Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #2761
Capt.Gene

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

I know the coastal Gulf temp runs close to my pool temp in E Pasco county, and its 72 much to my amazement.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #2762
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

64 degrees this past week off Pasco. Might be a little warmer now.

Vis wasn’t great, maybe 20’ in 40fsw. Worse inside of that.

I’m going tomorrow off Tarpon/Dunedin. I’ll report back.

I haven’t been diving this year yet!!!

C
Old 02-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #2763
Seal Rock

I was out on the surf ski yesterday and a couple times ended up in the drink, no wet suit and not even close to being cold, my best guess low 70s. The vis looked pretty good being that I was 300 yards off the key islands and could see the bottom everywhere.

Id have to say we are being treated to an early opener of the season! Happy hunting, videoing, whatever. Time to get this boat up and running, kinda caught with my pants down.
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #2764
Russell stalk

Went out of long boat pass today rod and reelin it...
Had about 20' of viz from the top of the boat down the anchor line in 30' of water.
Could see the structure of the 7 mile artificial reef in 40' of water.
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #2765
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Damn. The fish will be on the move, especially given this coming week will be all warm. Spring time is here folks. The only problem is that draconian regs prevent one from taking anything.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #2766
Dbrown

Went out of Clearwater pass yesterday. It is still cold despite the top water reads. Very cold. First dive was in 34 foot. Comfortable 61 degrees there. 20 foot of Vert Viz, 15 of horizontal. Lot of big sheephead there so shot 3 of them and a hog. Second dive was in 50 foot. Went deeper looking for bigger hogs. Nabbed a nice one. Much colder. 56 degrees. 30' Vert Viz, 20' Horiz.
Went deeper. 65'. Uncomfortable cold. 54 degrees. Knew after I shot 3rd nice male I was headed up for a warm shower and cold beer! Lot of gags. ARS were plentiful and holing up under the ledge. Weird. Didn't see any other predators except me. Perhaps the cold? Particulate in water. 40' Vert viz, 30' Horiz. Saw gags on each dive. More plentiful out deep. ARS I only saw on deeper dive.

Last edited by Dbrown; 02-18-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #2767
grey2112

Went out of Seminole today on my wife's boat for some hook-and-line fishing. Water temp on the sounder said 70, and it felt it. Don't know about any deeper, though. Nice viz, but a strong current.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #2768
fishkillapro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Went out of Clearwater pass yesterday. It is still cold despite the top water reads. Very cold. First dive was in 34 foot. Comfortable 61 degrees there. 20 foot of Vert Viz, 15 of horizontal. Lot of big sheephead there so shot 3 of them and a hog. Second dive was in 50 foot. Went deeper looking for bigger hogs. Nabbed a nice one. Much colder. 56 degrees. 30' Vert Viz, 20' Horiz.
Went deeper. 65'. Uncomfortable cold. 54 degrees. Knew after I shot 3rd nice male I was headed up for a warm shower and cold beer! Lot of gags. ARS were plentiful and holing up under the ledge. Weird. Didn't see any other predators except me. Perhaps the cold? Particulate in water. 40' Vert viz, 30' Horiz. Saw gags on each dive. More plentiful out deep. ARS I only saw on deeper dive.

I second this report. Thermocline was a B in 50-60ft. A difference of 6-10 degrees in some spots. 56* on bottom. Cuz was so so. Fish were thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #2769
Russell stalk

Out of anclote Sunday, 40' water was 68. Viz was top to bottom but very hazy. Not much in the hard bottom except for a few hogs. Came in to 30 ish and seen everything! It was like a exhibition tank at sea world! The gags were swimming in schools of spade fish around the structure! Never seen anything like that! Aj's were going crazy! Big 20"+ snapper running around. Some of the gags were pushing 36"+ viz was 25' good day overall. We shot about 8 mangos, 5 Sherpa, 5 hogs.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #2770
R.Boonfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell stalk View Post
Out of anclote Sunday, 40' water was 68. Viz was top to bottom but very hazy. Not much in the hard bottom except for a few hogs. Came in to 30 ish and seen everything! It was like a exhibition tank at sea world! The gags were swimming in schools of spade fish around the structure! Never seen anything like that! Aj's were going crazy! Big 20"+ snapper running around. Some of the gags were pushing 36"+ viz was 25' good day overall. We shot about 8 mangos, 5 Sherpa, 5 hogs.
Thank you for posting. Any other species in the 30' range that you saw?
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #2771
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Finally made it out this year!

Dunedin from 20’ to 45’. Vis was good at all depths.

Temp was 68 on surface. Out past 35’ there was a nasty thermo and much less fish. Shallow was loaded.

Fish of the trip: 10.1lb Sherpa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F57F587-1DD9-43EB-BD61-C923DC2E768D.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	237067  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #2772
Russell stalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Boonfield View Post
Thank you for posting. Any other species in the 30' range that you saw?
There were a few grunts we could of shot... no lionfish no triggers no ars no kings no macks... did see 1 red grouper that was at the edge of 20" but decided to let him go.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #2773
Reef_Ranger

Saturday 02/24/2018
Winds forecasted East at 10mph but were actually South at 15. Seas were a bit frresher than expected so stayed in shallow.
Off Anna Maria in 24fsw vis. was 10-12'. Sheep were in thick on the artificials water temp 72deg.
Reef_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #2774
Dbrown

Made it back out Sunday 2/25/18 out of Clearwater Pass. Went SW and stayed shallow based off some of the reports I was reading, plus I wanted to stay in the warmer water. First dive picked up 4 nice male hogfish in 30 foot of water. Viz was about 20 foot. Temp 67 degrees. Comfy in my 2 mil suit. There were some nice gags around too. Slid out another mile same depth and temp and ran into some gags that were......disturbing. That is the best word for it I guess. Big fish and a bunch of them. Disturbing big really. Some were legitimately in the 20# class, in 31 foot of water. Oh well, watched them swim. Closed out my Hog limit, picked off a few big Sheep for a friend, and a decent size mango.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #2775
CatDiver

Sunday out of JP, top to bottom in 60-65 feet and beautiful color, no real particulate. Nothing to shoot on 2 spots though other than gags and lionfish. Fish are all shallow. 45 feet had similar viz just greener; a few miles in at 35-40 feet was milky but fine. Hogs, gags, sheepshead all shallow. One diver shot 4 flounder in 45 feet including a big one that was 20 inches plus. If we could have shot gags, it would have been a ton of fish. But beautiful dive day nonetheless. Low 60's temp wise deeper but no problem with 5 mm.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote