Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Polespear Build

Hey Guys,

Ive been looking into getting a new polespear for a while now, something with a little more weight behind it to give it more punch than my current HH predator. The only thing is I dont really have the money to spend $300+ on a new spear, or the time to make that kind of money when the summer is right around he corner and the Bahamas trips are going to be coming soon, I need to be ready for that break in the weather and be ready to cross. Anyway, I started playing with the idea of making my own spear. Only thing is I dont really know what materials to get, or what tools i will need. What do you guys think is the best body for a polspear, something that needs to take abuse and pack a punch (I was thinking aluminum but let me know what you think). Second, what should I do about the injector rod situation, what material do i use for that, how do I attach it? Lastly, what tools will I need for a job like this? Please let me know if you have built your own spear and how you did it and with what materials. As a young spearo, I value information given to me on these forums (especially from people who have done something like this before), so any help is appreciated.

Thanks Guys
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
Watergator

Re: Polespear Build

Keep an eye on here for used poles and you can get one for pretty cheap. You’ll spend well over 300 making your own if you don’t already have access to a metal fab shop and the first product likely won’t be half as good. Mako and Gatku both make good poles that won’t break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt
Re: Polespear Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysspearoo View Post
Hey Guys,

Ive been looking into getting a new polespear for a while now, something with a little more weight behind it to give it more punch than my current HH predator. The only thing is I dont really have the money to spend $300+ on a new spear, or the time to make that kind of money when the summer is right around he corner and the Bahamas trips are going to be coming soon, I need to be ready for that break in the weather and be ready to cross. Anyway, I started playing with the idea of making my own spear. Only thing is I dont really know what materials to get, or what tools i will need. What do you guys think is the best body for a polspear, something that needs to take abuse and pack a punch (I was thinking aluminum but let me know what you think). Second, what should I do about the injector rod situation, what material do i use for that, how do I attach it? Lastly, what tools will I need for a job like this? Please let me know if you have built your own spear and how you did it and with what materials. As a young spearo, I value information given to me on these forums (especially from people who have done something like this before), so any help is appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Just saw your Post, so many factors. Depends on your tools and craftsmanship skills the most.

If you have more specific questions, be happy to help.

Add a front counterweight to your HH pole is the low cost fix.