Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Castronova
The Conch Republic

New Wahoo Charter - Key West

Hello All,

Native Key West Conch here, decided after many many years of taking people out to learn how to shoot wahoo I am going to start chartering specifically for wahoo this winter. I will be specializing in bluewater although sometimes we can't control the conditions so it could mean a move onto the reef occasionally.

I am keeping the dates limited around full and new moons. The trips will leave around 6:30 AM and I will run them from November to February, possibly March if they are still around.

My goal is to attract those divers who want to put in what it takes to find and land wahoo.

The vessel, "Bar Stroll", is a 28 Contender with twin 200 Suzuki's I've owned since 2014.

The website is up. You can check the calendar and see available dates and put down a deposit. If there are dates you would like that are not available please get in contact with me and we can discuss.

I personally shot over 20 last season just going on weekends here and there, 2 over 70 lbs and 2 over 70 lbs the year prior. Last season they were in large schools from November through March. On many days we saw hundreds of fish with schools of fish as far as you can see. If they are here, we will find them.

I will have some limited gear to lend and gun(s) to rent. I can also guide and take photos for additional cost.

Please visit the site and contact me or comment on here for answers to any questions you may have.

Thank you,

JP

wahoospearfishing.com
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Re: New Wahoo Charter - Key West

Do you have any insight as to whether they typically appear in the upper or lower keys first each season?

Are they coming form the north or south? Or is there not really a pattern?
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
Do you have any insight as to whether they typically appear in the upper or lower keys first each season?

From what I've heard they just show up and it's on for a week or two. You get a few of these time periods during season, I've been out in perfect conditions full moon and seen very little bait even. JP probably knows the area very well, do your prices included fuel and split to a 6 pack OUPV?
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:

I can't say for certain but I'd guess they sneak in the upper keys first migrating around the keys. Never heard that discussed before though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
From what I've heard they just show up and it's on for a week or two. You get a few of these time periods during season, I've been out in perfect conditions full moon and seen very little bait even. JP probably knows the area very well, do your prices included fuel and split to a 6 pack OUPV?
Thats pretty much it. They can be hard to find sometimes but if we have the water we can usually find them. When they are here in big numbers they can be everywhere. Last season I'd guess I went 15-20 days. I didn't shoot wahoo 2 days searching before they got here and maybe 1 or 2 days during season. That was never staying out past noon because of an 18 month old and pregnant wife.

Prices are total including fuel. I'm putting a 4 diver max although I would recommend 3 as that seems to be the magic number. It's enough to have eyes in all directions, get a back up shot, and not lose opportunities of curious wahoo following a shot fish. 4 starts to get a little messy on deck and with tangles in the water but if you have seasoned divers it will still work fine.

I'll supply cut bait for chum each trip. Thats all you need. I have a bunch of floats, floatlines, flashers, throw flashers, etc. to lend if necessary.

I also have a connection for very affordable lodging for those who know how expensive the hotels down here are, especially during season, don't shy away. If you are here to shoot fish it will save you a lot of money. Just DM or call me.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
Alec

That sounds very appealing.. I’ll see if I can get out of Denver for a weekend here soon. Already starting to snow this week
Old 10-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
I've shot plenty of them during those runs. Never been to keywest for them though but I want to try down there. I haven't live in florida in a while but from what friends tell me the upper and middle keys have been getting a bit crowded in recent years during the wahoo runs and the fish seem to be more wary of divers.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
Alec

Quote:
I've shot plenty of them during those runs. Never been to keywest for them though but I want to try down there. I haven't live in florida in a while but from what friends tell me the upper and middle keys have been getting a bit crowded in recent years during the wahoo runs and the fish seem to be more wary of divers.
I don’t have as much experience down there as you guys do but I’ve heard Key West usually has a much better run than marathon etc. not sure why
Old 10-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #8
Castronova
The Conch Republic

The wahoo are here and in pretty good numbers already. Just a little early but I'm not complaining. I know of 8 shot yesterday and 3 caught yesterday and the day before. We're looking to get blown out after Friday. Oct. 25-28 and Nov. 8-11 will be good days if anyone is interested.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #9
Castronova
The Conch Republic

As promised:

My buddy couldn't get out until late yesterday so had limited time. Left the dock around 4:15pm, in the water around an hour later. 95' of viz, hard east current that they like, shot 2 before the sun set. Theyre here and in decent numbers already. All you have to do is shoot straight and be rigged properly.

Taken with my new Alemanni 120 Hybrid and 9mm Hunt shaft with slip-tip. 12L Rob Allen foam filled float.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Nice!
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
Powers
Dad

Awesome JP. Congratulations. Anyone finding themselves on this charter will not be disappointed by the company or the expertise. Hope I can come out and join you this year!

I'm also impressed by all the support from Key West to its sister city, Green Turtle Cay, in the wake of Hurricane Dorian. Good work.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #12
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Thank you Will. I'd love to get to dive with you again.

I agree, Key West has stepped up the efforts big time. I know we've sent a few plane loads of supplies and just shipped over a fire truck the City donated. Very proud conch here.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Update on the thread. Tuesday - Thursday there were plenty wahoo shot. I took 2 guys half day after lunch Thursday. You could see the bottom in 110' and that vis went all the way into 30'. The clearest water on top of the reef I think I've ever seen. The guys lost a 50# wahoo to sharks and missed another. We saw 6 wahoo in limited bluewater time. They wanted to do some reef diving too since it was so insane clear. The amount of speedos and ballyhoo on the reef is epic right now. On the reef I got in and shot a small cubera and 10# mutton. Good conditions coming into prime season.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
kwyoungspear

Glad to hear you’re finding them with ease. My buddy has been doing the same. I’m jealous because I’m stuck on a ore boat on the Great Lakes.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Glad to hear you’re finding them with ease. My buddy has been doing the same. I’m jealous because I’m stuck on a ore boat on the Great Lakes.
Thanks man.

That sounds like it is getting colder by the minute.