Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #211
kodama

Re: More about the inverted polispast rollers

We can all go to DeeperBlue which is well moderated, is international and has a good spearfishing section.

Sent from the abyss
kodama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #212
malibujohn

SpearingForvm is another. Although mostly Cali based and freedive majority, I can assure you this stuff would NEVER fly there. Its 90% diving related instead of 90% bullsh1t.
There are guys there that throw a bottle on once in a while, myself included, and all are welcome!
I used to cringe every time I opened the one negative thread I have posted, and that was when I was actually burned for over 200 bucks from a member!
But opening a couple of these beauties, man, I think I feel embarrassment more than anything. What happened to the purity of the sport, sharing of creative ideas without judgement, and just plain old respect?
I love diving. Hell, I moved to Punta Mita, towed a 28 whaler Conquest, 2000 miles down the Mexican highway and now every day is based on diving, or, getting ready to dive!
Diving to me is spiritual, no buts about it, even when I tether myself to the boat 50 miles out hunting bluewater, solo!
You guys gotta grow up not only as a people, but as men! Would you want your son or daughter reading this shit and emulating it? Huh? I know I sure wouldn't!

And ya , the lack of Moderation is just pathetic-cant think of any word that fits it better!
malibujohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #213
gspearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
What is the longest Poliplast you've seen? We use 170cm (+Slip Tip) shafts on Classic Bluewater guns.

Be nice if there was a Builders forum.. we're always respectful with each other. Then again we all talk behind the scenes anyways.
Longest I have seen was Alemanni Vela 135. Longest I build was 120.
He is using 170 cm shaft on Vela 135, I put 150 on my 120 Spartacus. But I have reverse trigger instead his classic type trigger so my roller is significant shorter.
His shaft 170/9.5 mm weight 930 grams, 150/8.5 mm I use is 660 grams (like 170 cm 8 mm shaft or 220 cm 7 mm shaft :O ).I intend to use 9 or 9.5 but it's hard to find it, only Hunt but have wait for several months.
This high mass shafts with conbinations of high speed is more powerful than any classic speargun.
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #214
Behslayer

Nevin, it is fairly easy to source 3/8" Shafts here in USA. Those are 9.5mm. Also easy to find 11/32" which are 8.7mm. I'd really like to see some of your testing with those larger diameter shafts.

Regarding the Meh. Moderation needs to find the happy medium.. Many good people were kicked off Spearboard in the past for very slight infractions.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #215
gspearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Nevin, it is fairly easy to source 3/8" Shafts here in USA. Those are 9.5mm. Also easy to find 11/32" which are 8.7mm. I'd really like to see some of your testing with those larger diameter shafts.

Regarding the Meh. Moderation needs to find the happy medium.. Many good people were kicked off Spearboard in the past for very slight infractions.
Yes I know about shafts but shipping costs and our taxes make them to expensive.
I am making rollers since 2012. I did a lot of tests in first two years. Now I really don't need everyday tests because I know capabilities of these rollerguns,. When I will have a pool in my yard ....
I make a test when I want see some things which are interesting to me but I don't like to publish that tests because maybe some other gun maker can find them useful to him. Little selfish . Also I make a test when I finish some new model like this one from the pictures. It's 90 cm gun with 120/8.5 mm .shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	235739   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	235740   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	235741   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	235742   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	235743  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	235744  
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #216
willstroo

God you are a very skilled craftsman, those details!!!!!
willstroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #217
seal77

I really cant explain that confrontation between some people here.And I think that people like John,Mark Alexander,Neven and many others,deserve some respect,becouse they dedicate their hard labour to the spearfishing.Diving and shooting are the pleasant part.
In fact they must be something like competitors to me and according to the logic of that forum I must confront with them.But I feel respect and its a pity that people having no idea about dedicaton are messing arrownd here,
I started to build guns some years ago for my personal needs,becouse I was not satisfied of that what is available on the market,I needed something more for myself first.
Building composite guns,especially rollers with that complex shape is not verry profitable,becouse it takes too many hours of work.I dont even speak about the materials,they matter less.My main motivation is the pleasure that gives me a nice final product and may be only people who create things will understand me.Thats why I dont see the logic to make fake tests and I never did that.
If speargun building was my main business and I had to make real proffit on that,I would install a CNC router and make simple well balanced classic wooden guns.This would save me at least 30 times the labour and the time.And of course hire the bets testers for the pool show
But for now I will keep punishing myself with what I like
seal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #218
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
We can all go to DeeperBlue which is well moderated, is international and has a good spearfishing section.

Sent from the abyss

Deeperblue.com is good. Serious, no namecalling, no bullshit and well moderated.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #219
Behslayer

Seal, that was very well written and captures the essence of how I feel. Please. Never let these Turkeys get you down, and know that you are held in high respect amongst those of us with rough hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkh--IZmB1w
Old 10-30-2017, 04:05 AM   #220
spearq8

Forums are for sharing ideas and data ... not free advertisement for gun builders. At least that is my take on it. Roller guns are not different than classic guns ... they just impart velocity on a shaft using a different method. Once the shaft leaves the track the method of how it left the track means nothing. A shaft has to be stable in flight and that is one problem that many roller gun builders fail to understand. A projectile travels completely differently in water than it does in air. Water cannot be compressed and thus the drag coefficient is very high. Even a slight instability in shaft flight will cause the shaft to quickly lose velocity. A 7mm Remington magnum bullet could fly at 3000 fps ... now if that bullet is unstable and you shoot it in water it will travel less than an equivalent bullet travelling in a stable fashion at 1000 fps that is also shot in water.

This is why the roller guns and invert roller guns that I tried get totally blown away by a simple classic gun that has the shaft going out stable with seemingly much less band energy. It has nothing to do with an imaginary band tangle or not being to properly load the gun or setup the gun. If we could get through the fog of misinformation and look at actual real data, maybe we can figure out what the problems that these guns have and can trouble shoot the problems ... and fix it. You want an invert roller gun to shoot well ??? Start by getting the shaft out of the track straight and stable.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:10 AM   #221
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSub View Post
Deeperblue.com is good. Serious, no namecalling, no bullshit and well moderated.
Interesting, need to check it out. Moderation is needed in some instances otherwise every thread will become derailed.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:48 AM   #222
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Interesting, need to check it out. Moderation is needed in some instances otherwise every thread will become derailed.
DB is very good, I spent a while over there before joining here. And the reasons it took me a while to join here have proven themselves to be right.

DB is awesome for freediving, too but overall, perhaps the spearo section is geared a tad more towards the Med guys? That might have changed as it would only have been a result of a mostly Euro crowd over there.
For pneumatic guns that's the place to be though and I still posts most of my air related tinkering and projects there.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 10-31-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #223
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post

DB is awesome for freediving, too but overall, perhaps the spearo section is geared a tad more towards the Med guys? That might have changed as it would only have been a result of a mostly Euro crowd over there.

For pneumatic guns, that's the place to be though.

I am not sure that is the case but if it was that would make this discussion even more interesting since there are quite some polispast builders out there that are located around the Mediterranean Sea. Hearing their thoughts and experience would be worth it.
Saw this video today of a short polispast.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wIz57_6DU

What do you guys think of the concept for shorter guns as this one?

Sent from the abyss
kodama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:50 AM   #224
Behslayer

When it comes to discussions of Stable Flight, there's nothing that tells it like it is better than an offset Side view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDnI1ic0hnQ