Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
AJP
Reluctant User

Re: Dream Trip - Sailing/Spearing Circumnavigation

Living the dream - awesome! Good luck to you.

How can you prepare yourself for bad weather tactics in the meantime? Being that you are going to be out there for about 5 years, you will definitely hit some heavy stuff on more than one occasion. Just curious. Thanks.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
TheNomadTrip
Sailing/Spearing Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Living the dream - awesome! Good luck to you.

How can you prepare yourself for bad weather tactics in the meantime? Being that you are going to be out there for about 5 years, you will definitely hit some heavy stuff on more than one occasion. Just curious. Thanks.
You're definitely right, and it's a real concern. The best storm prep is to not be in the storm. But we all know that's a best-case scenario.

Insurance requires you to have a very detailed storm-management plan, and submit it. This covers any named Tropical Storms.

If you happen to be along the shore, you typically run and hide. Fast. Which means you understand, at all times, where your "run and hide" spots are as you move along the coast in questionable areas and at questionable times of the year.

If you happen to be out at sea, you typically remove all sails (early-on) and deploy a storm drogue/sea anchor to keep you pointed into the waves. And then hold on. Getting pulled off the boat by helicopter, or rescued by other boats isn't all that unheard of - if something really nasty springs suddenly.

But - I'll be learning more when I'm on the boat and when I spend time with others that have been through the same situation. Here's a video of a guy who has the same boat and went through some nasty stuff. He didn't have a drogue/sea-anchor, but they did well and made it through:

Honeymoon bare-poles sailing in 50 knots and 20 foot seas (Lagoon 380) - YouTube
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Learn where you can get inside, inside the reef, barrier reef, mangroves, any good hiding hole, lee side of islands, etc, for storms at any place you are planning to go. Think way ahead. Have several good anchors, plows are good. Check any weather channels and check local VHF for storms. Call and ask. Near the equator it is not as bad. 0 to 5 n or s. Learn to live being aware of the weather and what it means. I have done this for many years, and you need to live it, and feel the weather. Learn it. Ask locals if any question or in doubt.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
TheNomadTrip
Sailing/Spearing Nomad

Finally made it out to the boat for some sailing. Still learning, but I've got the basics down. I sailed out of Puerto Lindo to San Blas.

The San Blas islands are really beautiful, but they don't have the fishing I was hoping for... Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlULT2XEBLA

I'm doing the write-up in a few parts, here's part 1:

http://www.thenomadtrip.com/update/s...ailing-part-1/