Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
JameyK

Gun Build: in progress

I have been slowly making progress on my second gun build. The idea is a deep reef gun that can handle the occasional pelagic since we do a lot of hunting in that 70’ to 100’+ zone. I lost too many onos this year with only a 110 in my hand

The gun is 4 lams of sapele. Laminated with west epoxy and 403 with some black pigment. The mech pocket has a layer of epoxy and graphite around it. The track is open track of poured epoxy and graphite routes out with a 5/16 core box bit.

I attempted a muzzle magnet encapsulated in epoxy, but I have made 2 miss calculations. I thought my track needed to be deeper than it did, so currently there is too much epoxy between the magnet and shaft for a good magnetic attraction. Trying to decide if I want to drill the mech pocket deeper so I actually get a magnetic track.

Also I mis measured the band stretch lengths. So the magnet is actually right about where I wanted the band holes. Now I need to choose if I want the gun to be like a 119 or like a 132. I wanted a gun that would be between a 120 and 130. I don’t want to load more than 2 bands. I was planning on shooting a 7.5mm shaft with a double offset flippers. I know 2 bands is good for a 160cm shaft, but if I move to a 170cm shaft do you think 2 bands is enough? I was hoping to shoot 14.5 small if bands, but I’m not opposed to shooting 16mm
Happy for feedback

Uploading photos ...
JameyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
JameyK

Re: Gun Build: in progress

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4466s.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	246137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4467s.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	246138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4595s.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	246139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4596s.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	246140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4597s.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	246141  

Name:	IMG_4636s.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	246142  
Old 10-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
JameyK

more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4720s.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	246147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4726s.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	246148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4727s.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	246149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4809s.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	246150  
Old 10-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Behslayer

Go with the 132.

I use a 145cm (Total Gun Length) ie @ 130cm Band Stretch for what you are using it for. Deep Reef for Uku and Mu. But can bring to buoys, shoot an occasional Bluewater fish. I use a Slip Tip. 2 bands 7.5mm shaft look at http://www.ulusub.com/spearguns/145rh. Can use 16mm or 14.5mm Small ID. 16mm is better when using a 5/16" Shaft.

Regards the Magnet. Was it a Nyodmium Magnet? Those can be a few mm away from the shaft and still have good pull. One thing you can do is to Drill Down to the Magnet. Then take a piece of Stainless.. Preferably 17-4PH (like a welding stick) or a piece of shaft. And drop that in and then cover the top with just enough epoxy to flush the track. The Metal will conduct the Magnetism. Like you could take a magnet and a 3" piece of shaft and the magnet would pull through the shaft.. So, in your case it would be just 1/8" or so.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 AM   #5
JameyK

Yes it was a neodymium magnet. That’s a cool idea to use steel to conduct the magnetism. I was looking at it more today, and I think I will probably lower the trigger mechanism and route the track deeper to see if I get enough of a pull from the magnet. I have not drilled the holes to pin the mech yet

I love the design of your ulusub 145rh. How long a shaft do you use on that gun? 67” x 7.5?
Old 10-13-2020, 03:46 AM   #6
doyenofcastle

there is a 15 mm rubber from Cressi which used in ABELLAN ,I always use with my heavy spears (7.5 mm and more) ,in the beginning don't go for high stretch ,its easily to pull giving high power .
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
JameyK

Quote:
there is a 15 mm rubber from Cressi which used in ABELLAN ,I always use with my heavy spears (7.5 mm and more) ,in the beginning don't go for high stretch ,its easily to pull giving high power .
Thanks doyenofcastle, i’ll look into that 15 mm rubber as well. I was leaning toward the 14.5 from Mako. I like high stretch on my 14 mm (360%) but on my 16mm I tend to stay around 320%
Old 10-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
Behslayer

That gun uses a 62" Flopper Shaft. But I use a Slip Tip for Deep Reef since I think it's the best way to make sure them Ukus and Mus come home for Dinner.

Keep your Handle High. Keep the Measurement between the Bottom of your Track and the Top of your Band Slot low.

Here's some shots with that gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJj39bJvu3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvl2gctFaqY&t=32s
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
Marco

I love these threads!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:49 AM   #10
Mikel_24

Beautiful build! Does the epoxy pocket for the mech add any real benefit to the gun or it is mainly for looks? I understand the mech pocket is to be protected from water ingress but a decent coat with epoxy resin during the final coats should suffice... maybe I am wrong!

Are you going to put an euro high handle on it or one screwed right under the stock AR style?

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
diveincanada

I'm also interested about that epoxy mech pocket. I've seen Dretchel do it but with a Tuna rounded mech. How do you square yours, with a wood chisel ?
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #12
JameyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Beautiful build! Does the epoxy pocket for the mech add any real benefit to the gun or it is mainly for looks? I understand the mech pocket is to be protected from water ingress but a decent coat with epoxy resin during the final coats should suffice... maybe I am wrong!

Are you going to put an euro high handle on it or one screwed right under the stock AR style?

Mikel
I do like the look of the black epoxy pocket. I decided to go this route because I have run into issues in the past with trying to epoxy coat the pocket during final stages. I did a thin coat in the pocket on my last gun but it was easily scratched and wouldn't protect the wood from water ingress. So then I opened the pocket and did a thick coat, but it was too thick and the trigger mech was too tight so I had to chisel and file it to size. I hate dealing with epoxy in the mech pocket so this time around I figured I would just try this method for looks and to save me from mech pocket headaches later

In theory I am going to try for a high handle. I have a handle frame in mind that I am going to try to adapt. I'll post some pics when I get a chance
Old 10-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
JameyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveincanada View Post
I'm also interested about that epoxy mech pocket. I've seen Dretchel do it but with a Tuna rounded mech. How do you square yours, with a wood chisel ?
Correct. I just squared it off with a wood chisel and file
Old 10-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
JameyK

The kiddos were playing with friends so I had some time to tinker again.

I rerouted the track deeper and I've got some magnetic attraction now! This meant I had the go back on the drill press as well and make my mech pocket deeper with the forsner bit and clean up the sides with a chisel. Thankfully I hadn't adjusted my router fence, or adjusted the board I had clamped to my drill press, as a fence to mark center, so both steps were quick and easy. I would estimate that I have about 2.5 or 3mm of epoxy between the magnet and shaft.

You can also see in the left side of the photo that I have some grain splitting near the muzzle. Right now my plan is the just keep building and shaping and see if that split is deep enough that it needs to be addressed after I cut the muzzle to size.

With the track deeper I ran the stock through the planer to trim the top down to where it would be flush with the top of the trigger mech so that I could use the install jig to drill the holes to pin the mech. Well I planed it down a hair too much, so I built it back of with a few layers of blue tape. Then I clamped the jig in place and drilled through the jig and half way through the stock to test fit.

The mech pocket was still a little too tight and a hair off center so the shaft was actually binding in the mech on the left side. (Test fitting with an 8mm shaft) which you may be able to see in the second photo. Chiseled and filed away and everything seems to fit properly now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4851.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	246179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4850.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	246180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	246181  
Old 10-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #15
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyK View Post

...The mech pocket was still a little too tight and a hair off center so the shaft was actually binding in the mech on the left side. (Test fitting with an 8mm shaft) which you may be able to see in the second photo. Chiseled and filed away and everything seems to fit properly now
I am all for the "tight is right" but sometimes giving yourself a bit of wiggle room saves a lot of headaches. Not much, just a little.

I don't think we need space rocket tolerances for our gun builds (unless we talk about the trigger mechanism!).

Great work!!! Cannot wait to see the handle...
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote