Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #16
riff
><>

Re: Is Spearfishing Right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypchen View Post
How dangerous is it to go alone?
aaaaand /thread closed.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #17
carlsbadspearo
Kyle Faust

Kypchen,

if you are real and not a troll, come to the next San Diego Freedivers meeting.There is plenty of knowledge plenty of gear to borrow and all your questions can be answered in person while possibly making some new friends. Their are many people on this board that come into the sport and dont ask the right question or forget how to use the search button which makes them seem like a troll. put some work in and search some question out using the search button. As for the internet warriors lots of them on Spearboard we all are the best divers in the world after all and where born that way. The best advise i can give you is that spearfishing will be what you make of it. if you buy expensive gear and dive all the time on boats and travel to exotic destinations it will be expensive. if you shop craigslist, the want ads on hear, surf shop close out racks and bro deals it will be cheaper. I have probably wasted more time and you most likely are a troll but in the spirit of a good friend and a moderator of this board I will bite and try to be helpful.

Kyle Faust
carlsbadspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #18
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbadspearo View Post
Kypchen,

if you are real and not a troll, come to the next San Diego Freedivers meeting.There is plenty of knowledge plenty of gear to borrow and all your questions can be answered in person while possibly making some new friends. Their are many people on this board that come into the sport and dont ask the right question or forget how to use the search button which makes them seem like a troll. put some work in and search some question out using the search button. As for the internet warriors lots of them on Spearboard we all are the best divers in the world after all and where born that way. The best advise i can give you is that spearfishing will be what you make of it. if you buy expensive gear and dive all the time on boats and travel to exotic destinations it will be expensive. if you shop craigslist, the want ads on hear, surf shop close out racks and bro deals it will be cheaper. I have probably wasted more time and you most likely are a troll but in the spirit of a good friend and a moderator of this board I will bite and try to be helpful.
Way to reach out bro. That was kind of you. Especially if he is a troll

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #19
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
If you have to ask...
This is the first thing that came to my mind.

For me, I love to hunt, I started scuba diving so I could hunt for stuff in the off season's on land. Another buddy taught me to freedive so I could stay in the water all day instead of few tank dives. I never looked back. I have always been 100% comfortable in the water, waves, breatholds, etc. from the age of 5.

People I've seen who flail are always the ones who are not completely comfortable in the ocean. If you can't play and have fun in large waves for hours at a time, I'd proceed very cautiously. Panic is not an option.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypchen View Post
How dangerous is it to go alone?
That is dependent on who it is that's diving alone
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #21
malibujohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
That is dependent on who it is that's diving alone
That statement right there pretty much answers the " should you dive alone " question!!
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #22
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinator View Post
for me, i love to hunt, i started scuba diving so i could hunt for stuff in the off season's on land. Another buddy taught me to freedive so i could stay in the water all day instead of few tank dives. I never looked back. I have always been 100% comfortable in the water, waves, breatholds, etc. From the age of 5.
csb
Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
NHspearguy

It's dangerous to go out with a buddy in the first place. It's only gets safer if you go out alone... Right?
NHspearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
ChasinButts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHspearguy View Post
It's dangerous to go out with a buddy in the first place. It's only gets safer if you go out alone... Right?
What? Lol

I go out on my own sometimes, but when I'm out by myself I am extra careful and adhere to some guidelines like not pushing myself more than 50% or for me not dropping anywhere below ~40ft. Even then ish can go wrong. There are many other hazards in the water than just drowning - boats, jet skis, jellyfish, cramps, the list goes on. I dive knowing the inherent risk, but I definately prefer diving with a buddy or two.

Point is, I don't recommend diving alone EVER, although I'm guilty of it sometimes... But ESPECIALLY if you're new to the sport. Don't go dive on your own man, it's not worth it.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #25
NHspearguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinButts View Post
What? Lol

I go out on my own sometimes, but when I'm out by myself I am extra careful and adhere to some guidelines like not pushing myself more than 50% or for me not dropping anywhere below ~40ft. Even then ish can go wrong. There are many other hazards in the water than just drowning - boats, jet skis, jellyfish, cramps, the list goes on. I dive knowing the inherent risk, but I definately prefer diving with a buddy or two.

Point is, I don't recommend diving alone EVER, although I'm guilty of it sometimes... But ESPECIALLY if you're new to the sport. Don't go dive on your own man, it's not worth it.
What you said is exactly my thoughts. Just more articulated and without the sarcasm lol
NHspearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #26
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHspearguy View Post
lol well when you plan on diving with inexperienced divers I'd say it can definitely be more dangerous for you. I've had someone point a loaded speargun purposely pointed at my chest to video tape me on his gopro. And when I told the guy not to do that he argued that it was okay because he had the safety on. A new diver might not realize how deadly their speargun is.

Last edited by spearthebigones; 11-21-2014 at 03:42 PM.
spearthebigones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #27
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
lol well when you plan on diving with inexperienced divers I'd say it can definitely be more dangerous for you. I've had someone point a loaded speargun purposely pointed at my chest to video tape me on his gopro. And when I told the guy not to do that he argued that it was okay because he had the safety on. A new diver might not realize how deadly their speargun is.
There are two kinds of divers in this world:

Those who learned how to safely handle a weapon, any weapon, and those who need to.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #28
mikeme

You need to find somebody to teach you the ropes. It's not good to start alone, like they said go to the next SD freediver's meeting. Good luck
mikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #29
danaslayer
Patrick

I figure that even when I dive with a buddy (most of the times) I'm diving alone. Seriously, how often in CA do you actively practice one up one down style diving. Usually only when spotting each other to get that bug deep in that cave, or for retrieving your seabass tied up on the bottom. Other than that, you're basically on your own even WITH a buddy. Chances are if something happens underwater, and your buddy isn't next to you, it's too late and he'll be there to retrieve your body. In that sense, don't use the excuse "I'm with a buddy" to push yourself further because in reality he is more than 30 ft away from you and you're essentially diving alone. As a newbie, you probably wouldn't be pushing yourself anyways, but it helps a ton to have an experienced buddy.

All that said, sometime's it can be nice to dive alone when you just want an escape from the rest of the world. However, it's always a fun time to enjoy a dive with your buddies.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #30
pierreyaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
It's not right for you man. It's hard work, it's expensive and its savagely brutal. You should take up surfing instead