Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte
Re: san diego nearshore topography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official WG View Post
Funny.
It will all be called something else come January anyway, right?
Why is that? Some kind of hands off no kill zone?
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
Zenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Schulte View Post
Why is that? Some kind of hands off no kill zone?
I think the borderlinerline for the new MLPA starting Jan 1st starts at south windandsea. South through PB point will be off limits. That is my understanding anyway.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #18
surforfish
Ocho Loko

Send a message via AIM to surforfish

yes that area will be off limits(pb point to i believe big rock), also the 3 parking spots is not hogans, hogans is 2 beach entrys north, the 3 parking spots is dumptrucks or north bird(depending on the spot you surf, but doesnt make a diff for diving). its cool to dive there,i havent found much but there are some very large shelves out there that you can spend days on.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
thesergie
gari-baldy

I went out there this morning. You're right there are some nice large shelves out there! the vis was bad though so i couldn't get the full experience >
thesergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Gary Schulte

On scuba and with a flashlight you can find lots of neat stuff in those deep ledges that border the sand patches. Back in the late 1970's I would take my tank off so I could skinny in there for that big green ab that lived in the back. I've got many underwater hours logged on those beautiful reefs.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #21
Spearforfun

That spot is awesome. I have been out there many nights looking for lobster. I spent my first year diving just going up and down the coast looking for areas I could get in the water easily. That spot can be tricky in high surf though so be careful. I had conditions shift while I was on scuba a while back and when I came up, the wave size had doubled. I ended up making it not too bad but my buddy was washed into the wall and had to swim out and make another "approach" to the rock ramp leading out of the water.

Next SDF meeting is in December. I am not sure what the date is but you will see a notice on this Board.
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
Nerka
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesergie View Post
I went out there this morning. You're right there are some nice large shelves out there! the vis was bad though so i couldn't get the full experience >
I just got out from that spot, the vis is actually good for south La Jolla. How deep were you? It gets better in 15ft+ of water. Also today was gray so that impacts how far you can see. Also vis tends to improve if you get over reef structure rather than sand / boa kelp.
Nerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
thesergie
gari-baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearforfun View Post
Next SDF meeting is in December. I am not sure what the date is but you will see a notice on this Board.
Thanks i'll be looking out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
I just got out from that spot, the vis is actually good for south La Jolla. How deep were you? It gets better in 15ft+ of water. Also today was gray so that impacts how far you can see. Also vis tends to improve if you get over reef structure rather than sand / boa kelp.
I went pretty far, probably where it hit 20ft. It felt like the vis was clear 8ft then pretty murky beyond that. It was a little better at the bottom. I though cloudy/gray conditions would make it easier to see underwater because the light doesn't illuminate the particles floating around. There was definitely enough light in the water, there was just too much stuff floating around this time. I guess i'm so used to good conditions near the cove.

With a place like this where there's reef structures all over would you pick a good spot and spend a big chunk of your time going down and waiting (rinse and repeat) or do you keep checking other places out. When i don't see any fish i don't know if i'm doing something stupid and scaring them or if they just don't exist in that area.

Last edited by thesergie; 11-17-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #24
Nerka
dude

Quote:
Thanks i'll be looking out for it.

I went pretty far, probably where it hit 20ft. It felt like the vis was clear 8ft then pretty murky beyond that. It was a little better at the bottom. I though cloudy/gray conditions would make it easier to see underwater because the light doesn't illuminate the particles floating around. There was definitely enough light in the water, there was just too much stuff floating around this time. I guess i'm so used to good conditions near the cove.

With a place like this where there's reef structures all over would you pick a good spot and spend a big chunk of your time going down and waiting (rinse and repeat) or do you keep checking other places out. When i don't see any fish i don't know if i'm doing something stupid and scaring them or if they just don't exist in that area.
Did you look under ledges? I saw a few legal sheephead under ledges, a light helps.
I typically cover ground until I find a "fishy" spot then will do some aspetto or real slow swimming. Today and did little aspetto and didn't see any big fish, last time I did more aspetto and got a nice fish. With that said there are many variables, but I think, the biggest reason I don't do well today is that I was looking for fish, when I don't look for fish, I find fish. Try not looking for fish..
Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #25
thesergie
gari-baldy

Quote:
Did you look under ledges? I saw a few legal sheephead under ledges, a light helps.
I typically cover ground until I find a "fishy" spot then will do some aspetto or real slow swimming. Today and did little aspetto and didn't see any big fish, last time I did more aspetto and got a nice fish. With that said there are many variables, but I think, the biggest reason I don't do well today is that I was looking for fish, when I don't look for fish, I find fish. Try not looking for fish..
Dang I need a light then. And the searching begins.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #26
Gary Schulte

Dang I need a light then

A smaller size light hooked to a retractable real works very well. All the good stuff lives in the nooks and crannies. Plus the light brings out the colors.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
thesergie
gari-baldy

i went out at boomers today and saw a huge sheepshead under a shelf. it was black with a bright pink stripe. about the size of my arm. biggest i've seen so far. Too bad it cruised into the dark!! yup flashlight x2
Old 11-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
Gary Schulte

Quote:
i went out at boomers today and saw a huge sheepshead under a shelf. it was black with a bright pink stripe. about the size of my arm. biggest i've seen so far. Too bad it cruised into the dark!! yup flashlight x2
Back in about 1977 I blasted an 18 pound male sheepshead at that spot at north Bird. We went out one night on scuba and I didn't have my gun. He was sleeping in a ledge. Came back the next night and got him. I was taking Marine Biology at Grossmont College so I brought him in and the instructor dissected him for the class. It was cool because we were learning about species that change sex like these do. I can't remember what they call that,,,
Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #29
Nerka
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Schulte View Post
Back in about 1977 I blasted an 18 pound male sheepshead at that spot at north Bird. We went out one night on scuba and I didn't have my gun. He was sleeping in a ledge. Came back the next night and got him. I was taking Marine Biology at Grossmont College so I brought him in and the instructor dissected him for the class. It was cool because we were learning about species that change sex like these do. I can't remember what they call that,,,
protogyny

proto - first
gyny- female
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #30
Gary Schulte

Quote:
protogyny

proto - first
gyny- female
I don't think that was it. Maybe something like Chazbonogyny or close to that.