Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
chrisnewzealand

How to set up my new 120?

I have bought a 120cm Euro style speargun and was wondering what band combination/shaft is best?

The speargun is from Turkey and I have taken the trigger out so I can polish it (I work at a stainless factory). The trigger accepts square notch shafts

What have people tryed and what do they recommend?

It is to shoot what you guys call yellow-tail amber jack and we call King fish in New Zealand of size 10 to 30kg in water of around 15 meters visibility.

What I currently have in mind is a Riffe flopper shaft, 65", 9/32" thick with three 5/8" rubbers and a double wrap of line? Will this shoot well and accurately or will I get shaft whip? Has anybody tried this? any good?

chrisnewzealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Alexrom1207

Re: How to set up my new 120?

3x5/8 on a 120cm may give you some shaft whip. It may also result in a fair bit of recoil (that looks like a lean gun) which would further hurt accuracy. Although some guys will disagree because they shoot similar setups on riffe comp guns.

Either way. I don't know if you need 3x5/8 to be shooting kingfish. What were you thinking of for shooting distances?

In any case. 3x9/16 will give you more power than 2x5/8 and IMHO a smoother shot. That setup will probably not result in shaft whip.

Some sites also sell bulk rubber at 15mm, which is between 9/16 (14mm) and 5/8 (16mm). Although I'm not sure how much better/worse that will be in terms of the power vs accuracy trade off.

Generally, if you don't need the extra power, then it's always better to go with a less powerful setup (more accurate). So you may want to see whether 3x9/16 is powerful enough for what you want to do. I think it probably will be.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Riffe shafts bend pretty easy. You may want to look into a sliptip for the bigger fish.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Without knowledge of the fish you are after, I know our AJ's are really strong, I like 2 5/8" bands and a 7.5mm shaft...more impact inertia and a stronger shaft..still accurate and not a lot of recoil....from the looks of it, you could add some weight to that stock to reduce recoil, but that is probably not needed..start small and then add up if you are not satisfied
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Don Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Riffe shafts bend pretty easy. You may want to look into a sliptip for the bigger fish.
Compared to what ?

Don Paul
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Paul View Post
Compared to what ?

Don Paul
I am used to using the SA shafts...I noodled a few Riffe shafts on jacks before. They are high quality but they just seem to bend easily compared to the South African shafts.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Don Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
I am used to using the SA shafts...I noodled a few Riffe shafts on jacks before. They are high quality but they just seem to bend easily compared to the South African shafts.
Thanks, are you using the RA's, I thought you guys could only shoot Ray's ?

Cheers, Don
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
nigelr

Personally I'd go the 5/16" x 57" flopper shaft, or the 5/16' x 50" with a slip-tip, but I'm not a fan of large overhang. 5/16" would handle 3 x 5/8" better, but 2x 5/8" or 3 x 9/16" would probably be enough for a 120. If shaft are as xxxy in NZ as they are here in Aus, I'd use a slip-tip.
nigelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Paul View Post
Thanks, are you using the RA's, I thought you guys could only shoot Ray's ?

Cheers, Don
I use the Sumora coated shafts but they stopped stocking them and Rob Allen shafts rust too quickly for me. Mr. Wong has recently started making the coated SA style hard shafts with and without fins. I am trying to find someone else that has them in stock.