Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Buddy Networking -- Let's Go Hunting! > Anywhere else!

Anywhere else! You can post here to get a conversation started if looking to meet and hunt with people in other areas not listed above.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:43 AM   #1
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

Need 2-3 For LA Oil Rig Trip July 10-11

Going with Capt. Troy Wetzel (www.captaintroywetzel.com) out of Venice, LA on July 10-11. So far we have Kitefisherman, Bubblejunkie, one of his buddies, and possibly myself if I can rearrange a work commitment that has come up.

This will be two individual one day trips. Eight tanks total (four per day) at $400pp. Bubblejunkie is arranging lodging both nights, and should be around $30pp-$40pp per night.

Please PM me or reply here to get set up.
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Still have one spot. PM me or reply here if you are interested.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
ROCK BOTTOM

I didn't do a lot of killing the last two trips out but I have been seeing some really nice gags and big AJs. Last trip out I saw a mass of grouper and big red snapper that was just amazing. At least two dozen gags between 25 and 40# and about the same number of red snapper around 15# were in a cluster just above the "deck of life" on a oil rig. I also passed on a few AJs that were around 50#. These fish were all between 150 fsw and 185 fsw. The water has been crystal clear deep with only a thin murk on the surface. The murk is from the unusually high river and a southwest breeze pushing that water into the Main Pass area to the east of the river. Unfortunately, both trips were with the wife and kids so I spent most of my time above 75 fsw.

The wife is getting really good at shooting schooling AJs and barely legal Cobia. I just need to teach her how to shoot snapper.

Probably not diving these dates, the LCUDC (Louisiana Council of Underwater Dive Clubs) is holding its annual West Dessert Shootout the following weekend in Venice and I will be diving that.

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Rock Bottom: Thanks for the report!

This is my first rig trip, and I like hearing about the clear water, thin murk and plentiful fish. I imagine that I'll try to focus on the groupers and red snappers. I'm not as interested in shooting AJs at that depth, but a cobia would probably be worth the trouble. I can't wait!
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:11 PM   #5
bubblejunkie
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to bubblejunkie
Ok, I don't mind resorting to begging somebody please fill this spot. Please?!!
bubblejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote