Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
UaVaj

Double Double Impaler Speargun Build

just put down a big deposit for two custom all teak double track spear guns.

bluewater 72
upper: 11/32 shaft w/ 5 band (160cm stretch)
lower: 19/64 shaft w/ 3 band (120cm stretch)

reef 60
upper: 19/64 shaft w/ 3 band (120cm stretch)
lower: 9/32 shaft w/ 2 band (80cm stretch)

eta completion is the week before xmas.

Last edited by UaVaj; 11-07-2016 at 09:15 PM.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver
Re: Double Double Impaler Speargun Build

Those guns won't shoot far with that band stretch!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Behslayer

Sounds like a heck of a build. Looking forward to seeing it. Jason's going to be up nights thinking those through. Should be a Recoil tamer with all that hardware underneath. You could probably get away with 4 bands on top and 2 on bottom and take away a little profile/stress.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
UaVaj

greekdiver
good eyes. fixed mm to cm.

Behslayer
recoil is one of the main concerns. Jason says he got that covered and will ballast heavy.

hopefully Jason can start up loading pictures and details of the ongoing build.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaVaj View Post
greekdiver
good eyes. fixed mm to cm.

Behslayer
recoil is one of the main concerns. Jason says he got that covered and will ballast heavy.

hopefully Jason can start up loading pictures and details of the ongoing build.
Enjoy your new guns
Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

hello guys

I have made two double shot guns before.
Both were 60" overall- and worked surprisingly well.
So , the smaller gun is no problem at all.
The larger one is a MONSTER gun- so I am going to have top do some testing to get the ballast right.
the ones I made in the part had two band slots- on top of one another - with about 1/4" between the two slots.
This worked ok - but it forced me to make them 2" tall.
This time - I am going to use - either holes to tie in the lower bands- or I am considering creating metal arm things to add the lower bands - and just use a regular band slot for the upper track.
I thought I could take apart some articulated wish bones and use the arms to attach to a straight metal - rod that is drilled through the gun- using the little axis pins that normally make the wishbones articulate- and attaching them to my little arm.
Manoa Matt (I think it was) actually posted a pic of something almost exactly what I was thinking of making- in my wedge shape hybrid thread- on page 10 or 11 - I think- this way - I can shrink the height profile to about 1 3/4"- which - after my 1 1/4" roundover bit- makes quite a nice rounded shape profile overall.
Like jon said - the spear underneath will add quite a bit of ballast
I will post pics as the build gets underway.
Right now- I just laminates the blanks and hung them up in the closet for two weeks- so this thread may sit for a while- but it will be back with a vengeance- soon enough.
I am now- just thinking about overal shape- since the gun has to be straight - in the side profile- I can only have angles on the sides- the top and bottom track need to be parallel.
Also - he wants top and bottom to be line shafts- which adds to the complexity - especially around the muzzle area.
I worked all this out before - but I will have to re visit all of this for this build.
Stand by folks.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
phil herranen

I have allways done my shared hole tie ins top and bottom for my o/u guns this leaves the sides clear for the lines . Are you going to use the handle with the built in reel mount?

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
I have allways done my shared hole tie ins top and bottom for my o/u guns this leaves the sides clear for the lines . Are you going to use the handle with the built in reel mount?
no - i'm going to use the neptonics double mech-
I plan to make a regular band slot for the top and use tie ins for the bottom track only. I only just glued up the teak so far- so plenty of time for design changes. I have only ever seen a couple of other double guns- they were HUGE compared to mine.
dimensions are going to be 1 3/4" tall- and the width is going to taper- maybe into a cuddlefish shape for the sides- idk how that will effect the line release tabs and mono wraps. I just don't want it to be too blocky.
I hate blocky spearguns. My first few guns were blocky and I have tried to make them less so - as I have gone along. With a double shot gun- it's difficult not to make a big rectangle and just knock the corners down with a 3/8" roundover or something.
We will see how it goes as far as nice shapes- once I get the technical stuff figured out. - like : I hate safeties on spear guns but on a double gun- it's a necessity. - the last two guns - I improvised cam style safeties that worked quite well- grenade pin style ones are easy to make - but are a pita.
any ideas for safeties?
the big gun will have a neptonics tuna mech
the small gun will have a nep reef mech
Old 11-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #9
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
no - i'm going to use the neptonics double mech-
I
There is(or was) a veriant of the neptonics o/u mech with a reel mount

Old 11-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
xrispearo
you cant see mee

What fish are you going to be shooting with this? What is the purpose or goal? I'm very interested in building one too for mahi
Old 11-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
What fish are you going to be shooting with this? What is the purpose or goal? I'm very interested in building one too for mahi
the 60" gun - is the all around gun- the reason this size was chosen - is because- @ 60" overall- that gives you 130cm stretch on top - but the double mech itself has to have enough space - and this places the handle at around 11" from the butt- and that is around the farthest back (towards the butt) you can get away with and with 60" overall and the handle at 11" - that make the bottom track around 90cm of stretch- if the gun was any shorter - the bottom track would be too small to do much of anything.
this gun would be perfect for mahi - but to be honest - you can shoot mahi with a pole spear- they tend to swim right up to you and turn sideways- so it's not really a good fish to judge what weapon you need. For wahoo - a 130cm is a good size and the 90 cm botom track is good for the second shot (kill shot) or to fend off the scalloped hammerheads that love to hang with wahoo for some reason.

For the second gun - 72" overall - with 11/32 top spear - this is a big tuna and billfish gun- and the bottom spear is good for sharks and kill shots - just like the first gun.. A slip on powerhead is great for the bottom spear to make deep blue go away from your world record big eye.hah.

I have built two over under guns before and they were both 60" and I loved them for scuba hunting- also - if you are a freeehsfter- there is nobody oin the world who can get off two shots faster than a double gun. so - for a free shafter - it's really a no brainer. Idk why more people don't use them for that - but maybe it has to do with the fact that the few double guns out there are HUGE and FAT and just too big for no good reason. I plan to correct that issue. I never saw phil H's ones - i'm sure they were nice - (judging from his other work) - but I have no way to comment - since I have never seen one - not even in pics. Actually - do you have any pics phil? I would LOVE to see some.- for ideas- especially the muzzle and how you made both lines wrap around the muzzle and then back. - I used 4 pins at the muzzle last time- 2 for each side
Old 11-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #12
phil herranen

Here is one of the o/a I have done ,if I remember right it was it was around 2" tall top shaft was 5/16 with 3 or 4 bands breakaway and bottom was 9/32" on a reel 2 bands
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=162002

You might like this one too it's not a double but you are into hibirds

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=142206

Old 12-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
UaVaj

it is the week before xmas.

teak lamination are done. however completion for the reef double is pushed to first week of jan 2017. as for the tuna double. perhaps the last week of jan 2017.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #14
UaVaj

here are some pix of the completed lamination from a few days ago.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
AEgir

"F#@K No!
You cannot borrow!"

Ain't that the truth