Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #781
NJSpearo84

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Be sure to report back
NJSpearo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #782
spearing

i was thinking about going today to but its dont want to freeze for no reason. heres a picture i found on instagram yesterday
spearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #783
Fishy Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearing View Post
i was thinking about going today to but its dont want to freeze for no reason. heres a picture i found on instagram yesterday
I don't see an image, but I assume it looks terrible :/
Fishy Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #784
spearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Slayer View Post
I don't see an image, but I assume it looks terrible :/
its just a pic of someone measuring the surface temp of the water. 47 degrees, burrr
spearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #785
Choke

Cold water I think is better than warm water. Stripers like the cooler temps and the fluke get pretty sluggish. Plus having a 6mil 2 piece full farmer john and top help a lot. The only thing that's not cool is there are no triggers when it's chilly.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #786
fr0sty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choke View Post
I would say anything but a south wind. However iv seen it get shitty in all directions. The sea is a strange mistress for sure. Today I hit all 3 inlets, Barnegat, manasquan, and shark river. All were crap. Got to shark river nearing 2pm hoping to get some clean ocean water with the incoming tide......wrong. I think I'm gonna move out of state, somewhere that has cleaner water.
I think the overall conclusion is it's just better to get out there and hope for the best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choke View Post
Cold water I think is better than warm water. Stripers like the cooler temps and the fluke get pretty sluggish. Plus having a 6mil 2 piece full farmer john and top help a lot. The only thing that's not cool is there are no triggers when it's chilly.
I don't know about you, but I've been using the 2 piece 5mm open-cell from mako and was overheating. 2 weeks ago, I went with just the top and was still running a bit hot.
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #787
NJSpearo84

im good all season in my jbl 5mm open
NJSpearo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #788
fr0sty

Really? I was heating up and had to let water in through the neck/waist... maybe i'm doing something wrong... or something's wrong with me
Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #789
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

You guys are killing me

C’mon guys everyone who dives has pretty much known it would be garbage everyday for about the last two weeks without even looking. We sort of have an unorganized network of divers that text current conditions and the phones have been silent. When the texts come recently they read more like “how bad is it right now?” or “damn forecast is still horrible for another week!” or “think I can get 3ft in the inlet?”Hahaha It’s been about checking to see if it’s worth getting a surf in not a dive. ANY wind that has been blowing 25kts virtually every other night for weeks is going to equal terrible conditions. People who live an hour from the beach text me regularly for updates and they usually have a relatively good idea weather it's possible to get dive-able vis or if there is no sense in even trying. I know who's going to text me looking for a vis confirm by the current weather forecast and knowing their days off.

I’m not claiming that you can predict vis but some guidelines will let you roughly guess your chances and help you plan days accordingly. For instance I slept in VERY late on my days off this week and would have sleep in every single day this week if I had off.

Here's my North area from my observations. Everyone else please break it down as well and lets see where we agree/disagree. Let's also see some observations from other areas of the coast.

You need to use NOAA marine forecast as well as any of the good surf forecasting sites. Wetsand, Magicseaweed etc. Charts are your friend. Surfers have a leg up here because they know what it takes to get both surf and dive conditions.

Here’s what I use.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Foreca...US51.KPHI.html

http://forecasts.surfingmagazine.com...ht_none_Sat_-1

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...rseysites.html

Also, if you’re too far from the beach to check the flag any of the relevant surfcams can help. Particularly with judging how bad the sea-breeze is in real time for your planned afternoon dive.

Sidenote:

I tried using chlorophyll sea surface charts to help predict vis better but it did nothing to help. I didn't think it would help on our thermocline vis prediction but I did think it may help predict shallow vis a bit. I kept recording the vis and the chart for the days we dove for about a year and a half and it didn't really help me in any applicable way when I sorted through it to see.

Luckily I get to see the water pretty much every day but here are some rules of thumb that apply. For my section of coast here are some guidelines. This is for inshore shallows like jetties. Things can be very different off the beach or in deeper water depending on how good the thermocline is set up.

If it blows gale from any direction you can pretty much plan on dive shutdown.

If it blows long enough to cause swell it’s pretty much complete shutdown.

Right at the start of a blow it’s sometimes possible to find good diving.

If water is good color but stirred up some inlets can settle very quickly if you time it right.

Groundswell from a far off storm shuts diving down regardless of local wind.

It does not settle from a blow or swell event right away just because wind is suddenly good.

If wind is light enough it doesn't even matter what direction it is.

There can be significant "lag" time in inlets giving you time to get vis when everything is going to hell fast.

The winds for my stretch of coast... Keep in mind what it blew the days before is as important as what it is currently blowing.

Easterlies…A light easterly wind can cause blue water to be blown in so long as it doesn't blow hard or long enough to cause swell. This could also do the opposite to me and murk up depending on where the Hudson River Plume went in the previous days of winds. Easterlies hard enough to cause swell can get you a very good inlet dive the first day of the blow as the water settles then outgoing is very slow with wind against tide.

West….Light west is fantastic for flatness and keeping the stratified layers intact. It's also great for letting the water settle if the water is good but just has too many suspended particles. Bad news is when shit water is on you or it blooms west does nothing to "change" it. Little too hard of a west f’s up back bays and inlets at low tide.

Southeast…… when it’s only a fairly light seabreeze in periods of calm weather patterns it’s great for keeping things going. It may screw your afternoon ocean dive in the shallows but usually only for that day unless it blows hard. Example……. light southeast in evening then dies at night than light west in morning then repeat. Great cycle to be in for a stretch of regular diving if the water is good and doesn’t bloom. Once again though, it’s not great to get rid of bad water.

South…. Very hated south of my area but for me can be a blessing in small amounts. I like it for one reason. Upwelling is sometimes the quickest way to get rid of shitty water without a big mixing event. If the south is just hard enough to upwell but not hard enough or long enough to cause swell it can be great. If it blows too hard or long it’s screwed like any other gale wind. Another downside is it tends to bloom a few days after an upwelling. My best three dives of the year this year were due to south winds the night before and two of them we had predicted would probably be good the night before. On the flip side the worst few weeks of diving this year are because it’s blown south at 25mph every other day but like I said too much of any wind shuts things down. People hate this wind and rightly so but it's only because in summer patterns if the wind is going to really honk it's usually from the south or southeast. It's usually a hate it because of too much sort of thing.

Southwest…. Doesn't blow often and when it does it’s generally light enough not to matter. Hard southwest kills my little stretch though with funky chop.

Northwest…... Bad for me as it blows bay water onto dive sites I like. I head south or to protected water. Sometimes you can just head south until you find the vis line.

North…… Worse than northwest. Head south or into protected water if it just started.

Best thing you can do hands down is PM Burnz and ask him if he's free to dive the day you plan on diving. If he says yes then you know it's not worth diving. It will be full on chocolate milk, bloomtastic, or victory at sea conditions.

Last edited by TriggerNJ; 07-10-2014 at 01:49 PM.
TriggerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #790
Choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0sty View Post
I think the overall conclusion is it's just better to get out there and hope for the best...

I don't know about you, but I've been using the 2 piece 5mm open-cell from mako and was overheating. 2 weeks ago, I went with just the top and was still running a bit hot.
2 weeks ago absolutely I was donning a 4mil 2 piece and very comfortable. Yesterday I had to wear the 6mil. There's nothing better in cold water than 12mil on the core.
Than you trigger for the windy yet highly informative post. I generally use swellinfo and coastguard tide charts. Swellinfo is just that, gives water temp, windage and swell conditions. NOAA is extremely useful for predicting as they give offshore buoy information. Iv lived less than a mile from saltwater my entire life, grew up on boats ect, and can contest that any direction wind can ruin everything if it's hard and persistent enough. Timing is everything, crack of dawn is generally the best time to be out for the most part. And I mean as soon as the sun is fully visible (full sphere). Even on shitty days dawn patrol usually has the best clarity. From my experiences anyhow
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #791
Burnz
People for Kaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerNJ View Post
Best thing you can do hands down is PM Burnz and ask him if he's free to dive the day you plan on diving. If he says yes then you know it's not worth diving. It will be full on chocolate milk, bloomtastic, or victory at sea conditions.
Sad but true
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #792
Dloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnz View Post
Sad but true

Yup, especially when he comes down on vaca the bad vis follows!
Dloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #793
Burnz
People for Kaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloat View Post
Yup, especially when he comes down on vaca the bad vis follows!
Next weekend that's all gonna change
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #794
venommike68

TriggerNJ great info right there ! Well thought out an written information u da man !
venommike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #795
fr0sty

Yeah, ditto, great info!