Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #31
Snapper Mangler

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-8-14

Rip, save us some fish up there
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #32
apexpredator
Ace of Spades

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-8-14

For the friends and family of this young man I am truly sorry for your loss. I followed his posts and though many of us never meet in person on this forum I feel a certain closeness to everyone in the community. Very sad to loose another talented person to the sport we all love.
"The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise..who spends his days on the mountain and forests..who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst..for the love of nature..to visit the utmost refuge of beast and bird." Pease

Extreme Divers spearfishing club
apexpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #33
Man-O-War
Lothario

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexpredator View Post
For the friends and family of this young man I am truly sorry for your loss. I followed his posts and though many of us never meet in person on this forum I feel a certain closeness to everyone in the community. Very sad to loose another talented person to the sport we all love.
Well said Emil.

RIP Nate
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #34
Alocubano

R i p
Alocubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #35
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Prayers to all who knew Nate personally that they be given peace through the lives he touched.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #36
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Very sad news. My condolences.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #37
trueplayer
miami aquaholic

Rip sad loss
trueplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #38
AndrewK

im going to get this out there now.

friday i noticed the weather window and told nate we should get out. small mako flats boat he has so had to pick and choose our days.

we dropped the boat at the ramp the night before. tied up at our condos dock. left at 530am to go troll offshore for mahi. nate always insisted just the two of us on the boat as it fills up fast with our dive gear and fishing gear.

we fished offshore successfully and moved in to the reef to do some diving. i had two tanks on the boat, i did one drift with a dive flag float along some 80 ft stuff, got some fish and came up.

moved nate to a trench off north miami. the reef is 45 -50 at the top, 60 in the bottom of the trnech and its about 30 feet wide. nate was an extremely competent freediver and told me to just keep the boat unanchored, he wouldnt be in long since he was tired. having dove with him for the past 2 and a half years ive always known his habits. he dives with a reel on his gun and hates floatlines. refused to ever use one. the last thing i said to him before he dropped down was to watch for blacks at the spot, and he disappeared through the murk layer on the surface.

i waited 2 minutes, maybe 3. nate had a habit of popping up but being discreet about it. he had a habit of getting away from my direct line of sight and coming back to me out of nowhere whenever we dove.

i saw a fish tail floating on the surface. moved the boat to pick it up figuring he was right next to it. i picked up the black grouper and threw it in the boat and looked around. no nate. i yelled hs name. i screamed his name over and over again. i threw the anchor over as quick as i could and tied off while calling 911. i was praying that hed left the fish for me to pick up, that he swam off or got blown down current and wasnt giving me a sign yet.

at 12:23 pm on sunday i called 911. by 12:29 the firstpolice boat arrived on scene. by 12:41 nate was located and brought to the surface by rescuers. i had to watch as they began CPR and brought him onto the police boat, they took off so fast to get him to a waiting ambulance. I cut the anchor line on our boat and followed fast as i could.

the rest i dont remember what time it was . the minute the police officer called the hospital and told me nate was gone a thunderstorm rolled in and i just cried and cried.

on sunday i lost my dive buddy, my roommate, my best friend. I made him promisee to be the best man at my wedding. he helped me save my relationship with my girlfriend this winter. he did so much for me and touched my life and the lives of many others.

i cant write anny more right now
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #39
primalpete

Andrew,

I can't imagine what you are going through. We are here for you buddy. Give me a call if you want to talk.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #40
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

I'm at a loss for words ...

So sorry for the loss of Nate, please let us know what we can do as a community for you and or his family.

Aloha,
Chad
Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #41
Trailrunner

You had an awesome friend and so did Nate. So very sorry for what happened and what you are going through. You both were obviously very skilled and competent and doing what you loved.

Things happen in all activities that can be dangerous. We accept the risks, when we engage in those activities. You should not be second guessed here, sometimes bad things happen. Thank you for posting and providing information that might help some Spearfisherman in the future.

Condolences to all Nate's family and friends, what a terrible loss.

I am actually trying to move more into Free Diving in the future. This makes me think even stronger about considering an FRV.
Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #42
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrunner View Post
I am actually trying to move more into Free Diving in the future. This makes me think even stronger about considering an FRV.
Do it, make that you're first priority. I refuse to dive without mine now.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
Ryfish

So sorry for your loss Andrew. If you need someone to talk to feel free to give me a call, I lost a twin brother to a hunting accident and know part of what you are going through. Please also send my condolences to Nate's family and other friends.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #44
Ryan J
firmly embedded member

My deepest condolences to you Andrew and to Nate's family. What a tragic loss may he RIP

view my videos at: http://vimeo.com/zenmax
Ryan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #45
Moving Target

As I said... We are here for you Andrew... May Nate Rest in Piece and you find comfort in knowing that we all make choices in life. We all choose to dive knowing the risks, some choose to take risks beyond what are accepted norms. Such are the passions that drive our lives. You and I both know that if something happened to us while deep dropping or tied up with a fish, etc then we would not find fault in anyone but ourselves. He knew you were a great friend and the events of last weekend will never change that. Let me know when you are ready to grab a beer or get back in the water. I'll dive with you anytime.

Humanitarian, Philanthropist, Champion of the arts, supporter of single moms, and role model for misguided youths... errr maybe not...
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote