Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Flfreediver04

Rob allen Safety

Hey guys thanks for all the advice on which speargun i should choose. I ended up picking up a rob allen tuna 800.
The gun looks nice and feels like a tank but the safety is very stubborn and takes about 3-5 minutes to move from safe to fire
does anyone have a suggestion to fix this? Or is it just how rob allen safety's are?
Thanks in Advance
Andrew
Flfreediver04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
spear&loathing

Re: Rob allen Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flfreediver04 View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the advice on which speargun i should choose. I ended up picking up a rob allen tuna 800.
The gun looks nice and feels like a tank but the safety is very stubborn and takes about 3-5 minutes to move from safe to fire
does anyone have a suggestion to fix this? Or is it just how rob allen safety's are?
Thanks in Advance
Andrew
When I first got mine I sprayed the safety with silicone and worked it back and forth 20 or 30 times. I regularly spray it with silicone and it works fine. Many people don't bother and glue the safety in the fire position.
spear&loathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
hau
peskadot

OP--Set the RA safety in the "fire" position. Mix up a dab of JB Weld and let it set for 15minutes. Then apply enough JB Weld into the safety well to keep the safety from EVER moving again. Let dry over night and you will NEVER have another problem with the RA safety
Hope this helps
Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
ChadMcD
Vegas Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hau View Post
OP--Set the RA safety in the "fire" position. Mix up a dab of JB Weld and let it set for 15minutes. Then apply enough JB Weld into the safety well to keep the safety from EVER moving again. Let dry over night and you will NEVER have another problem with the RA safety
Hope this helps
x2

I own a few Rob Allen guns and haven't had to do this though. I've never had an issue. However, it seems like this would be the best option for you.
ChadMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Spear_Row

I had the same issue when my gun was new. The entire first season the gun was pretty well locked into the fire position. Last winter I spent about 30 minutes moving it back and forth, and now it works ok. Not great, but ok.

I think the parts are plastic and a small variation in mold can make a difference, until you wear it down. Maybe not, but that's what I recall...
Spear_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Superglue in the fire position, the RA safety sucks but all manufacturers really should stop putting them on guns altogether. Drop of superglue and never **** with it again. First thing I did to my RA guns when I had them.
Only real safety is slack rubbers, dive safe.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Herby

Take the mech apart, pull the safety switch out, file off the knob, then put it all back together. The switch will still still move back and forth.... but do absolutely nothing.
Prolly doesn't do any good to your warranty, but it's an RA so the chance of ever having to claim on your warranty is slim anyway.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote