Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Launching/landing a kayak in a mpa

If I launched and landed out of a mpa to access legal fishing grounds would I run into any issues with my catch upon landing. I know I am legally allowed to traverse a mpa as long as I do not fish it but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with actually doing it
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Re: Launching/landing a kayak in a mpa

Should be a non-issue unless you
1) Have fishing gear in the water while crossing
2) Are diving while crossing

For example, I could, in theory, swim across an MPA with a stringer full of fish. When I get to land and DF&G jumps out of the bushes, what did they see?

Was I making drops on my way across with a loaded speargun? Or did I unload my gun before crossing into the MPA and make a direct line to short without making any drops?

If you came to shore with a loaded speargun and made drops while swimming in.... expect a ticket.

Behave the same way in your Kayak. Unload and store your guns and paddle right across.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
Should be a non-issue unless you
1) Have fishing gear in the water while crossing
2) Are diving while crossing

For example, I could, in theory, swim across an MPA with a stringer full of fish. When I get to land and DF&G jumps out of the bushes, what did they see?

Was I making drops on my way across with a loaded speargun? Or did I unload my gun before crossing into the MPA and make a direct line to short without making any drops?

If you came to shore with a loaded speargun and made drops while swimming in.... expect a ticket.

Behave the same way in your Kayak. Unload and store your guns and paddle right across.
Thanks, I know it’s legal just wanted to make sure people haven’t ran into any issues
Old 09-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Otis Driftwood
"the hold out pic"

Point lobos staff denied me access to traverse. Probably not within the law to do so.

At Santa Cruz the volunteer park docents said I had to disassemble my spear gun to traverse. Also probably not legally required. I did comply with the request by removing the bands and tucking them away. That would make it easier to clear up any confusion as to if I was spearing.
Otis Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
Sanny

in my experiences, I've done four trips to Scorpoin Anchorage for multiple days (4-5 day trips) with a couple other buddies. The ranger and fish/ game officers were always super cool- we met a lady fish and game officer on the island one year who also spearfished. Every year they said that they required us to process all the fish we shot before coming back through the MPA. We would land on a small beach (shipwreck beach), fillet all the fish, put it into ziplocks, launch, and go back through the MPA. They never hassled us. All the best with the area you're interested in.
Aaron
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
PigStikr
The Stalker

I would def. call UR local office and explain what you wanted to do before trying it. Most of the biologists are cool but the wardens can be real jerks at times. Write down the recommendations and get a name to reference. Then at least you have some kind of coverage, and they will be aware of what is going on.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Thanks guys, I'll post with any issues or success I run into.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #8
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

I have never been hassled.

It might be worth taking a gps if you have one with the mpa bounderies in it, so you could show you were aware of the mpa and knew where it was legal to spear. Then again, maybe overkill.