendly reminder.........Looking forward to meeting you, Mike.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #17
Wet Spot
Stan Smith

Send a message via Yahoo to Wet Spot
Damit booy, nice Hoo. The week long hunting trips are over now so I'll be ready to fire up the Bertram soon. Will let you know.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:51 AM   #18
OceanSwimmer

Cool

Great pics, Mike!
What kind is that last fish you posted?
What are/were the current temps and conditions?
BTW, Happy New Year.....
OceanSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #19
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

that last one is a wahoo.

Right now the fog is socked in...havent seen the sun in 2 days.

Went bluewater hunting the week of Christmas but nothing worth reporting...
rigdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:30 AM   #20
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Mike,
I have a buddy with a Cat that runs out of Venice. I know he is interested in Spearfishing, so all I need to do is get in touch with him. If I can talk him into it, would you be our tour guide? You may know him- His name is Craig Claisen. He works as river pilot out of NOL. Still itching to go, but my life is hell for the next month.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #21
rigdvr

lets go...
weather is going to be crappy for a while but the water looks good at the wahoo holes and the tuna just showed at the lump this week. Let me know when you're ready and Ill check into weather and whatnot.

This is the time of the year when my dive buddy shot his 100# hoo last year and I missed one bigger...
Old 01-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #22
ROCK BOTTOM

I was at the Lump last Wednesday. It was loaded with bonito, mackerel and amberjack. The tuna were there but no one was catching. We actually saw only one school on the surface feeding but could not get them to bite on surface plugs, jigs or even bait. We only had one tuna strike all day about 15 feet past the transom.

Now, one other critter was at the Lump also. We fought over fifteen sharks on rod n reel. The majority were blacktips around 100#, but we had one bull about 200# and a hammerhead that would have gone over 300#. Every time that I would shake the Chum Churn the bonito would zip in and feed followed by the blacktips trying to catch them. We would have three or four cut offs from the sharks and would have to stop chumming for 20-30 minutes but they always showed back up.

On the plus side we caught 11 AJs up to 45# and a few nice mangroves in the slick.

I dove SP-93 the day after Christmas with the same results. We shot four AJs and seven Almaco Jacks. We also picked up two nice scamp. Oh yeah, we caught a large red snapper (maybe 20-22#) and a 250# bullshark.

Enjoy your swim!

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #23
rigdvr

the sharks at the lump are always a major concern and the reason why we limit our diving there to at least clean green water. The area is the indy 500 of spearfishing b/c they is so much going on it takes alot of concentration.

The 93's are another story. They seem to be wahoo heaven. Usually the water is cleaner there than at the lump and while there is a lack of tuna, I'd rather hunt wahoo in clean water than tuna in mud.

We went the week of christmas and the water was terrible. We didnt even get in at the 93, Moxie was filthy and Medusa was blue/green mix. Finally found blue stuff at the Mars, Ursa, and the three drill ships nearby(Horizon, Explorer, and Nautilus). But they want us to stand off so far its almost futile unless you can find the fish up top....
Old 01-08-2004, 03:58 PM   #24
ROCK BOTTOM

rigdvr,

I took a few buddies to the Lump the day after Christmas and found crappy green water(It cleared up nicely by the following Wednesday though.) We made a few drifts but only got one tuna strike despite being in the middle of the only surface feeding tuna several times.

We then moved to SP93 for some spearing. The water had gone from bad to worse with a fifty foot murk layer that was almost zero viz(I almost swam into a stanchion pipe with my face.) After breaking out into some crystal clear water we were covered up by jacks. We ended up with four AJs and seven Almacos. Anyway, I tried pushing deep but at 130 feet it got so dark that I lost sight of my yellow gloves. I pushed to 150 feet down the rig's leg but felt lost in the blackness as I lost sight of the rig two feet away. We rodnreeled two nice scamps, a 20+# red snapper and a 250# bull shark.

I really would have prefered diving in the pretty water in Main Pass but we had a good time shooting jacks. Hope to get out there again soon.

Also, for the people who aren't sure, attached is a pic showing an AJ and Almaco for comparison.

Good luck on your next trip.

Zz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	almaco and aj.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	6246  
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators

Last edited by ROCK BOTTOM; 01-08-2004 at 04:00 PM.
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:16 PM   #25
rigdvr

think were gunnin for the next weather break...whenever that may be...