Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #2086
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Quote:
The link is broken. It says video is unavailable

Clip should work now
Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #2087
Ric

It was soup today at high tide at LBI-Barnegat Inlet. 3 or 4 ft, but since I get used to it I still tried. Lots of fish (Taugs, perhaps flukes ?) but I really had to get close to see them.
I tried to wait hidden at the bottom, hidden behind the rocks in the jetty, dive vertical from above, dive from the jetty to the inlet, from the inlet to the jetty, within the current, against the current, as silently as possible...nothing worked. I was still 1/2 second too late to shoot. But that was close, 1 more ft visibility and I may have got one.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #2088
Ric

Manasquan inlet was good enough today. 6ft at least. Lots of Tautogs, missed 5, shot 1 small. hmm, yeah. I saw a nice fluke looking, straight at me with my gun unloaded, sad. And also a stingray. I though there was a fluke and touched it under the sand and the thing just left with a long tail. Lots of spearos too, in the early afternoon. The viz was better in the late morning though. But altogether, it was good viz for August.

Also, I lost a fin, if by any chance...
Old 08-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #2089
Ric

Pea soup last Monday during the eclipse at BI. Really bad with water really warm. I waited until high tide flow started around 5PM: no improvement. So I guess the ocean water is dirty too.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #2090
Captain Howard

got out today out of Barnegat Inlet. I dove a few spots from 80 to 55 ft and has roughly the same conditions every stop. Bottom vis about 20 ft. bottom temp warm ( I did not check the computer) and not a lot of fish or lobster around. i did get a quality fluke, some large lobsters, a winter flounder and a med tog. Surface conditons were nice but there is a swell. the surface is still cloudy but not as bad as past weeks. Hopefully we will get out Sat again.
Captain Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #2091
spearnsurf

5 to 7 feet of great vis this evening off central monmouth county. blurry at 10 feet but could see structure from the top. water was cooler after the south winds we had the last couple days. tons of skate around. no fluke. lots of small tog. saw a few legal ones tucked way in the jetty but could never line up a shot with the waves pulling me in and out. tried a new jetty that i know from surfing used to have tons of structure exposed off the top. got out there and most of it was buried in sand.
spearnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #2092
Ric

any update ? how was or is Barnegat Inlet at high tide ? I hope it is acceptable...
Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #2093
WD40

Won't know if you don't go.
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #2094
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Won't know if you don't go.
true. Today at 12 it was swelled sea, wind, waves in the 4ft . I waited until slack but still too windy and wavy. Viz would have been in the 4ft range, not worth it.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #2095
Mana'squal

Went out Saturday at 11:40 before slack tide at Barneget inlet LB side. Vis was 4-6ft south of the inlet, picked up a trigger there. In the inlet boat traffic had the vis down to 3-4ft. Took a 29" bass in 30ft of water so overall great day even with the mediocre vis.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #2096
jersymudsniper

If you had a gopro on ur head. I talked to you at tip for a min.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #2097
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
If you had a gopro on ur head. I talked to you at tip for a min.
Ha, yeah that was me! Thanks for the heads up on where to drop in the inlet. Way to deep for me, but that's where I picked up my striper.
How did your group end up doing?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #2098
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Ha, yeah that was me! Thanks for the heads up on where to drop in the inlet. Way to deep for me, but that's where I picked up my striper.
How did your group end up doing?
And how was the visibility when you went ? I went the next day, so Sunday, and I had the feeling the viz was not too bad, perhaps 5-8ft ?
but it was hard to say without actually going in the water. Anyways it's improving I'd say, no more 2-3ft...
Old 08-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #2099
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
And how was the visibility when you went ? I went the next day, so Sunday, and I had the feeling the viz was not too bad, perhaps 5-8ft ?
but it was hard to say without actually going in the water. Anyways it's improving I'd say, no more 2-3ft...

It was 5-8ft outside of the inlet. In the inlet it was a sandstorm from boat traffic and dropped to 3-5ft. Wasn't great but it was enough to get the job done. Hoping this coming Mondays early am high tide before the boat traffic will be a nice clear dive.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #2100
Oneday121o

Moved out of jersey to Massachusetts, the VIS and the spearfishing has been good ever since...Dirty jersey!
Oneday121o is offline   Reply With Quote