Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #16
Pigsafloat

Re: Another Jewfish attack...well several really.

I couldn't agree with kmoose more ! I can remember pictures of my father and friends with jewfish shot from under the Howard Franklin and Gandy bridge in the 60's. I also remember the days when you hardly saw jewfish (a result of the guys powerheading them and shooting to many from under the local bridges, dad!). The posts about the evil and dangerous jewfish are getting ridiculous. If you choose to shoot fish around the published reefs and wrecks you may have give some to the landlord. So What ! It's only a damn fish. If it concerns you that much, take up another sport.
The "kill em all and rip their guts out rhetoric" is what will eventually ban my favorite sport so think before you type.
Pigsafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #17
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaR
Moose...I totally agree with you on the reason they are like that. It is true that they have been trained that they can get away with this crap. But if you go find a new uncharted wreck and do the wrong things on it (ie: be a cone), you will create the same problem there. If you want bad kids or pets raise them wrong, if you want good ones correct the problems. I want jewfish to start heading for the hills when they see a diver, not heading over for a free meal! Thanks for pointing this out.
Mark....Scott's still diving, but a lot more careful about shooting fish when the big boys are around. Love to get over there soon....how's your viz, as you've probably heard ours stinks!
This is a fine and reasonable request, but it will be highly unlikely to get the rest of the cone population to comply. Our problem right now is not GGs. Our problem right now is the perception to the public we project with stupid statements of shooting, poisoning, or feeding broken bottles to protected species for doing things WE have trained them to do!!!! If a few certain people s, continue to make such statements on public forums, you can bet a move to ban spearfishing or fishing all together will be the next governmental move. They call these areas "Sanctuaries". So if you want big brother to come in and turn most of the inshore gulf waters in to "sanctuaries" (they did it in the Keys), Keep running your yappers about wanting to kill the biggest, dumbest protected species since the manatee. If you don’t we are all going to be sitting on the benches at the mall talking about the good ol days when we were allowed to shoot fish with spearguns.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #18
inletsurf

damn good point.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #19
BwanaR
Richard Daniel

Point taken...I'll get my head out of the sand and quite living in a dream world. I don't really wish any harm to them, some enjoy seeing them. They have become a problem though even to fisherman and something needs to be done other than just everyone quite fishing and diving at these recreational sites.
BwanaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:36 PM   #20
BadLatitude
Boat farmer

Send a message via AIM to BadLatitude Send a message via Yahoo to BadLatitude

Btw and over population of anything that has been tamed and is agressive is wrong and should be brought under control. If the state of FL doesnt see that its a shame and BTW if a grizzly or a cougar attack you out west u can shoot the SOB then report it to the game wardens and they file a report on the incident. Then let you go!This is not the case with sharks or Jewfish. Its all fun and games untill some family goes recreational diving and some 14 or 15 year old kid gets grabbed by a 500 lb GG. Because he was snammer then the fish and in his realm. A safty issue is a safty issue. An over population of agressive animals is just that. There is nothing more to it.

Here is an Idea ,, the state should fund a TON of new reefs to aid in the dispersion of the GG population, Instead of them hanging in popular places in 10s and 12s hhmmm =)
BadLatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Mine?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 04-11-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote