Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:49 AM   #1
MEH

Torch Lake Michigan in July

Hi Folks,

I'm going to be spending the last week of July at Torch lake and would like to do some spearfishing. I have a lot of experience freediving all over the world, but have never dove freshwater.

I'm trying to wade through the convoluted regs for spearfishing in Michigan. Does anyone have experience spearfishing in Michigan and Torch Lake in particular?

I'm wondering about legality and also if it's worth it to spearfish for the species that you can legally shoot. It looks like you can't shoot salmon or trout, but just the "less desirable" fish. Is that true?

Is anyone looking for a dive buddy for the last week in July in the Torch Lake area?
MEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Re: Torch Lake Michigan in July

Rough fish only, (carp, gar, cats, suckers, bowfin).
You can also shoot whitefish and cisco. Those are worth eating and do live in Torch lake, but they live deep down because they like the cold. If you were going to find any, you would probably have to either dive SCUBA, dive really deep or dive at night near a river mouth and hope you run across some.

Torch is a deep lake, deepest point is 280ffw and average is over 100ffw. Check it out on the Navionics chart and try to find some structure that looks promising to you. From what I hear, the vis is pretty great.

Good luck!
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
MIspearo

You would probably have more luck hopping over to one of Traverse City's bays. More shootable fish there such as carp and sheepshead (which taste pretty good).
MIspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Indiana Jones

Mi spearo quite lying about steepnhead
Indiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
MIspearo

Nate go home, you’re drunk haha. Sheep heads are actually not bad too, you should try em sometime.
MIspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIspearo View Post
You would probably have more luck hopping over to one of Traverse City's bays. More shootable fish there such as carp and sheepshead (which taste pretty good).
I live in TC right now and will be here for another year. let me know if you're ever coming up this way to go spearfish. I've never dove out in the great lakes.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
diveBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuuken View Post
Rough fish only, (carp, gar, cats, suckers, bowfin).
You can also shoot whitefish and cisco. Those are worth eating and do live in Torch lake, but they live deep down because they like the cold. If you were going to find any, you would probably have to either dive SCUBA, dive really deep or dive at night near a river mouth and hope you run across some.

Torch is a deep lake, deepest point is 280ffw and average is over 100ffw. Check it out on the Navionics chart and try to find some structure that looks promising to you. From what I hear, the vis is pretty great.

Good luck!

And FYI, if you want to check the charts out before you buy the app you can see all the data using the online chart app at http://webapp.navionics.com
diveBabe is offline   Reply With Quote