Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 06-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Dangerous

Fishbox Lid Modification

In my boat there are two fishboxes on either side in the cockpit area. If I put tanks along the sides where the rod racks are, then they sit about half way across on the fishbox lid.

Has anyone had any success in splitting the lid lengthwise and using maybe piano hinge so that it opens only half of the lid and you can drop in fish or extra gear or tanks without having to remove the side tanks?

Any other ideas??

Many thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
CuzzA

Re: Fishbox Lid Modification

Seems like a great idea to me. Although I would consider a stronger hinge than a piano hinge. You don't want it caving in on you. Not to mention a marine SS piano hinge, if you can find one, would likely be pretty expensive.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Wood Guy

Here's a possibility for hinges: https://www.mcmaster.com/#piano-hinges/=1837el7

I've also used aluminum hinges in the boats since they are a lot cheaper. Another possibility might be to have the tanks above the hatch an inch or so, so the hatch could slide open from under the tanks. You could use a piece of starboard, trex, or wood to support the bottom of the tanks with enough clearance to slide the hatch out from under the tanks. Not sure if it would work with your configuration, but worth a look.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Dangerous

Thanks Wood Guy for hinge info - 316 SS would be reasonable I think

Thanks Cuzza - the caving in would be a problem Thanks for the tip

What about putting a "stiffener" on the underside edge of the cut, maybe some 1/4 or 1/2" inch of that material that's stiffer than Starboard and lighter, forgot name and then running a cross member under the hinged+stiffener that can be removed for full box access.

More ideas?