Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #3391
grey2112

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #3392
Dbrown

Spotted eagle rays are always so cool to see. Especially if big cobia swim with em!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #3393
CuzzA

Out with DKay and his wife today on the Bluewater. I don't think we left state waters and dove spots a mile off the beach. I tried my hand at freedive spearfishing and by the end of the morning I was wanting more. Of course I've done it without hunting before, but it's a different dynamic with a gun in your hand. I did not have success finding fish as apparently the last blow moved the fish from the spots or they are rocked up. Alyssa and I did drop on a big 19"+ hog, biggest of the day in 20 ft. and she beat me to the shot scoring her first fish breath holding. Anyway, probably a good thing as I'd come on here and tell everyone scuba spearfishing is for pussies. Perhaps a freedive class next year.

Anyway, we put on the tanks and got busy. Seas were calm off Anclote, no current and viz was about 20 ft. horizontal and 20 ft. vertical in 30ft. We got our limit of hogs and everyone went home with a gag. This one came in runner up at 18"+. Nothing to write home about, but we could have shot a hell of a lot more and so it seems the inshore hog population is doing really well. It's been a weird year, it seems everything has remained shallow, hanging in the no viz zone.

Thanks again Dkay! Fun day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1641
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	244404  
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #3394
pal-o-riffic

Went out of Jp’s and had a good day. 80’ and it was green, but plenty of hogs. Dropped again in 75’ and hit some larger mangs and a couple of grouper. Went into 65 and 15’ of viz, the tide could have caught up but, overall a great day with 12 Hogs, 2 grouper, and 4 large mangs. By the looks of the board should have gone north.

Blessings this thanksgiving week,
Pal
pal-o-riffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #3395
Eibwen

Out of Bayport yesterday. Beautiful day, water was around 70 degrees with 10ft horizontal viz in 25ft of water. Hit some artificials that were rumored to be very good. Plenty of fish but VERY skittish (even hogs & sherpa). One mango, two hogs, and 7 or 8 sherpa between three people. Not a great haul but we had a good time and the weather was excellent.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #3396
Dbrown

Out of Clearwater pass 12/15/19
Choppy. Ran NW about 25 miles to start. 73' ledge. 10 ft of viz. lot of particulate in water. Water 65 degrees. Current ripping from S. 3 hogs and a bunch of mangos came on the boat. Goliath did try and ambush one of my hogs. May make funny video of that later.

Dive 2 wreck in 75'. Same sucky viz and ripping current. My buddy found a nice gag that apparently watched him shoot and string a mango, so then he got shot too. 32". Only legal gag seen and shot. I shot a mango and a nurse shark started chomping on it. Line shooting. Pushed it off and kept looking for cobia. Only big AJ's. Tank done.

Dive 3 ledge in 83'. 25' viz. less current. Ton of fish. Didn't shoot great, but eventually got all the fish I was shooting at. Lot of lions seen and a few big ARS.

Laid down for ride in. Fun day. Not optimistic for next weekend viz after the coming blow Wednesday. Not seeing many gags. In shallow where the viz is poor or out deep where it is sporty to get to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9742.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	244639  
Old 12-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #3397
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Out of Clearwater pass 12/15/19
Choppy. Ran NW about 25 miles to start. 73' ledge. 10 ft of viz. lot of particulate in water. Water 65 degrees. Current ripping from S. 3 hogs and a bunch of mangos came on the boat. Goliath did try and ambush one of my hogs. May make funny video of that later.

Dive 2 wreck in 75'. Same sucky viz and ripping current. My buddy found a nice gag that apparently watched him shoot and string a mango, so then he got shot too. 32". Only legal gag seen and shot. I shot a mango and a nurse shark started chomping on it. Line shooting. Pushed it off and kept looking for cobia. Only big AJ's. Tank done.

Dive 3 ledge in 83'. 25' viz. less current. Ton of fish. Didn't shoot great, but eventually got all the fish I was shooting at. Lot of lions seen and a few big ARS.

Laid down for ride in. Fun day. Not optimistic for next weekend viz after the coming blow Wednesday. Not seeing many gags. In shallow where the viz is poor or out deep where it is sporty to get to them.
Can't wait to see that video, Dave.

I'm done for the year - especially after a report like that.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #3398
Dbrown

We were on the fence on turning back. 21' boat. Captain was able to run well enough to keep us dry, so I was good with that. I can do a bit bumpy as long as I am not wet and cold in the winter. It was 55 degrees when we headed out. Being wet would not have been fun. Viz was nice for third and final dive, we all got fish, made a 2 tank day out of it after some minor truck maintenance yesterday, so a good weekend for sure.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #3399
40tude

Anyone have current intel?
Thanks
40tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #3400
dkay

It was a hazy ttb outside of 50’ west of Anclote yesterday. Inside 40 still looked olive green. Plenty of nice mangos and hogs and of course tons of big gags just taunting us.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #3401
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkay View Post
It was a hazy ttb outside of 50’ west of Anclote yesterday. Inside 40 still looked olive green. Plenty of nice mangos and hogs and of course tons of big gags just taunting us.
Thanks for the report. Seas have finally laid down for awhile. Any idea on the bottom temperature?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #3402
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Thanks for the report. Seas have finally laid down for awhile. Any idea on the bottom temperature?
Frank from Hook & charters said temp was 66/67 in 80’-90’ near Egmont on Saturday.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #3403
dkay

Bottom temp was b/t 63-65 under the thermocline at 20’. Colder than I’d like but it helps when it’s in the 80’s with the sun shining up on the boat.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #3404
Dbrown

Out of Clw pass 3/14/20
In 36 foot, viz was 20'. Didn't see any shootable fish there. Lot of short mangos and some small gags. Sheep, but I didn't shoot any of them.
In 62' where we mainly dove, lot of mangos. Not a lot of hogs. Temp was 63 degrees. Viz was 35 feet. Basically could see bottom once under the shallow thermocline. Saw a lot of bait. Did see a big gag. Resisted the urge. Wanted to be shot for awhile (of course)before he moved on.

63 degrees got cold for repetitive diving. Clarity was nice though. Warm up top and sucked in too much sun. Happy with my 10 mangos and 3 hogs and big gag story.

Last edited by Dbrown; 03-15-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Video
Old 03-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #3405
jbsrq

Saturday in 45' off of Sarasota was the clearest vis I've ever seen. Crystal clear top to bottom and probably 50'+ horizontal. Unfortunately only managed some decent sheeps and mangos but can't complain diving in water like that.

On another note there was tons of small gags which was great to see.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote