Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
Rootbeer

Re: Keys Closures - You'll never come dive here again.

Wow! I have never spearfished in the keys but I feel for for you divers so I
will take the time to write to them...

Follow Our Dive Team Adventures
on Instagram and Youtube ~Look for:
"TeamJesusFreakSpearfishing"
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #32
slowboat

Here is the name of the Director of all the FKNMS ; Dan Basta

He is the boss over the Superintendent Sean Morton , Beth Devlin , Donahuage, and Chris Bergh.

Several months ago we had a phone campaign to request the venue of meetings be held also in Key West , Beth Devlin said they would consider it , if enough people called. Fish Monster radio, Charter associations , and through word of mouth , people called in . Devlin conveniently went on vacation, and failed to unload her answering machine, Donahughe was supposed to take our calls and document them, he failed to record them also. This was a systematically effort by 2 management level supervisors to not allow the public input process to occur.
Direct your comments to

Dan.Basta@noaa.gov
He is where the buck stops
Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #33
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Fishing limits are fine the way they are. Some people spend a lot of money to go fishing and don't go out as often as you would think. If they want to keep their full limit, I am ok with that.

What I do believe in is species closures during spawning season. This is the only way everyone wins.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #34
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

Wtf.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #35
Castronova
The Conch Republic

New Marine Sanctuary meeting scheduled for August 20th in Key West to discuss closures. When I know the time and place I will update.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Official press release.

http://www.keysnet.com/2013/07/31/48...BSBrg.facebook
Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #37
kwyoungspear

What ever happened to democracy? Hopefully we can change this
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #38
seachaser132

i think we just need to season more fish instead of drastic changes in sanctuaries. We are overfishing but i have seen a huge increase in grouper populations after the began the closure. If all the fish had different seasons we would still have something to shoot year round.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #39
Castronova
The Conch Republic

While I agree with you we should close known spawning seasons I don't know how you can say we are over fishing. I have been out quite a bit in the last few months and have the most muttons, dogs, king fish, groupers, yellowjacks than I've ever seen. And everywhere.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
seachaser132

if you look at now compared to 20-30 years ago, in the long run we, (not as spearos but as the human race), are overfishing
Old 07-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #41
slowboat

Seachaser, you are young , I am old, 40 years com fishing now. fishing actually has improved drastically in 20-30 the past years . Now we don't compete with fish traps , longlines , and had little enforcement meaning a lot of poaching.
The improvement came through lowered bag limits, raising size limits, elimination of fish traps, and the establishment of commercial limited entry permits.
I used to fishtrap, We would catch 10,000 lbs of fish a trip, in 4 days.
Black Groupers back then were legal at 16 inches. Raising the size limit to 24 inches over a period of years restored the stock , NOT the winter closure.
Now we kill most grouper stock within a month of the opening, used to we spaced the poundage out over the year.
Reducing the mutton bag limit during the spawn to 3 per person would allow everyone to keep working (charter boats) while removing the monetary incentive from the poachers selling illegally. You still get to fish , the fuel dock makes money , the marine hardware store , your local economy flourishes. Closures are dangerous and kill the local economy .
There is always a balance that benefits us all. btw , com limit during the spawn is 10 per trip regardless of length of trip. so the com guys get less than the recreational guy.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
kywestfreediver

Send a message via AIM to kywestfreediver

All the people saying they should just ban commercial are just as bad as the people trying to close the keys off to fishing! That is a selfish way to think that would get this ocean closed off even quicker. What about those that are not able to go fishing/diving and buy fish from fish houses or supermarkets? F-them right.. if you can't catch it you don't deserve it??? This is America, people can make a living how they seem fit as long as it is legal. Ever heard of the strategy "divide and conquer"?

What concerns me with this large proposal is if they are trying to negotiate closed areas.. Like, we will keep the tortugas the way it has always been, but only if we close 20 square miles S of the Marquesas. As hunters and gatherers alike we need to keep a unified team to oppose these maniacs.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #43
slowboat

There will be little negotiating at the upcoming series of meetings.
200 plus people , with many fishery leaders told the Sanctuary management that expansion of the zones are not acceptable and will not be allowed to occur. The Charter associations now have lawyers and will fight this in court if needed.
Bill Kelly , Tony Irrocca , David Horan , all attended. The Sanctuary management tried to insert the additional zones in the advisory panels vote mid week; released a press statement on Friday and expected the panel to vote on Monday. Making SCAPEGOATS out of the advisory panel volunteers.
When in fact Beth Devilin, Donahughe, and Chris Bergh instructed these areas be added at the last hour. They are scientists for the FKNMS.
It was shown at the meeting that the science being used was from 2000 and not applicable . Most of the science also had no valid reason for closures other than a vague term "fish migration corridor" .
The Sanctuary is in big trouble right now , this has dropped their credibility tremendously and the gill net not being removed from Rock key for 5 weeks is a glaring example of how they failed to properly respond and manage the existing areas they already have.

Beth Devilin , Donahughe are in trouble for failure to document public input regarding the request for a change of venue for the meetings to Key West.
They systematically showed a purposeful intent to not document our calls . This is public fraud and dereliction of duty and proves the "transparent " process is a lie. Over 90 people called in , only 7 were documented.
Call your Congressman Joe Garcia, demand their jobs be terminated. Your taxes pay their wages . Extreme ? NO, they certainly seem to have no problem with you losing your livelihood and job , while you pay their salaries.
Come to the meetings- tonight at the Harvey Government building in Key West.
This a FWC meeting but John Hunt is a key player in helping the Sanctuary to take the Western dry rocks outer bar, he with Don DeMaria are the authors of the closure, 3 years of research are invested in this theft and they will try to push it through.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
Wet Zen

Hey, these three meetings starting tonight are not about the Sanctuary Advisory Council's subcommittee's proposed closures. They are about Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic Fishery Management councils and FWC establishing clearer fishing rules. A totally different subject.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #45
Ryfish

I got a response from the email I sent to Chris Bergh. It looks canned and he said in the email that he has received a lot of emails.

"Hello, and thank you for reaching out to me. I have gotten quite a few emails on this subject so I’m providing a standard response to everyone and including links to information on the Sanctuary website that contain a lot more detail.

The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council, a community-based advisory group established to provide advice to sanctuary managers, is working with other members of the public and experts on Keys issues to develop recommendations about changes to marine zones and other sanctuary regulations. Starting with direction from the existing sanctuary management plan, the goals and objectives that the advisory council established for the ongoing marine zoning and regulatory review process, and public comments from public scoping in early summer 2012 the council has identified priority issues to be addressed through working groups, workshops and discussions in bi-monthly council meetings. Working groups allow the council to gather information from experts, user groups, scientists and anyone else via public comment opportunities. Information or advice resulting from working group discussions is presented to the council and may be incorporated as is or modified by the council when it makes recommendations to the sanctuary superintendent later this year.

The advisory council’s three working groups each completed several months of meetings since their work began in January 2013. Working group draft recommendations were developed using relevant scientific and other information, and may be viewed by following the working group links on this web page - http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/review/workgroups.html - and selecting the Draft Recommendations tab. Scientific and other information presented to the working groups and summaries of working group discussions can be found in the Notes tabs of each group’s web page. Draft recommendations will be presented to the advisory council at meetings this fall and winter, at which time the council will begin deliberations on all items in the Draft Advisory Council Regulatory and Zoning Alternatives Development Workplan.

To provide comments on working group draft recommendations or other workplan items, please contact your representative on the Sanctuary Advisory Council. You can find a link with member “seats” (boating, conservation and environment, diving, education and outreach, South Florida ecosystem restoration, commercial and recreational fishing, elected county government, submerged cultural resources, research and monitoring, tourism and the community at large) and contact information at this web page http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/sac/welcome.html?s=sac.

Thank you for your interest in the Florida Keys and the sanctuary.

Chris Bergh"