Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Anybody been to the MG lately?

Just wondering if it's worth the ride. If you don't want to post. Just send me a PM. Thanks
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
zackistre

Re: Anybody been to the MG lately?

Couple guys went a week or so ago on a 2 day commercial. It was fishy but they had tons of sharks on them every dive. Said it had gotten even worse. The had multiple divers with 5-8 bull sharks at once on them. They kept having to leave fishy areas because sharks were getting really close and super aggressive even with shark shields they couldn't work.

Bring back commercial shark fishing in the gulf soon or we won't be able to dive the grounds anymore. They keep reproducing and spreading all over the gulf.
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
sharpshooter

Zack, thanks for the info. If I dive a spot that's really fishy and don't see sharks. I'm even on more high alert. It's just a matter of time before they show up. It's the shark that zips in from behind that I worry about. Have a shark shield now for a few years. Have had them dart in on a free shafted fish and swim off with fish and spear. When people start getting bit just off the beach regularly and causing tourist dollars to go elsewhere. Then, they'll do something about the sharks.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
nilsonov

what is the commercial demand for shark meat? Fins ofcourse have value, but how about the rest? Animal feed?
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
what is the commercial demand for shark meat? Fins ofcourse have value, but how about the rest? Animal feed?
New harvest requirements for carcass handling, gear and extended lists of protected species have basically made commercial harvest non-viable.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
Diverboy067

I have never shot a shark, but I recently started carrying a power head with me for protection after the numerous encounters I have had with sharks over the summer. Been diving for 30+ yrs and never felt the need for one, but recently I have had some very curious sharks get closer than I'm comfortable with (close enough to poke with a spear gun) and then follow me all the way to the surface. Never been bumped yet, but have had a few curious enough to come within 4-5' for more than one pass and it made me a little uneasy. For peace of mind, I figured it was better to have one and never use it....kind of like an EPIRB.

Bull sharks are not on the prohibited species list or federally protected like the Goliath Grouper and they are allowed to be caught H&L with a 1 per person, 2 per vessel limit. So, I don't see any legal ramifications with shooting one if you felt threatened by it, but I have a question for those of you that have had to shoot one in the past. If there are multiple sharks in the immediate area and you shoot one, would the remaining sharks back off and vacate the area or is that like ringing the dinner bell and they would be all over the dead shark, possibly creating a feeding frenzy behavior, resulting in a possibly more hazardous situation for yourself? Basically, if you had to shoot a shark, will it alleviate the threat and give you a chance to safely exit the water with time to do a safety stop or do you need to get the hell out of there and back on the boat ASAP?

Last edited by Diverboy067; 10-02-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Diverboy067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Most people around here hesitate to confirm whether or not they have had to shoot a shark but just keep quiet about it but I can tell you that there are certain situations where it becomes "necessary" for personal safety. If you havent see this video of mine, take a look https://youtu.be/9cJsCSwCU0c

and see what types of situations we can run into here in Jupiter where sharks are so numerous and used to being fed by "shark feeders."

In this situation, the only reason I didnt use my PPD is because it was the only one I had and there were quite a few sharks. Now I carry 4 and use a shark shield when I am spearing in sharky areas.

I can tell you that most of the time the other sharks back off when you have to use a PPD. I say most of the time because when they are amped up and there is a struggling fish around sometimes not even the cuncussion from a PPD will scare them off. Thats why i recommend carrying more than one.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
Most people around here hesitate to confirm whether or not they have had to shoot a shark but just keep quiet about it but I can tell you that there are certain situations where it becomes "necessary" for personal safety. If you havent see this video of mine, take a look https://youtu.be/9cJsCSwCU0c

and see what types of situations we can run into here in Jupiter where sharks are so numerous and used to being fed by "shark feeders."

In this situation, the only reason I didnt use my PPD is because it was the only one I had and there were quite a few sharks. Now I carry 4 and use a shark shield when I am spearing in sharky areas.

I can tell you that most of the time the other sharks back off when you have to use a PPD. I say most of the time because when they are amped up and there is a struggling fish around sometimes not even the cuncussion from a PPD will scare them off. Thats why i recommend carrying more than one.
Sharks are gonna be sharks.. I think way too many people freak out and go crazy like you did in that video, just abort the dive spot and there's no harm 99% of the time. I've seen sharks act that way up in SC 80 miles off on virgin dive spots. We just don't understand them 100% yet as much as some shark experts think they do. Just my 2 cents, usually unfair to comment on someones situation if you weren't there so take it with a grain of salt. I've also had Buddys have their snorkels literally bitten in half by duskys on the surface 90+ miles out of Louisiana. Crazy shit happens we just have to deal with it. As far as the shark regs go I can't comment on that. I've never killed a shark but have no hesitation whatsoever to do so, just never felt the need.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverboy067 View Post
I have never shot a shark, but I recently started carrying a power head with me for protection after the numerous encounters I have had with sharks over the summer. Been diving for 30+ yrs and never felt the need for one, but recently I have had some very curious sharks get closer than I'm comfortable with (close enough to poke with a spear gun) and then follow me all the way to the surface. Never been bumped yet, but have had a few curious enough to come within 4-5' for more than one pass and it made me a little uneasy. For peace of mind, I figured it was better to have one and never use it....kind of like an EPIRB.

Bull sharks are not on the prohibited species list or federally protected like the Goliath Grouper and they are allowed to be caught H&L with a 1 per person, 2 per vessel limit. So, I don't see any legal ramifications with shooting one if you felt threatened by it, but I have a question for those of you that have had to shoot one in the past. If there are multiple sharks in the immediate area and you shoot one, would the remaining sharks back off and vacate the area or is that like ringing the dinner bell and they would be all over the dead shark, possibly creating a feeding frenzy behavior, resulting in a possibly more hazardous situation for yourself? Basically, if you had to shoot a shark, will it alleviate the threat and give you a chance to safely exit the water with time to do a safety stop or do you need to get the hell out of there and back on the boat ASAP?
Brian, it has been my experience that after a shark dies in an area, ALL other sharks leave the area for a good 1/2 mile and don't come back for weeks.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Eibwen

Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Not trying to turn this thread into a shark discussion. I have never been to the middle grounds. It is definitely on my bucket list though. I think that increased numbers of sharks are just something we are going to have to get used to. I dont think it hurts to be prepared to protect yourself. Each diver will have their own level of comfort level and their own threshold for how much shark "interaction" they allow before resulting to defending themselves.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote