Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

Playa Del Carmen area 1/12 - 1/16 (including Cancun / Cozumel)

Hey all,

Flying down to Cancun on Thursday for a wedding, going to be in Playa del Carmen 1/11 - 1/14 and then sticking around or heading to Cancun or Cozumel until 1/16.

Looking for anyone interested in some hunting with Arpon Spearfishing or Spearfishing Today. Best days for me would be Friday or Sunday - Tuesday. Would love to find some spearos looking to go in on a half or full day charter.

If any locals were up to give me some tips I'd greatly appreciate it, happy to return the favor in NorCal waters.

Cheers!

Last edited by makemwearit; 01-10-2018 at 01:57 AM.
makemwearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Brob

Re: Playa Del Carmen area 1/12 - 1/16 (including Cancun / Cozumel)

Hey Makemwearit-

Curious of how your trip ended up down in the Riviera? Heading to Tulum for the week of 4/20/18 and looking for advise on best outfit for boat trip. Also tips on shore diving and legal issues to watch out for. I have my Mexican fishing license of course.

Thanks!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

Frankly, it was pretty disappointing...

Aeromexico lost my bag and I didn't get it back until Day 7 of 7 of my trip and has offered little to no compensation (wanted me to accept $100 )

I was there for a wedding so the first half of the trip was oriented towards that, even more so after I had to live out of what I wore on the plane and replace my clothes prior to the wedding.

Second half got better, but still had some issues. Ferried over to Cozumel to Scuba Dive and then they closed the port which absolutely sucked since I was already on the ferry when it was announced. Rented a vespa and cruised around to different snorkeling spots with my freediving gear. Last day before I left I got one tank dive in at Moc Che Deep which was fun, but only a single dive on that long of a trip when I had planned to hit up the Cenotes and Cozumel was disappointing.

Did a half day charter in the afternoon with Arpon Spearfishing. Crew was great and I had a lot of fun, but we weren't put on the fish at all... some days are like that I know.

The captain took one good sized barracuda and I passed up a few triggerfish before taking one. One other guy took a triggerfish as well. Team was great and price was reasonable, they had the fish prepared for us at a restaurant in the marina upon our return.

Needless to say I'm anxious to go back armed with a little more knowledge of the area and how to prepare my trip.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want any more info or details!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
riskmas7er

Hi, what was the price for the charter?
riskmas7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
diveincanada

Arpon is usually around 100$ US per person - shared trip. Same for Today. I go there a lot(Puerto Aventuras, Playa & Coz).
I'll be hitting Tulum for the first time end of July.. Any good shore dive spots in that area.??
I rented a car.. I can also drive further south..
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

I suggest driving to Punta Allen, you will be astonished at the quality of the reaf system. Cheers
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

Please be advised that this entire area is a No Take Zone. Stay well under the radar.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #8
TexasGulfSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemwearit View Post
Hey all,

Flying down to Cancun on Thursday for a wedding, going to be in Playa del Carmen 1/11 - 1/14 and then sticking around or heading to Cancun or Cozumel until 1/16.

Looking for anyone interested in some hunting with Arpon Spearfishing or Spearfishing Today. Best days for me would be Friday or Sunday - Tuesday. Would love to find some spearos looking to go in on a half or full day charter.

If any locals were up to give me some tips I'd greatly appreciate it, happy to return the favor in NorCal waters.

Cheers!
I booked a guide on 1/10/19 out of Isla Mujeres. If you have any flexibility your welcome to join.
TexasGulfSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshaft View Post
Please be advised that this entire area is a No Take Zone. Stay well under the radar.
I hate to say this, but Many (Some) of the local dive operators ( Key word being "locals") say it is only a "Park" ( No Take Zone) during the day!

Last edited by SEATUX; 11-19-2018 at 07:19 PM.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote