Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Mxgrogg

What are good replacement spears for the Cressi Geronimo Elite?...besides Cressi.

I just lost my first Geronimo Elite spear. Cressi is a beautiful gun, but the parts are pretty hard to get, so I was wondering if a Rob Allen, AB Biller or other noteworthy replacement spear would work well?
Mxgrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
josephglaze

Re: What are good replacement spears for the Cressi Geronimo Elite?...besides Cressi.

hey MX I have a Cressi Geronimo that I use at the jetties and close rigs. Last year I bent my shaft and was in the market alot like you are now. Anyhow I went with Mako's spear. It works great for the gun but I will let you know I had to shave down the half moon so the spear would lock in. Hope this helps
josephglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
theburb

Re: What are good replacement spears for the Cressi Geronimo Elite?...besides Cressi.

ra yes ab no
theburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
apexdiver
Tony

What size cressi?
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxgrogg View Post
I just lost my first Geronimo Elite spear. Cressi is a beautiful gun, but the parts are pretty hard to get, so I was wondering if a Rob Allen, AB Biller or other noteworthy replacement spear would work well?
You will need a shaft with a euro notch. Our south african shafts are extremely strong and tough and will work with your gun.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Euro-Me...per-p/mnts.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
cellowithgills

I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking for a thread shaft to use with a slip tip on my Elite 105cm. I'm going with a Mako.
cellowithgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Rob Allen shafts would work perfectly for your gun. You can get them from 6.6 to 7.5mm. Id personally stick with a 7mm or 9/32 spear with that gun

You can order them from freediveshop.com or roballendiving.com

Rob Allen also makes threaded shafts too sold on freediveshop web site!!!

Good luck.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Marco

I would get either a 6.6 mm RA or a 7 mm one size shorter. Otherwise, you'll end up unbalancing your gun and will become too nose heavy.

If your speargun is open muzzle, go with a sharkfins/pins shaft. If it is closed muzzle, you might need to change the wishbones since metal wishbones that come with european guns don't engage very well in South African notched shafts.

Keep in mind that you want to buy a shaft 40 cm longer than your nominal gun measure. 30 cm if you go with 7 mm.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

When it comes to shafts it's best to get it right the first time. Rob Allen's are renowned for being some of the best in the world. At around $40 it's an easy decision.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
bluebacore

Go with the shark fin shafts change your muzzle to open if necessary. if you can get titanium or spring steel shaft. Stainless shafts bend with not to much effort from a large fish. They are pretty easy to get fairly straight again after being bent. Grooved shafts will snap at the grove when a big fish holes up or takes off between some rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0936 bent shaft.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	217316  
bluebacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
primalpete

I picked up a custom gun with a cressi comanche handle. Tried both a rob allen and a mako shaft. Only the mako shaft worked.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
paolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxgrogg View Post
What size gun is it? I know from experience that the mako shafts will fit, as well as any other european brand with a european trigger-mech (salvimar, picasso, etc). A friend of mine in houston put his up for sale a little while ago, i think he still has them. check out "geofri" and ask him
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebacore View Post
Go with the shark fin shafts change your muzzle to open if necessary. if you can get titanium or spring steel shaft. Stainless shafts bend with not to much effort from a large fish. They are pretty easy to get fairly straight again after being bent. Grooved shafts will snap at the grove when a big fish holes up or takes off between some rocks.
Where do you get titanium shafts? Not that I'm buying one, but just curious.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
bluebacore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Where do you get titanium shafts? Not that I'm buying one, but just curious.
I get mine in here in Indonesia from several local gun builders. I believe the source is from South Africa and they may have come through Andre spear guns. Another friend tells me he gets them from Surabaya (east Java). I Have to buy 2 meter unfinished shafted and have cut to length and barb installed.Was sold when my friend slammed it into a anvil 8 times and the point was still as sharp as it was prior to said slamming afterwards. Worth every penny.

Last edited by bluebacore; 05-05-2015 at 09:58 AM.
bluebacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #15
Ontogeny

I walked into Neptonics in SC and picked up a Rob Allen shaft for my Cressi Geronimo Elite. Love it.
Ontogeny is offline   Reply With Quote