Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Unhappy RIP Chris and Patrick - Fort Lauderdale friends die cave-diving in underwater spring

Fort Lauderdale friends die cave-diving in underwater spring where others have perished

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sun-s...android-att-us

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Re: RIP Chris and Patrick - Fort Lauderdale friends die cave-diving in underwater spr

I'm not even scuba scertified....but waiting 4 hours to call for help (safety diver) doesn't seem normal
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Re: RIP Chris and Patrick - Fort Lauderdale friends die cave-diving in underwater spr

Rest in Peace.

I am not the type to dive caves, so maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this: Is there a "usual" cause for the deaths in Eagles Nest, or is each incident pretty unique? Is it getting lost? Problems with gas mix at depth? Something else entirely?

Scary stuff. My prayers go out to the families.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
aguafina

All the things you mentioned plus a bunch more...add silt, visual disorientation, panic, and any diver, regardless of experience, had better be ready for eternity. These guys seemed to have known what they were doing, were safety conscious, knew the dangers and were probably prepared...for the known. It's the unknown that kills. My condolences to the families of these guys.

I have dove "cenotes" in Tulum with a private guide. It was very controlled, very interesting...once, no fish to speak of, not my bag of hammers.
aguafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
North Star
Max

260 feet. Wonder if they were on air.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
..... Wonder if they were on air.
They were on JJ RB's
Old 11-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
gcracker89

Every death is a terrible thing and a loss for many. Eagles nest is a spectacular dive following the pond floor slopping down to a pocket in the bottom is a tube. You slide down and thru the tube coming out in the top of a ballroom that is so large your light won't reach the other side. as you continue down you level off above the debris cone from here you can go up stream or down stream and your journey from the cavern zone in to the cave you head down to the bottom of the cone at just less than 130 feet. From here the cave goes as deep as 292' with most of its depth 220'-250'
the passageways have overhangs, and corners visibilities to 200'
My first cavern dive we got a glimpse in to cave.
The siren call to look around the next corner and go deeper in the cave you feel like the first person to ever been in that spot, for me the pull to see around the next corner is like there must be a pot of gold just around the next corner.
To those that have passed enjoying our great sport you are missed we mourn your passing.
Dave