Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #16
MACKFISH

Re: Three more blackouts!

You young guns and old ones alike,just dont hold your breath soooo long its not as important as you coming back alive.Thanks Terry that was scary.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Sheri
So Little Time

The mothers/sons in the video deserve a lot of credit. They could have gone on their merry way, lucky to be survivors and anxious to put that bad experience behind them. Instead, they chose to highlight it for the sake of other divers. Same goes for Steve and Cam. It's admirable of people to share their experience so that others can benefit from "lessons learned".

There are certain practices that help to reduce risk. This is where a freediving class, like Kirk Krack's, becomes invaluable. He teaches proper weighting, proper breathing, how to revive someone, the importance of "one up, one down", etc, etc. That class is so worth the time/money. Read all you can and try to get good mentors, but if you can, I highly recommend taking that class.

Dive safe!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
TB2Scuba

Wow, that was a great video. Being new to the sport it was good to see a video like that. It makes you really think about the difference between what you think you can do and what you actually can do. It definitely made my skin crawl and reminded me how careful you must be on each and every dive. I cannot thank everyone who participated in this video enough.
TB2Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
CountrySpearo
Registered fish killer

Send a message via AIM to CountrySpearo Send a message via Yahoo to CountrySpearo

Excellent information and I believe it was put to use in the perfect place for the generations to come!!! As soon as I finished viewing the video I put it right up top on my Myspace page and would recommend other follow suit so that we as responsble divers can help educate others and possibly give them a wake up call.

SGT Brad Luis
Monterey Bay Tritons

http://www.c4carbon.com/eng/sub/default.htm
http://bbprodive.com/
CountrySpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #20
Adam Sachs
Lenguado fresco

Terry,

Thank you very much for sharing this video with us at the Santa Barbara Freedivers meeting this past Wednesday. From time to time we need to be reminded just how real the danger of SWB is to us.

~AS
Adam Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Wow great video, this helps alot.
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #22
Mighty Mouse

It sends shivers through your body to sit back and watch a real event like this.

The thing you have to ask yourself is, are you really ready to instinctively respond using the correct protocol and become the most efficient that you possibly can when seconds could make the difference between life and death.

I know that since I took a professional freedive course I feel a lot more confident but that is still not enough in itself. These are skills that we need to talk about, visualize and practice from time to time. This is the only way to keep them at the forefront of our subconscious so it would become second nature should we ever really need it in a moment with no notice.

Great video and message Terry, Sheri and all the friends and families that were involved.
It's really comforting to see an epoisode unfold where the outcome is as remarkable as this one. It's truly a blessing, Thanks for sharing!

"If You Ain't Got Time to Go Fishin, Then You Just Ain't Got Time".
Ernie Lee
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #23
BreathlessSight

Good vid!!! Pointed out a lot of what not to do's and showed how real swb is.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Great Video, reminds me of the day Julie and I saved Lil John in Fort Lauderdale. 85-90 ft drop that could have ended with his death. So scary to hold you partners body almost lifeless in your arms, waiting for the boat to come.

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
Seacidal

Terry & Sheri,

This video is great! It reaches out to up and coming freedivers in a way that they can relate to. Great job!

I would like to add that if anybody experiences or is involved with a freediver black-out event, they should contact D.A.N. (Divers Alert Network) and submit an event report to the Breath-Hold Diving Incident Database.

By adding reports to the scientific collection of data regarding black-out, these events can help us to better understand black-out, find ways to reduce black-out and emphasize the need for proper safety practices.

Thanks again Terry and Sheri for helping to educate and inform divers of these very real risks,
Chip
Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #26
Gerald C. Perry
Skip

I liked it and I think it will help. Too many needless deaths.
Gerald C. Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #27
Toledo970

www.Divewise.org
This is the organization founded because of these incidents.
Toledo970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
Seacidal

A great website! The risk of blackout fatality is an dangerous aspect of freediving that is often under-appreciated. The loss of life that all too often results is a true tragedy. And the lives of the families and friends of the victim are forever impacted.

This is an assemblage of some of the best and most knowledgeable freedivers. I'm excited to see such an outreach and educational program and look forward to its success in preventing needless loss of life from blackout.

Julie has done a fantastic job in pulling this all together. My congratulations and appreciation to all involved. Thanks!
Chip
Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #29
jobfish

Cool Re: Three more blackouts!

Man it is happening all over the world and certainly not decreasing. Added interest in the sport and advanced techniques so easily gained now by many are leading the way to tradgedy for those who dive ALONE. I personally do not know of any diver "passing" when diving WITH their buddie in every scence of the word.. Communication is vital. Education reaches only those willing to listen.
Bravo Terry good stuff with the vest mate. I am sure it will save someone's loved one. well done

R
jobfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #30
freshfillet

I still remember my SWB that occurred over 30 years ago in the Keys. I wouldn't be here to tell the story if it hadn't been for my dive buddy. I can't stress how important it is to be cognizant of this risk at all times. Yeah, I thought I was invinsible back then.. This is VERY REAL AND CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME....WITHOUT WARNING. Way to go with this video.
freshfillet is offline   Reply With Quote