Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #76
Bill McIntyre

Re: Where to buy--thoughts on LDS vs Online

I'm not certain that added numbers of scuba divers makes it viable for people to invent more gear for anything but scuba divers, and that doesn't help a freediver.

And I bet that there are quite a few freedivers who don't think its a good idea to create more scuba divers anyway because they just dive in packs and scare away our fish or make it impossible for us to dive our spots. But of course its different out here, with most serious spearfisherman being freedivers and most scuba divers not spearfishing or even being hostile to spearfishing. We don't have a blend of spearfishermen and scuba divers being the same people. In general, they are two separate groups.

In any case, when I shop on line, its usually not to shop price- its to find what I need at all.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #77
Ron S

Re: Where to buy--thoughts on LDS vs Online

Bill, I'm sure your comments regarding the split between freedivers and scuba divers in regard to spearfishing are quite valid in Southern Cal, but in my limited exposure here in NorCal I haven't seen it. At least in the Fort Brag area I see as many, if not more, single scuba divers taking to the water speargun in hand, than I do serious freedivers. Of course, there are also the ab divers, a lot of which also spearfish, but if you look at that group, it's comprised of what I believe is an even mix of purist freedivers and scuba divers that only freedive because the law says they can't use scuba for ab diving.
Now I suppose I should qualify my observations by saying that most of the places I dive are the more popular and relatively accessible locations, so I'm probably seeing a higher percentage of scuba divers than are at other areas, but the fact remains that there are a lot of scuba spearos out there. Hmm, not sure there's any point to this, so I recon I'll stop rambling...
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote