Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
CuzzA

Video from July 19, 2019

Better viz last week allowed for a video. This video is a little longer than normal, but I went ahead and included my **** ups. They seem to make videos more interesting.

I should have secured the gag much quicker. I didn't realize what a poor shot I put on it, until he swam past me.

I'm also questioning tuning floppers. It seems for shooting under ledges there's a significantly higher probability the shaft will get stuck as there's no way for the flopper to self correct once deployed in a hole.

New gloves are on my list too. I didn't like the latex gloves when I first tried them as they would get sticky after a few uses, but perhaps that's a good thing as illustrated in the video by DKay. Top side audio didn't come out great so you'll have to play with the volume to hear it, just be ready to turn it down when the music returns.

I wish the camera wouldn't have died on the red grouper. It was pretty funny as I spent a good minute sizing him up. Which included verbally asking the fish if he's legal like a freaking border agent. Measuring him up to the barrel of my gun before I took the shot. Having not seen a legal red grouper in some time I didn't want to shoot him if was short. Gawd, they are dumb. If I had a measuring tape on me I would have just measured him before the shot... And it would have let me. Anyway, he was legal. Just a funny scene that didn't get captured.

Anyway. I'm always learning something new which is the beauty of diving with new people. Thanks for the invite D.

https://youtu.be/Uqw7UdeFU1Q

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
dkay

Re: Video from July 19, 2019

Funny video. I’m definitely the most skilled shooter that I know when it comes to getting shafts stuck under ledges so I’ve got plenty of practice getting them out
Glad to have you out with us. It was a fun day!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
captadam123

Very skilled at that!
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
jfjf

Nice video
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
GatorNative

Great stuff, as always!
I’ve had it wrong all these years.
Maybe I should put down my single-spear, multi-sling Koah and pick up a multi-spear, single sling gun. Where do I get one like yours?
GatorNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNative View Post
Great stuff, as always!
I’ve had it wrong all these years.
Maybe I should put down my single-spear, multi-sling Koah and pick up a multi-spear, single sling gun. Where do I get one like yours?
Thanks, man.

I picked the gun up off a neighbor for $80. It's a teak 54" Biller. Some sanding and oil and it looked good as new. I went to Kevin at Ocean Rhino and put a Rhino muzzle on it. He also extended the butt a few inches for better balance. We put a couple spare shaft holders on it. I added the bottom spare band holder to it which was a tip I learned from Dan MacMahon. Then I added the double powerhead holder, another HeadHunter tip. Finally I went to Rich at Spearcrafters/Speargods and we rigged up a single wrap line kit for use with his new backloading capable Evolution shafts for those rare cobia encounters or fish deep under a ledge.

I gotta say I'm really happy with it. I'd like to see Kevin reduce the bulk of the Rhino muzzle some day. Maybe on a Rhino 2.0 gun. Nevertheless, the Rhino muzzle is the perfect balance between the less accurate Biller muzzle and the *drawbacks of an enclosed track.

But I chuckle when people tell new divers to pick up a beginner gun, like a Rhino or Biller . If I miss a fish, the video almost always shows user error. And you can ask jfjf. I took down a gag on the MG last month from at least 25 feet horizontal. Plenty of power with one band... as illustrated by my propensity to get shafts stuck in limestone.

* No backloading and busted muzzles/tracks from shooting big fish at close range.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
GatorNative

Great info, much appreciated!
Went back and re-read your previous thread on bringing a Biller back to life. Very rewarding to have a custom creation like that.
GatorNative is offline   Reply With Quote