Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #16
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: where in the world holds the best opportunity to thrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
Buy a few acres in the country and when its paid build a little house.Once its dried in you could finish out of pocket without a bankster giving it to you without lube.
Don't get me wrong. I'm completely out of debt. I'm just looking for better opportunity.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
topshot

Marcus
I don't know the answer, but I hear many succesdful retired asking the very same question concerned about their grandchildren's future. I've heard many places contemplated and visited - no obvious answer. You are not alone in your thinking.
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #18
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
Marcus
I don't know the answer, but I hear many succesdful retired asking the very same question concerned about their grandchildren's future. I've heard many places contemplated and visited - no obvious answer. You are not alone in your thinking.
I've heard that Argentina and Chile are good places. Also, Malaysia. I often wonder if they'd be better than someplace here in the mountains/country. Again, it comes back to generating revenue in these places.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 05-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
fitz

Antarctica is pretty cool, no gov, freedom is there.
You can get hired to engineer various climate change experiments, for big money, but your wife will hate you for no restaurants and social life.
Spearfishing might be slow.
fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #20
nilsonov

new Zealand, Colombia if you can get a job, but that kind of applies to all of the world...
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #21
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm completely out of debt. I'm just looking for better opportunity.
I guess it depends on what" better opportunity "means to you.If you want out of city life you will have to adapt to thrive.
I have a sailing buddy that just sold his 45ft sailboat and is now doing Spring to Fall up here and Stuart in the winter.He is retired so supporting kids isnt a issue.Another buddy is selling his business in Miami and selling some land in the panhandle and smokey mountains to do the same thing.He loves country life but will have some issues adapting to the pace and not having Publix or a mall around the corner.I had sushi withdrawals till my buddy opened up his restaurant and not going spearfishing or flats fishing several times a month hurt too.
There was a listing for around 50 acres with a dried in house near Monticello for around 138k.50 acres of flat land.No reason ANYONE could not thrive on that much acreage in that area.Aucilla river is nearby and Tallahassee is too.You could still be in Florida and the country!Check land and farm on the internet.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #22
North Star
Max

Marcus, as bad as it appears to be here in the USA, it is worse everywhere else, because they are further down the road of corruption, globalism, and tyranny than we are.

The rule of law is better carried out here than anywhere else, the society is more stable, and the freedoms are greater, and the opportunities are far more abundant. Our people have a heritage of self reliance, freedom, and independence that other countries lack.

Look at the comments in this thread. These guys get it. There are millions more like them. They are the ones you want to live among when things go south, not some people with a different character, heritage, and culture that you are not a part of.

There is no haven away from human depravity. You are mistaken if you think that there is something better elsewhere. People are people, and governments are governments, and corruption abounds everywhere.

Find your refuge in God, and His saving grace and protecting care. Find your refuge in finding and living in a rural community of like minded people who will band together when things go south. Find your refuge in simplicity of life that has little, and wants even less. "Having food and clothing, let us therewith be content." 1 Timothy 6:8 Find your refuge in the hope of eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ, who will save you from your sins, and who will provide you with a perfect New Earth in which to live for all eternity, where there will never be any corruption from evil people ever again.

In a word, refuge is not in another country, it is in creating your own refuge in whatever country you happen to live in right now. Live out in the country, commute to the city for work, and build a place, a life, and a self sufficiency on your homestead, so that whatever happens to you, you and your neighbors will take care of each other no matter what the government does in the future.

Build a sphere of happiness and inner peace through Faith in God that cannot be disturbed no matter what your circumstances are. My refuge is in my homestead, but my greater refuge is in my heart and the peace that is there, so that even if I do get hauled off to prison and death, I have a bright future ahead of me on the other side of death, which is where I will spend the vast remainder of my existence anyway.

Look, there is a reason people are flocking to get into this country, and not some other. This is the best of all the miserable choices out there. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

But the best place to live is with Jesus Christ in the New Earth on the other side of death. This place is just temporary anyway. I am just making the best of a bad situation and getting through it until I get to my real and permanent Home.

Last edited by North Star; 05-29-2018 at 01:31 PM.
North Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #23
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Marcus, as bad as it appears to be here in the USA, it is worse everywhere else, because they are further down the road of corruption, globalism, and tyranny than we are.

The rule of law is better carried out here than anywhere else, the society is more stable, and the freedoms are greater, and the opportunities are far more abundant. Our people have a heritage of self reliance, freedom, and independence that other countries lack.

Look at the comments in this thread. These guys get it. There are millions more like them. They are the ones you want to live among when things go south, not some people with a different character, heritage, and culture that you are not a part of.

There is no haven away from human depravity. You are mistaken if you think that there is something better elsewhere. People are people, and governments are governments, and corruption abounds everywhere.

Find your refuge in God, and His saving grace and protecting care. Find your refuge in finding and living in a rural community of like minded people who will band together when things go south. Find your refuge in simplicity of life that has little, and wants even less. "Having food and clothing, let us therewith be content." 1 Timothy 6:8 Find your refuge in the hope of eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ, who will save you from your sins, and who will provide you with a perfect New Earth in which to live for all eternity, where there will never be any corruption from evil people ever again.

In a word, refuge is not in another country, it is in creating your own refuge in whatever country you happen to live in right now. Live out in the country, commute to the city for work, and build a place, a life, and a self sufficiency on your homestead, so that whatever happens to you, you and your neighbors will take care of each other no matter what the government does in the future.

Build a sphere of happiness and inner peace through Faith in God that cannot be disturbed no matter what your circumstances are. My refuge is in my homestead, but my greater refuge is in my heart and the peace that is there, so that even if I do get hauled off to prison and death, I have a bright future ahead of me on the other side of death, which is where I will spend the vast remainder of my existence anyway.

Look, there is a reason people are flocking to get into this country, and not some other. This is the best of all the miserable choices out there. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

But the best place to live is with Jesus Christ in the New Earth on the other side of death. This place is just temporary anyway. I am just making the best of a bad situation and getting through it until I get to my real and permanent Home.
I agree.

Travel is fine. Working out of the country can have its advantages.

But in regard to basic personal security- If the US undergoes severe turmoil, as many of us think is likely- How many other countries will skate by? US markets are important just about everywhere on earth. Shake up markets, and you shake up society.

Wherever you find yourself, I think it makes sense to be around people with whom you largely agree in regard to politics, morality, and hopefully, religion. Minority status will be dangerous when people are concerned for their own safety or can't feed their own kids.
mepps1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #24
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post

I agree to disagree. I agree that the US is a great place... in some places.

But to say “it’s worse everywhere else” is either wise or correct.

All that God stuff is a US thang for sure but I don’t know if Marcus is a fanatic like some of you, ie if that’s the selling point.

“But the best place to live is with Jesus Christ in the New Earth on the other side of death.”
Wtf is that? That’s just as weird as ISIS virgins and stuff you weirdo!
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #25
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

And now we are preaching on SB. What’s next selling medical MJ? wtfo?
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #26
Marcus

This is the PnR section if you haven't noticed. It doesn't offend me at all. I've conversed w/ NS many times over the years. He's a good man. He's not knocking on my front door early on a Saturday nor preaching hate. Thin skinned?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #27
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
And now we are preaching on SB. What’s next selling medical MJ? wtfo?
BTW, what's wrong w/ medical MJ? Even he admits that there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #28
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This is the PnR section if you haven't noticed. It doesn't offend me at all. I've conversed w/ NS many times over the years. He's a good man. Thin skinned?

Not at all.

It’s just like WTF does our Christian population not miss a beat when it comes down to trying and force religion down people’s throats.

One thing true about your question....I’ve lived overseas since 1991 nonstop. Grass is not greener. Things seem to be better on the surface in some other countries however, they are worse than here.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #29
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

[quote=2fishin2;2169368]

It’s just like WTF does our Christian population not miss a beat when it comes down to trying and force religion down people’s throats. QUOTE]

I get really tired of people who make this programed repetitive statement about Christians.
Yes, I have had one or two people in my entire life that I would say were forceful about their religion. However, I would never make an all inclusive statement about "the Christian population" like this.....It is just completely untrue.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #30
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Not at all.

It’s just like WTF does our Christian population not miss a beat when it comes down to trying and force religion down people’s throats.

One thing true about your question....I’ve lived overseas since 1991 nonstop. Grass is not greener. Things seem to be better on the surface in some other countries however, they are worse than here.
Thanks for the input.
I don't take NS's testament about his passion as being forced down my throat. I didn't have to read it nor am I threatened reading it. Bless his soul, he's tried to guide me 'to the light' several times. I make an unwillingly participant as I have my own thoughts on the issues. I may one day become a believer. I've had my share of experiences with the religion. Some of which has soured me to this day. At least he has an open mind. He at once thought the war on drugs was righteous. I guess it was my 'preaching' that helped change his mind on the subject. He never complained about my 'preaching'. He considered it and by his own volition, changed his mind. Might you be so 'open minded'?
I often wonder if we'd be better off as a nation if this part of our upbringing wasn't decimated by the PTB who wish to destroy this nation. You seemingly want to broad brush him into the narrative. You really need to asses based upon the individual arguments. Stereotyping is bad in every situation. He definitely doesn't fit the mold for which you'd like to cast him in. I'd love to call him the 'N" word....'neighbor'.

Last edited by Marcus; 05-29-2018 at 08:04 PM.