Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
SMSDiver

Dominican Republic

Got a trip coming up to the DR in April. Looking for any Intel on regs and local guide connections and anyone's past experiences. Free diving only. Much appreciated.
SMSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
nilsonov

Re: Dominican Republic

There are no regulations, and also no fish. You can enjoy freediving in the deadest reef around, right on par with jamaica, as long as you imagine how great those rock canyons must of looked with live reef on them. Offshore it might be a different story.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
There are no regulations, and also no fish. You can enjoy freediving in the deadest reef around, right on par with jamaica, as long as you imagine how great those rock canyons must of looked with live reef on them. Offshore it might be a different story.
No Regulations! My goodness, that sounds like paradise for some folks that feel we are over regulated by idiots driven by special interest groups.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
Summerland Key

So, let's see if I understand this correctly? If no regulations = no fish, and over regulation = no fishing -- then what does reasonable fisheries regulations equal?
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
SMSDiver

Thanks for sharing nilsonov. I heard something similar earlier. I also heard blue water is good. If anyone has any recommendations for a boat/captain let me know.
SMSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerland Key View Post
So, let's see if I understand this correctly? If no regulations = no fish, and over regulation = no fishing -- then what does reasonable fisheries regulations equal?
Reasonable is where things get indifferent among user groups. Considering the shear amount of fishing pressure our regions incur I feel we are in the ballpark for most. I do though think the regions are a little too diverse to be encompassed by just two management factions. It's not a one size fits all fishery and to impose management directives evenly from Texas to the Gulf side of keys or from Miami to North Carolina is a little too broad a stroke for most to consider fully reasonable.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Summerland Key

[quote=kmoose;2075823]It's not a one size fits all fishery

You are correct about that.

The reef fish we target in the keys (black grouper, yellowtail snapper, mutton snapper and gray snapper) are more of a bycatch to those fishing to the north of us. And the reef fish they target to the north of us (gag grouper, pink porgy vermillion snapper, black sea bass, red snapper) are a bycatch at best for us in the Keys. Some, like black sea bass, don't even occur in the Keys.

Our fishing season for reef fish is best in the winter (market with tourist season, fish are in shallower, cooler water). The season to the north of us is summer.

Yet, the councils try to manage everything the same -- painting it all with the same broad brush.
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
diveincanada

was in Punta Canna a year ago and asked around and in that area, it wasn't allowed. So I went scuba diving instead and saw plenty of fish. Nice big Snappers that came really close.. maybe because they never get shot at...
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote