Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
TheNomadTrip
Sailing/Spearing Nomad

Dream Trip - Sailing/Spearing Circumnavigation

So it begins. I've been working, saving, planning and dreaming of eventually sailing around the world and spearing the best spots.

And it's now only a couple of months away. This month I'm finally closing on a sailing catamaran - a Lagoon 380. Next month I fly to Panama to take possession of the boat, and not long after I'll set off on a trip I've been dreaming about since I started diving.

I've been doing my best to chronicle the trip on my site The Nomad Trip.

The trip starts in Panama, and once I get used to the boat and systems onboard I'll head across the Pacific to explore the South Pacific's most remote dive spots. I don't have an itinerary, because everything depends on weather and how often things break. And whether I feel like moving. And how big and dumb the fish are

I'm very interested in meeting up with spearos around the world and diving with them, and there will be times when I'm looking for people to come join. So if this interests you, don't be shy - reach out and sign up via the site.

Bring the questions, I'll do my best to answer what I can.

Cheers, and I hope I see some of you around!

-Nate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140306_112036.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	203060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	203061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	203062  

Last edited by TheNomadTrip; 03-22-2014 at 11:26 AM.
TheNomadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Triton

Re: Dream Trip - Sailing/Spearing Circumnavigation

Good luck, sounds like a dream come true!
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

Best of luck Nathan. It's definitely going to be an epic trip.

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
North Star
Max

Beautiful boat! Hope things go well for you!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
CaliApnea

Are you attempting to be self sufficient during your journey through fishing, diving, etc.? Just curious.
CaliApnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

Congrats! I wish you the best on your journey!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
TheNomadTrip
Sailing/Spearing Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Good luck, sounds like a dream come true!
It really is man, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingdude View Post
Best of luck Nathan. It's definitely going to be an epic trip.
Ben! Thanks dude. Stay in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Beautiful boat! Hope things go well for you!
Gracias - I really like the boat. But you know what they say: the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliApnea View Post
Are you attempting to be self sufficient during your journey through fishing, diving, etc.? Just curious.
To some degree, yes. But landing fish doesn't make you self-sufficient. I can't grow rice, corn, apples, flour, and coffee onboard. Maybe more importantly, I'm not good at wine-making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo1597 View Post
Congrats! I wish you the best on your journey!
Cheers!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Herby

How long are you planning on making this trip?
A group of us from NZ are looking to head to the northern cook islands/phoenix islands kind of area in around a year/18 month's time, by yacht. Could share a few rums.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
TheNomadTrip
Sailing/Spearing Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
How long are you planning on making this trip?
A group of us from NZ are looking to head to the northern cook islands/phoenix islands kind of area in around a year/18 month's time, by yacht. Could share a few rums.
The idea is to make 5 years out of it. It's really impossible to tell at this point.

The only real plan is a trip through the Canal and across the Pacific at the beginning of 2015. After that, it all depends on weather, fish, and what I feel like doing.

Be really happy to share a rum, hope the timing works out!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Luke WL.

Been following the site and instagram (ctm_luke) stoked for you! Would love to do a trip like this one day, just shoot shoot shoot lots of pics and video!
Luke WL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Nice! I had planned on getting a large catamaran years ago, and did look at that same boat, maybe not the exact same one, but I looked a couple of Lagoon 38s. I ended up with a trawler 45' overall. A 42 Californian LRC-Long Range Cruiser. It is called "Our Island". I did many things to make it good for living away from civilization. First I took out the 12 volt/120 volt/propane fridge, very ineffecient, and takes forever to get cold. I put in a regular compressor fridge. I also put in a medium sized under counter freezer also a compressor type. I can run the fridge and freezer and not have to start the generator. I took out the electric stove and put in a propane 3 burner, and a propane grill out back. I put in at first 4 55 watt solar panels and a bank of deep cycle batteries, with inverters. I later added 6 more solar panels. I built a hardtop over the flybridge to hold the panels. I have a small ice maker, which also runs on the solar. I bought a used water maker, but never put it in, as we have a 200 gallon water tank and it lasts a long time if conserved. We have a rear hardtop with a raincatching system and this flows into a 30 gallon tank that we use for an outside shower. One good rain will fill it. Do consider using a tarp or something to catch rain water. I have a generator, but only run it on warm nights for the A/C. We have taken it to the Florida Keys, mainly the Marquesas, and the Northern Bahamas for months at a time, We almost never stay at a marina, usually many, many miles from the nearest person or boat. Great boat to dive out of, and very comfortable. You have the luxury of sailing and making long voyages, and not using much fuel. We have to run the engines to get anywhere. We get about 2 miles per gallon at cruise. Loaded. We stock the ship with canned and frozen food, Plus more spices and things than any houses kitchen, and do spear and hook many fish, lobster, and conch as main courses. We fully stock the rum and wine, and sodas as mixers. Do put up pics of your trip. Sounds fantastic.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
TheNomadTrip
Sailing/Spearing Nomad

Steve, we're on the same page man. Off the grid, away from people. I've heard convincing arguments around "trawler vs sail" ... I chose sail, for the reasons you mentioned - but everything's a compromise.

She's set up now with 4 x solar panels, running to a big house bank. Three dedicated starting batts (twin engines and a gen) and one for the windlass.
Everything is 12V - windlass, fridge, separate deep freeze (under bunk), watermaker, etc.
Propane stove, putting up a BBQ.
Dinghy on davits - 11' Caribe with a 9.9 2 stroke (soon to be a 15 Yamaha).
Autopilot
Standard electronics, but I'm leaning toward the iPad for most of it.

I'll post here, as things progress. I took my first stab at the video thing, when I was figuring this boat thing out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMCSYTLcaNA
Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Yes, I have done a lot of sailing, a lot of Hobie cat racing, mini toner mono hull racing, and some long distance mono and cat cruising. I have brought a mono back from Cancun to St Pete, in the winter, not fun. I lived in Hawaii in 75-76, and had an opportunity to help a couple finish their 50' cat and sail it to Hawaii in 77 from here in Florida.. They knew nothing about fiberglass work or electronics, or engines, anything else, it was all me. When we took off they knew zero on how to navigate, and I ended up getting off at the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal, my big mistake. But I did OK. With a sailboat, you are at the mercy of the weather. Motorboat you can power through. If you have time a sailboat is great, and saves lots of money. Obviously many do it and prove it. Good luck out there.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #14
SnapperLuke

I think you just read my mind! This is also a dream of mine that hopefully one day I can do. The cat looks awesome man! how long have you been sailing?

Also, if you ever need a professional video/film guy onboard let me know! shooting/editing video, sailing, and free diving are my favorite things in the world, I'd love a chance to get to shoot part of a trip like this!!!

Good luck man!!!
SnapperLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
TheNomadTrip
Sailing/Spearing Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1 View Post
Motorboat you can power through. If you have time a sailboat is great, and saves lots of money.
That's it, in a nutshell. In the case of cats, I think they're almost a hybrid. With twin engines that push the boat at an easy 6-7 knots, you can motor when you need and sail when you can. And they tend to sail pretty damn well, especially with folding props, so any tradeoff in sailing ability (for the ability to motor) tends to be pretty minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapperLuke View Post
I think you just read my mind! This is also a dream of mine that hopefully one day I can do. The cat looks awesome man! how long have you been sailing?
Great minds, eh? I haven't been sailing long enough to make my Mom comfortable with what I'm doing. But I'll soon be making up for lost time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapperLuke View Post
Also, if you ever need a professional video/film guy onboard let me know! shooting/editing video, sailing, and free diving are my favorite things in the world, I'd love a chance to get to shoot part of a trip like this!!!
That's a really unique skillset that has a ton of value to me. Check your PM's.