Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
scottyboy679

Smile Speargun Advice. All opinions welcome

Hello Spearboard,

I am currently looking to buy a new speargun and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on good brands, styles, etc.

I have been spearfishing for 4 years and have been using my 120 cm Mako Oceanic for all of those years. I love the gun, but I feel like it is time to add a gun to my collection (very small collection of 1) to change things up.

I am looking for a gun that could be used as a hybrid between kelp beds and blue water since I like in Southern California. I am thinking along the lines of a wooden gun, or maybe even a hybrid and Wong spearguns have caught my eye since they have a lifetime warranty and I have only heard good things about them.

So I have some questions that I hope can be answered or for someone to shine some light on them for me:

What are the benefits of a hybrid gun compared to a wood gun?
What size would be good?
Are there any great wooden gun brands that I should consider besides for Wong and Riffe?
What makes a gun a Euro gun and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Any information would be awesome.

Thanks for your time,

Scott

P.S. I just graduated from college and have a lot of spare time on my hands now so if anyone is looking for a dive buddy in the Long Beach, LA, or OC area send me a PM.
scottyboy679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
apexdiver
Tony

Re: Speargun Advice. All opinions welcome

I am getting an ulusub when i get the money.The 130mh,one i am getting comes with reel and really nice gun case for 700$.I have heard nothing but good things about them.By the way the 130mh or rh is a 50 inch and the 150mh or rh is a 60inch.They also make a euro.http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=142370
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
scottyboy679

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
I am getting an ulusub when i get the money.The 130mh,one i am getting comes with reel and really nice gun case for 700$.I have heard nothing but good things about them.By the way the 130mh or rh is a 50 inch and the 150mh or rh is a 60inch.They also make a euro.http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=142370
So do you prefer the enclosed track to the open track? And what is the difference between the Euro and the regular rear handle?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy679 View Post
So do you prefer the enclosed track to the open track? And what is the difference between the Euro and the regular rear handle?
I personally think enclosed don't make much of a difference so i am going for an open track.I believe the rear handle is wider making it able to handle more bands and take a thicker shaft also does not give as much recoil,i am not fully sure on this but if anyone can chime in i would appreciate it.

Last edited by apexdiver; 08-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
I personally think enclosed don't make much of a difference so i am going for an open track.I believe the rear handle is wider making it able to handle more bands and take a thicker shaft also does not give as much recoil,i am not fully sure on this but if anyone can chime in i would appreciate it.
Wow kid I really don't think you have enough experience to be giving advice on this stuff.
A 130 is a big gun. I doubt you can even load it. I have seen personally about 3 ulusubs that were under weighted. I'm not trying to dog them out, they are definitely nice guns and I understand it is probably hard to get EVERY single one right.
Also and enclosed track is a big difference as far as accuracy goes. The simple physics of the design will tell you that.
Sorry dude, I'm not trying to be a dick.

OP
Shoot what you are comfortable with. I don't like pipe guns but I have shot them and shot fish with them and a lot of people like them. I'm glad I have a really good friend who is my personal gun builder. He always gets me dialed in and I shoot lots of fish with his guns. His name is "The plumber" on here. Hit him up, he'll answer all your questions.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
Wow kid I really don't think you have enough experience to be giving advice on this stuff.
A 130 is a big gun. I doubt you can even load it. I have seen personally about 3 ulusubs that were under weighted. I'm not trying to dog them out, they are definitely nice guns and I understand it is probably hard to get EVERY single one right.
Also and enclosed track is a big difference as far as accuracy goes. The simple physics of the design will tell you that.

OP
Shoot what you are comfortable with. I don't like pipe guns but I have shot them and shot fish with them and a lot of people like them. I'm glad I have a really good friend who is my personal gun builder. He always gets me dialed in and I shoot lots of fish with his guns. His name is "The plumber" on here. Hit him up, he'll answer all your questions.
Do you build a bunch of guns?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
jujitsu4me

PM sent
jujitsu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

Did you do a search yet?

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
I know i don't have that much experience just trying to help as much as i can.I have shot both enclosed and open track mid handles and have found not much difference in accuracy.Ethan i have loaded a 60inch gil gacula,not easily but got it done so i shouldn't have much problem with a 130.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
scottyboy679

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaknsteel View Post
Did you do a search yet?
I have read a lot of reviews and have researched different guns but I thought I would do a little research myself this way, especially from experienced divers who have tried multiple guns in the area. Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #11
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

Quote:
I have read a lot of reviews and have researched different guns but I thought I would do a little research myself this way, especially from experienced divers who have tried multiple guns in the area. Any suggestions?
Coupla key strokes here on SB and you will find MOUNTAINS of info on hybrids, euros, midhandles, woodguns, Wongs, Riffe, Herranan, Sea Sniper, reel, floatline, etc.

Your 120 is a very versatile gun but I'm sure you've found it tough in thick kelp
in bad vis. Also not a good reef gun when pounding rocks. Maybe you should get a wood gun or hybrid that can shoot a 55" x 5/16" diam shaft with sliptip, and another smaller euro 90 reef gun.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Big_Berg

Google is our friend

http://www.spearfishingworld.com/how...-speargun.html
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
scottyboy679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berg View Post
I came across that site. Was just looking for a little more info of opinions and what not.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
Do you build a bunch of guns?
Haha Why do you keep saying things that I'm not saying?

Same team bro.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
What are the benefits of a hybrid gun compared to a wood gun?
What size would be good?
Are there any great wooden gun brands that I should consider besides for Wong and Riffe?
What makes a gun a Euro gun and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
I'll take a shot at this, why not
1) supposed improved maneuverability, I personally cant stand the way hybrid style guns move through the water, just not for me at all. Go take someone elses gun for a test dive and see if they suit you

2) You can literally shoot anything on this earth with a 130cm gun
(also one thing to take note about the ulusubs is that their measurement system is total length, not barrel length as is generally standard when giving a gun length in cm, the 165 is much more like a "true" 130"

3) seasniper, gill, ulusub, to name 3

4) "Euroguns" generally just mean a rear handle placement to us people in the USA

I've had so many damn guns over the years, I've shot almost every brand under the sun and tried so many different configurations when it comes to shafts/bands/wraps. Over the past year and change ive moved almost completely to 130cm guns for my big fish hunting. My personal favorite for my style of diving is the pathos laser in a 130, the weight saved from the carbon seems to make a difference to me when you're trying to dive all day long to decent depth, If i had the extra cash lying around I might opt for one of the bleu tecs, they look/feel really nice. My next gun purchase will be a bleutec 140 for grouper hunting and when I go out for real bluewater fish in mexico and beyond. I've taken grouper to 80lbs, yellows to 60lbs, dorado, wsb pretty much anything you can think of with my 130's. I really like that length for California and beyond, joy to swim around with all day unlike a lot of the huge wooden guns I used to carry around

I'd cut the 120 down to a 90 or a 100 and pick up a 130 if I were in your position
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote