Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
nailman
Sponsor

"Hole in the Wall" ?

Looks like I'm diving the Hole on friday with the JDC and wanted to know what the layout of that area was ?

Warning: If it is not spearfishing related and positive in nature then keep your stupid ass away from my threads!
nailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Re: "Hole in the Wall" ?

I'm sure many regulars to the area will chime in, but here's my one time take...130 to 145 ft...current was so strong I never saw the hole...but it was very beautiful and housed alot of shootable fish...use a line gun if there is alot of current.

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
DIVERTOM

Send a message via AIM to DIVERTOM Send a message via Yahoo to DIVERTOM

I would expect there to be a strong current now with good vis. The
edge is about 110ft and if you go through the hole you will get down to
135ft. This time of the year is Goliath Grouper spawning and expect to see
a bunch of them. Its a great dive everyone should do at least once.
DIVERTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Stephen, my advice is to just make sure you follow a fellow diver who really knows where it is so you don't miss it. Your goal should be to swim through the hole in the wall. If the current is ripping, the boat will probably drop you further south so all the divers can get down below the ledge and not be swept past the actual hole which is a large swim-through cavity in the ledge about 15-25 feet wide and about 30-50 feet long (rough estimates). The problem is that the tendency is for divers to stay on top of the ledge instead of alongside the ledge which is at about 118 feet. Whoever is guiding you must know exactly which outcropping to dip under the ledge and swim through. There is a "false hole" in advance of the actual swim-through hole that can throw people off. There is also an area in advance of the actual hole that has stairstep ledges where many goliaths hang out. Have you dive light ready to illuminate the inside of the hole. Also, I think if you put yourself flat on the bottom inside the hole, it might be 142 feet deep as I recall, but I could be wrong about that. All in all, it is a great dive, but an advanced one because of the depths and ripping currents that often occur. Again, I recommend to make sure you follow the right person for your first visit. Have a great time on one of our best dive spots over here on the Florida East Coast!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote