Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
geofri
Ectothermic member

Playa Hermosa ( North, near Liberia) Anyone there/been there?

Going to be there end of July-beginning of Aug for a family vacation.

Hoping to sneak off and dive one or two days, is anyone in here a local or do you have experience in the area? Won't have a dive buddy, so I'll need to find one too.

Also will be trying to get in some hiking, and going out to find as many snakes and lizards as possible. Would love some local insight to help narrow my search.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Shootinfish

Re: Playa Hermosa ( North, near Liberia) Anyone there/been there?

I took a 2 week vacation to Costa Rica a few years ago and fell in love with the place. I stayed in the jungle in a hot springs resort at the base of the arenal volcano for one week where I hiked several places including a hike to the largest waterfall I have ever seen besides Niagara. Then I stayed at a resort in plya Hermosa the second week. That way I got to explore the jungle and beaches in the same trip. The beaches I went to we're plya ocotal, Tamarindo beach, plya del Coco, and plya hermosa. All within 15-20 minutes of each other and where I stayed. I didn't take any gear except snorkel, find and mask as I didn't want to deal with anything else for the flight and I was really going for the relaxing on the beach and hiking in the jungle. However, next time I'll be diving as the snorkeling was some of the best I have ever done. Words can't describe it. It was good at all places mentioned above as well as those places being good safe beaches for the family. My #1 spot and place I would have to insist you go is plya ocotal. It's a black sand beach and is AMAZING snorkeling. When you get to the beach walk all the way to the left and it ends with rocks. Hop in and follow those rocks as far as you want. I can't even imagine how phenomenal the diving is from there based on how awesome the snorkeling alone was.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
geofri
Ectothermic member

Thank you so much for the input! This is what makes spearboard so great.

Researching all the areas you mentioned.

This trip popped up short notice, and I still need to do a lot of research. I am pretty unsure on laws and regs there too regarding spearing.

Planning to just pack a polespear and snorkel gear.. uness I hear of a good charter to get on board in the area.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Shootinfish

Had to pull up and look through my pics before I gave you wrong info, but I did a snorkeling trip with BA Divers while I was there. It was great and is also in plya Hermosa. The do snorkeling and SCUBA. Maybe contact them and see about spearing if you book a dive with them. And FYI...unless something has changed since I was there, there was no AC in the airport (Liberia) so dress accordingly. I went in the dry season (end of February) I was living in Charleston, SC at the time. I drove from there to Charlotte, NC, got on a plane and flew from there to New York, to Miami, to Liberia. Yes I had to fly to New York just to get on a plane and fly back. SMH. Anyway, it was about 50 degrees in Charleston so I obviously wore long pants, boots, and a thick long sleeve shirt. Got to Charlotte and it was about 35 degrees. Was happy with my wardrobe of choice thus far. Got to New York and it was snowing and cold as F$#*! Still happy with my wardrobe of choice. Got to Miami and it was 65-70 degrees. I was still comfortable. Got to Liberia and it was 110 and no AC in the airport, it was more like a hanger than an airport. Not only that, but they left my luggage in MIAMI! so I was stuck all day there and part of the next dressed in winter clothes in temps over 100 degrees. So plan ahead! Pack clothes in a carry on just in case. However, on the way back I was in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top...the stop in New York was interesting with the snow and my dress attire then as there was a 4 hour layover. Your going during the wet season I believe but the guanacasta region where you will be stays dry most of the year so you shouldn't have to worry about rain to much. If you venture south at all, it rains almost every day during the wet season so pack for that. If you have any questions about the area I'll answer as best I can. I did alot of sight seeing and tours, went to a few parks and wildlife refuges, etc so feel free to pick my brain. What resort/hotel are you staying at?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
brothertodd
"You Gotta Eat"

We are planning a family trip to Playa Hermosa too, going in June. Both my wife and I dive and all my kids snorkel. Tell me how your trip turned out last year?
brothertodd is offline   Reply With Quote