Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #2116
mepps1
Registered User
 
mepps1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gillette, WY
Age: 42
Posts: 6,533
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero28 View Post
ok so from the research I've done in two seconds, thats still a semi automatic rifle, and the company makes fully auto versions not sold on the public market, so i think it would still qualify under my proposed background check expansion.


and thats semantics, because for example, i feel like extended mags should be included in the F.A. style background check.

you know we could argue about what should and shouldn't be included, but if you want extended mags for your rifle, you better be willing to give up your Facebook privacy.


Thats a tiny tiny thing to give up, and hundreds of lives will be saved. now thats a legit conversation that i feel like you guys would have a lot of input in, what should and shouldn't we include in the F.A style background check.


But the argument that we shouldn't expand the F.A. gun background check system at all. Now thats something i won't even entertain and i posted why below. once you agree, ok we should expand the year long background checks, then maybe you can say, hold up this and this shouldn't be included because such and such. but something. must. be. done. not doing anything is 100% unnacceptable
All of your "internet research" was spent huffing? I think it must have taken longer than two seconds to conclude that a pump action shotgun was " still a semi automatic rifle".

It's maybe a bit lost on you that the "extended mag" in this case is 8 rounds?

How the hell should anyone as clueless and stupid as you be trusted to "do something" about anything, anywhere, ever? Pouring gasoline on a raging fire is "doing something", after all. That doesn't make it right or smart. Only an idiot of the highest order feels compelled to "do something" when the "something" is likely to be something stupid and counterproductive.
__________________
Who fails to listen early,
Will seldom hearken late.
Words of precious warning,
Are oft repaid with hate.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #2117
Shootinfish
Registered User
 
Shootinfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 174
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero28 View Post
Thats a tiny tiny thing to give up, and hundreds of lives will be saved. now thats a legit conversation that i feel like you guys would have a lot of input in, what should and shouldn't we include in the F.A style background check
I'm not trying to be a hard ass and refuse to compromise, but I don't agree with any semi auto firearm or extended mags to be included. I am buying semi autos and extended mags religiously because not only is using semi autos, AR style rifles, and extended mags a hobby of mine, it is also my sport. Just as some enjoy the sport of football, baseball, soccer, etc. Just as some people make their living with these sports, I too rely on semi autos, AR style rifles, and extended mags as an income to support my family. With the bans or restrictions I would not be able to compete meaning I would be loosing between $10,000 and $20,000 a year in winnings that my family and I rely on. It's essentially a part time job for me. You can ban and restrict all you want but any idiot out there that wants to kill someone (or alot of people) will do it by any means necessary.

Secondly, please point out in my last post all of the things that are non factual??????
__________________
I don't have an attitude problem. You just don't like my attitude, and that's not my problem...
Shootinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #2118
El_Mero28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 419
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootinfish View Post
I'm not trying to be a hard ass and refuse to compromise, but I don't agree with any semi auto firearm or extended mags to be included. I am buying semi autos and extended mags religiously because not only is using semi autos, AR style rifles, and extended mags a hobby of mine, it is also my sport. Just as some enjoy the sport of football, baseball, soccer, etc. Just as some people make their living with these sports, I too rely on semi autos, AR style rifles, and extended mags as an income to support my family. With the bans or restrictions I would not be able to compete meaning I would be loosing between $10,000 and $20,000 a year in winnings that my family and I rely on. It's essentially a part time job for me. You can ban and restrict all you want but any idiot out there that wants to kill someone (or alot of people) will do it by any means necessary.

Secondly, please point out in my last post all of the things that are non factual??????
well honestly, thats less important than saving hundreds of american lives. as harsh as that sounds its true. You can find another way to make a living, where as we will never bring the dead back. So yea man. its pretty tough but i care way more about american lives. its like coal. Our government would rather have more and more coal miners die from cancer, than funding green energy which creates waayyyy more jobs than coal, and doesnt crank up cancer rates in surrounding communities (which coal mining does). profits>lives.


and i was talking about the ruger that you said had 64 shots in it. I also think extended mags for shotguns should be included in the year long background check. for the reason: lives<profits.

anything that can induce mass casualty. extended mags for shot guns. semi automatic rifles. bumpstocks. should be included in that background check.


think about how selfish you guys are being. Im literally not even saying we should ban them. I'm not. in my perfect world, all of you guys would still have all of your guns. because I'm sure you guys like guns enough that if there is a legal way to get them you will. why are you guys so mad with my vision then, if in its, your gun collection would be the same (as long as you have no prior convictions, or history of violence, which I'm sure you don't)??

it makes no sense to me. we would save so many lives.

and nothing you said about the guns was false.
El_Mero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #2119
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi
 
Wayward Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Age: 57
Posts: 8,443
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Parkland was done with 10 round mags.

The ones we're told are ok. Well, for now, any way...
__________________
FRA
Fishing Rights Alliance- Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore divers and anglers. Join us!

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #2120
El_Mero28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 419
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Son View Post
Parkland was done with 10 round mags.

The ones we're told are ok. Well, for now, any way...
with a semi auto rifle. that kid would never in a million years pass the pre 1986 F.A. background check. no way


he would have pulled up w/ a pistol or a shotgun (no extended mags because they'd be included.)

17 people wouldn't have died. less would have died.

its statistically proven. look i don't even have to look it up i have confidence its true. If i were to get good numbers of massacre statistics, i bet you a million dollars, that the average casualties of massacres involving pistols or shotguns (without extended mags) is way less than the average casualties of of massacres with semi auto rifles (or shotguns w/ extended mags? which hasn't happened but we definitely shouldn't wait for it to happen before doing something.)
El_Mero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #2121
Shootinfish
Registered User
 
Shootinfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 174
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero28 View Post
with a semi auto rifle. that kid would never in a million years pass the pre 1986 F.A. background check. no way


he would have pulled up w/ a pistol or a shotgun (no extended mags because they'd be included.)

17 people wouldn't have died. less would have died.

its statistically proven. look i don't even have to look it up i have confidence its true. If i were to get good numbers of massacre statistics, i bet you a million dollars, that the average casualties of massacres involving pistols or shotguns (without extended mags) is way less than the average casualties of of massacres with semi auto rifles (or shotguns w/ extended mags? which hasn't happened but we definitely shouldn't wait for it to happen before doing something.)
He was using 10 round mags! Pistols come standard with that many, some more! What's the difference in a pistol with 10 rounds and a rifle with 10 rounds?????
__________________
I don't have an attitude problem. You just don't like my attitude, and that's not my problem...
Shootinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #2122
El_Mero28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 419
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootinfish View Post
He was using 10 round mags! Pistols come standard with that many, some more! What's the difference in a pistol with 10 rounds and a rifle with 10 rounds?????
ok so maybe just a really constantly updated national background check system for ALL guns then? not a year long process but just something that includes school records, mental health records, criminal records, and a variety of other records. the current one isn't national, isn't updated, has loopsholes everywhere.

that seems like it would have stopped most of the shootings

and in this proposal, i don't think you'd have to wait more than one year. and you still get all your guns.

so yea I admit my initial proposal wasn't effective. but i learned a lot from you guys and now think i have refined my proposal.

this is how productive conversations work. we talk and refine and talk and refine until we find something that works for everyone and thanks for actually making logical arguments.

all i know is not doing nothing is just accepting that massacres will continue to happen.
If i can remember a time when they didn't, i can imagine a time when they won't.
El_Mero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #2123
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 38,814
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero28 View Post
i bet you a million dollars,
What are you...like 14 or something? Your facts suck and you're very emotional in your argument. It doesn't look pretty on you, Pumpkin.
I like that you take the time to respond as you're quite entertaining and passionate. You might want to humble yourself though. You're not talking to naive people. Where did you gain your progressive attitude from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero28 View Post
all i know is not doing nothing is just accepting that massacres will continue to happen.
If i can remember a time when they didn't, i can imagine a time when they won't.
Christ on a cracker! You're apparently not much of a study on history. Your virtue signaling doesn't impress anyone here.
You want to help society? Be a producer. Use your earned money to teach others how to do so...especially the unfortunate around you in which you can actually make a difference. Use your resources to improve those around you and society, too, if you have enough to spare. Stop blaming others. That's a defeatist mentality that you've been programmed with. You're about as happy as you make up your mind to be. Pursue an endeavor that satisfies your monetary needs and learn how to be happy with it.
You can't force people to do what you want. All you can do is lead by example. The gov't isn't the answer. Read my sig.
__________________
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 10-30-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #2124
Shootinfish
Registered User
 
Shootinfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 174
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero28 View Post
ok so maybe just a really constantly updated national background check system for ALL guns then? not a year long process but just something that includes school records, mental health records, criminal records, and a variety of other records. the current one isn't national, isn't updated, has loopsholes everywhere.

that seems like it would have stopped most of the shootings

and in this proposal, i don't think you'd have to wait more than one year. and you still get all your guns.

so yea I admit my initial proposal wasn't effective. but i learned a lot from you guys and now think i have refined my proposal.

this is how productive conversations work. we talk and refine and talk and refine until we find something that works for everyone and thanks for actually making logical arguments.

all i know is not doing nothing is just accepting that massacres will continue to happen.
If i can remember a time when they didn't, i can imagine a time when they won't.
Now we're getting somewhere. I couldn't tell you what all is looked at on background checks so I have no argument for that. I ASSUME it's police records only. If so, is this a flaw that can be updated and expanded on? Absolutely. I'm not against that at all. I do firmly believe that mental health should be looked at and I can go for them checking anything they want. If you look at the stats, alot of the mass shootings, especially school shootings are done by kids. Most of which aren't old enough to have a criminal record. However, they do have mental health records, reports of their behavior etc. Example- Parkland. So this is where our paths can align.

One correction to your post is, the background checks are national. They are done by the FBI and are called NICS
__________________
I don't have an attitude problem. You just don't like my attitude, and that's not my problem...
Shootinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #2125
JetBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 141
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

I’m still guffawing over El’s assertion the the NICS looks at social media. What a donkey this guy is. Pulls something straight from between his aft cheeks and defends it to the end (I do hope the end of his posts is near).
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #2126
Shootinfish
Registered User
 
Shootinfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 174
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

They can look on social media all they want. I'm not on social media of any kind. This site is my social media
__________________
I don't have an attitude problem. You just don't like my attitude, and that's not my problem...
Shootinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #2127
OBLIGATED
Registered User
 
OBLIGATED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Liberal heads rent free
Age: 57
Posts: 6,959
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

The flaw in the parkland shooting was the liberal teachers,sheriff and others DID NOT AND WOULD NOT put an obviously deranged person in a mental health facility or a jail cell because it would look bad on their records.That means not getting monies from uncle sam.
You cannot legally own or possess a firearm if adjudicated mentally ill by a judge,have a felony record or have a misdemeanor record for domestic violence.
That dont mean that person is going to obey the law.When they murder or do multiple violent crimes they need to be executed but AGAIN liberals do not like prosecuting their supporters.
When someone that CLAIMS to be a republican or a conservative and murders innocents Im all for a speedy trial and a execution.When a Illegal immigrant or hood rat murders someone the left are quiet or try to divert attention away of how bad they fail in their ideals.
Some of the most liberal cities are literally covered up in garbage,shit and crime because of THEIR agenda.Their agenda is very strict gun laws with no basis on reality.You can literally MURDER someone by giving them HIV and its not a felony in Commifornia but plastic straws are a feony because of feeelz.
__________________
Coexist my ass!
OBLIGATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #2128
OBLIGATED
Registered User
 
OBLIGATED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Liberal heads rent free
Age: 57
Posts: 6,959
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBoy View Post
Im still guffawing over Els assertion the the NICS looks at social media. What a donkey this guy is. Pulls something straight from between his aft cheeks and defends it to the end (I do hope the end of his posts is near).
If they did he would not be able to own a gun.Threatening violence and admitting use of a illegal drug would raise some questions.
I would dare say he could not donate blood or organs either because of what he has posted.

NICS looks at their data based on criminal record and adjudications by judges as far as mental stability.
The NFA background is local Sheriff,FBI and BATFE.The timeline varies on how well the gubmint employees are doing their jobs with the stack of paperwork you have to fill out.It can be 3 months to 18 months to get the stamp for your item.
I should know.I had an Manufacturing FFL and have bought a few stamps from uncle sam in the past.
__________________
Coexist my ass!
OBLIGATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #2129
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi
 
Wayward Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Age: 57
Posts: 8,443
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...-supreme-court
__________________
FRA
Fishing Rights Alliance- Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore divers and anglers. Join us!

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #2130
Shootinfish
Registered User
 
Shootinfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 174
Re: what will happen to our gun rights?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...nia-bar-973721

According to the libtards, this would have never happened if AR style rifles were banned... even though this was not done with an AR.

Also, it was said in this thread that the number of lives taken wouldn't be as high because of the amount of rounds an AR holds as oppose to other firearms. I called bullshit with backlash of disbelief...

So how is it that 11 were killed with an AR and 13 were killed with a pistol if the amount of lives lost couldn't be as much or more?????? Also, please explain how banning AR's would have stopped this????
__________________
I don't have an attitude problem. You just don't like my attitude, and that's not my problem...
Shootinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com