Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Big Country8282

SPYDERCO Fish Hunter Knife

It appears that Spyderco is adding a new model to their "salt series" of knives. The new model appears to be geared more towards the spearfishing community. They are using H1 steel so it should never rust and it should be hitting the shelves this November at a price point of ~$100.

Details are as follows: Spyderco FB40SYL Fish Hunter Fixed 4.39 inch H1 Satin Serrated Blade, Yellow FRN Handles.

Has anyone else heard anything?
Big Country8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
Deeber

Re: SPYDERCO Fish Hunter Knife

My $0.02... buy cheap knives and carry multiples of them, you will drop them eventually. I have one on my inner calf, one on my belt, and a line cutter in my glove.

It hurts less to replace a $12 knife than a $100 one. Look them as disposable tools.
Deeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
dctrjayyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeber View Post
My $0.02... buy cheap knives and carry multiples of them, you will drop them eventually. I have one on my inner calf, one on my belt, and a line cutter in my glove.

It hurts less to replace a $12 knife than a $100 one. Look them as disposable tools.
agree. also, show me a steel knife that will never rust...
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrjayyy View Post
I use one of their H1 knives, and after a year I can vouch that it will literally never rust. I was skeptical so I leave it in the sheath and have never rinsed it even once. It does not rust.

Also, I used to be of the above attitude until I really started thinking about safety. The sharpest dive knife I used prior to this one was the salvimar, and I realized I could not quickly cut my 2.2mm Aussie reel line with it in an emergency. Basically my pile of dive knifes was about as good as carrying no knife, except for killing fish. The H1 blades are have a real edge that easily slices spectra and mono. I would never go back, and I'm stoked to see they have a new one coming out.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Deeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
I use one of their H1 knives, and after a year I can vouch that it will literally never rust. I was skeptical so I leave it in the sheath and have never rinsed it even once. It does not rust.

Also, I used to be of the above attitude until I really started thinking about safety. The sharpest dive knife I used prior to this one was the salvimar, and I realized I could not quickly cut my 2.2mm Aussie reel line with it in an emergency. Basically my pile of dive knifes was about as good as carrying no knife, except for killing fish. The H1 blades are have a real edge that easily slices spectra and mono. I would never go back, and I'm stoked to see they have a new one coming out.
I have cheap $5 stamped steel Chinese knives that were bad out of box, but 15sec with a bench grinder and you can shave with them. The better steel with hold an edge longer but since we are using these as disposable its a moot point.

You need to cut line use one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Sc...ba+line+cutter
easily stuffed in a glove for easy access and easier to cut line when in a sketchy situation.
Deeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
hydroid

I would be ashamed to say how many nice knives I've lost diving. Only the cheap ones now.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrjayyy View Post
i have one .

Aqualung Wenoka 304 S.S

and i have one Spyderco Aquasalt H1 since few years ..no rust either .

Spyderco FB23SBBK Aqua Salt Fixed 4.78" H1 Black Serrated Blade, FRN Handles, Polymer Sheath

rgds
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
Triton

That H1 material really is amazing stuff, I ordered one of those knives and waiting on it to arrive. I'm horrible with maintaining knives so a dive knife made of this stuff, on a kydex sheath that I can mount sideways could be a big winnner
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
That H1 material really is amazing stuff, I ordered one of those knives and waiting on it to arrive. I'm horrible with maintaining knives so a dive knife made of this stuff, on a kydex sheath that I can mount sideways could be a big winnner
I mount mine upside down.
The steel is indeed amazing. The biggest advantage over a regular dive knife is the edge is a "real" edge. I run it through an accusharp every once in a while and it stays sharp enough to shave hairs off your arm. It slices thick spectra easily. I actually use this knife when I'm rigging my guns because it cuts so well.

Sure, it costs a few bucks more. A few bucks more for the most important and probably most frequently needed piece of safety gear is nothing.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
Triton

Love this knife so far, but I need to make a bungie lanyard to secure around the tip of sheath as I've already lost the knife twice and thankfully recovered! The steel is amazing tho, no rinsing and not a bit of corrosion
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote