Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > World Cup Laz Paz Bluewater Tournament - July 6-10, 2009

World Cup Laz Paz Bluewater Tournament - July 6-10, 2009 The fourth World Cup Bluewater will be held in La Ventana Mexico in July

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #31
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA

Re: ANNOUNCING - the World Cup Invitational Bluewater Meet - July 6-10, 2009

HEy guys

the Dorado love the new FAds - weve got 5 boats out today, 2 of them are spearfishing - 3 rod and reel - the AJ's have been sighted but they ared deep and the DODOS are plenty with some nize bulls in the 30+ range - weve got 1 spearo headed out to the the backside buoys 10 miles outside the island looking for narlin and toad Dorado - the other is focusing on the north end - heres a pic to get you pumped!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigDodo.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	105732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DODOgroup.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	105733  
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Tim Hatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #32
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA

weve got our best captains and boats ready to take you to all the best spots on the scouting days - we go to El BAjo also - just costs a little more for the fuel- stoked to see everybody soon!!
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #33
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA

We had a great day yesterday - roosters, one striped marlin, Dorado, and Pargo
our boats are ready to take you to all our spots and all our FADS that we set!! Scouting begins July 2nd for the World Cup
Tap beer getting even colder
heres some pics - see you guys soon - welcome back veterans!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JQJ.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	105809   Click image for larger version

Name:	ColinPargo.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	105810   Click image for larger version

Name:	GregBill.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	105811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shane.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	105812  
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
dennishaussler

OK folks its ON!!
I'm out of here tomorrow morning!!! WAHOOOOOOO!!!!
Talked with Tim several times this week, and the big AJ are around, wahoo are coming on strong, and the dorado are making a nuisance of themselves.
We have 27divers this year, and tons of gear for prizes!!
We also have cash for the first two spots. Keep an eye on this link and I'll try to update as the meet progresses.
Hopefully chaput and his boys haven;t shot all the fish in the area!

120 ft
Cause its a long way up,,,,,,,,
dennishaussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #35
worldofblue

Any update post Day 1?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #36
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

I just wanted to give a great big thank you to all of the competitors, and to Tim and his family and staff at Palapas Ventana. Dennis puts on a great competition, I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in seeing the real Baja and a LOT of big fish. This was my first trip to Baja, and I had an amazing time. I have to give a special thanks to Christian and Keith for being great dive buddies and always having my back, and to Mike McGuire for taking lots of great pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07882.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	106872  

Questions about the Fox Float? Send them to Foxfloats@gmail.com

www.foxfloats.com
sticknrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #37
freedivehunt131
Keith Love Spearin Addict

Send a message via AIM to freedivehunt131

justin you got a sail after the comp? if so you have to give us the story
freedivehunt131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #38
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

Yep. Christian and I went out Saturday morning to hit the East side of the island, but on the way out, the pongero started shouting "Marleen, Marleen" (marlin). We saw the tail cruising the surface, and I finished throwing on my gear. I slid into the water and started kicking like hell. I swam around, following the hand signals from the ponga driver, changing directions with the fish for about 20 minutes. The fish got farther and farther away, and finally I got back into the boat. We re-positioned, and I slid back into the water.

Christian and the pongero were getting more and more animated when I would look to them for directions, yelling at me to swim faster. I glanced over to my right, and there he was, he had circled, and was paralleling me. I swung my 140 railgun straight out at my 3o'clock position, picked a spot, and pulled the trigger. My float line got taut, and my smaller first float went under. I swam alongside my second float and called for another gun. Christian jumped in wearing just his boardshorts and mask and fins, and handed me the R.A. 130 he had won the night before. He was also trying to get some video on his camera.

I worked my way to my shooting line, dove on the fish and gave him another dose of steel, as I wanted to make sure I had a holding shot on him since I was just using flopper shafts. The Rob Allen threaded him, passing the shaft clean through him and sliding him onto the mono. This time, he freaked out. He charged me, then jumped out of the water, spun around, making a huge mess out of shooting and float lines. He went after Christian, and I watched in horror as he tried to spear him in the guts with his bill. Christian got his hand out, and got stabbed in the hand instead of the guts.

We grabbed the fish, and I buried my knife into his skull. After a few more for good measure, it was done. Time for pictures. The pongero had still only seen the tail, so he was sure we were batteling a marlin. I surfaced with the fish, and there were already 2 other boats full of divers there. They may have been a little disappointed, but I was glad they were there for the photoshoot.

www.foxfloats.com
Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #39
Killingcarp
Christian Baker

it was a great last day on the water and adds to the cool stuff ive done and seen in my life here are a couple pics taken later that day headin back
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0370.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	106951   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0371.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	106952  
Killingcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #40
Red Tide

Awesome story Justin!!! Those sailfish can be very unpredictable when speared. I shot one that went crazy like yours and used my buddy (Cameron) like a human shield to protect me from the crazy fish. He was screaming and fwhaling his arms as I bear hugged him from behind. Good stuff
Great diving and hanging out with you guys. I look forward to doing it again next year.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #41
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

Thanks GR, by the way, your hat and sunglasses went with McGuire, he is going to ship them to you. The video is pretty cool, I will try to figure a way to put it up here. Christian is a little skinny to be a human shield, but I made due with what I had...:-)

www.foxfloats.com
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #42
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA

SPECIAL THANKS TO GR TARR and MAX Keidel
these guys donated their prize money to our local kindergarten project - GR you are very generous for a vato sin trabajo
really enjoyed having you guys here and cant wait for your return to PALAPAS VENTANA - stay tuned for Dennis's announcement for 2010 dates!!
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #43
freedivehunt131
Keith Love Spearin Addict

Send a message via AIM to freedivehunt131

thats bad ass. great job
freedivehunt131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #44
Icarus Pacific
No Cal

Very classy moves on both participant's parts. Saludos.

I look forward to hearing a comprehensive report of all the going's on. The event, like Palapas Ventana and the surrounding area continues to evolve into a first class venue.
Icarus Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #45
dennishaussler

Well,
Guess its time I write a report on this years world cup.
First off,,,,,,, CONGRATS TO GR TARR!!!!!!!!!!!
He did what I expected him to do, win this thing and make it look easy!!
This guy is truly one of the most talented divers I have ever had the pleasure to watch in action. His knowledge and expertise is amazing, and he continues to show me things that no other divers I know of do.
Nice job GR, sorry I wasn;t up to holding the candle to your ass this time.

Now for the fish report. I expected this year to be good for fish, and it was. LOTS of wahoo, dorado, toro, with decent counts of AJ, rooster, and miscellaneous species thrown in. The wahoo were not as big as last year, although some hogs were seen and missed, they were still nice fish.
AJ's went the same, with big AJ being just over 50lbs. I saw several in the 90lb class, but always after taking my 1 of that species for the day, so couldn;t do anything but look at them and laugh.
BIg fish of the meet was a 53lb rooster taken by Guy Skinner of JBL on the last day, to dethrone me for big fish trophy!! Nice job Guy!
No billfish were taken, although several were seen, but no shots afforded. Some big schools of milkfish were around, so if you had the chance to get into them, it was possible to take one, just took a little patience and stealth.
Someone had a 7-8ft mako come up on the fads, but did not give them any grief. There was a commercial shark operation on the island, with lots of carcasses littering the bottom in front of camp. They did use the entire fish, not just the fins or jaws, so thats a good thing.

GR started out in front, and never let up. It was a fox chase for second from there on out, bouncing between James Hardesy, Max Gradin from Brazil, Mike McGuire, Chris Woods I believe all having second for a day, but Max from brazil finished it off in the end holding everyone else off for second place.

I won;'t go into details on the daily take, but we finished with somewhere around 100 fish taken, and over 1300lbs of fish sold and donated to the local kindergarten.

Some highlights: Shannon on a standup paddle board mixing it up at the starting line on day 3!! Oh yeah, did I say bikini???
Guys Rooster on the last day, daily reports of wahoo that KNEW you had already shot yours for the day, and then proceed to dog you, swimming up to your nose, begging you to shoot them, but no one did. Everyone observed the rules and there were no DQ's for a unblemished record for this meet!
Tuesday night pool party down the road, with full bar, chile rellenos, musica, james in an absolutley ****ed up hat that only he could or would wear!
Awards banquet night, with John Perretti doing demos on finishing holds, choke outs, and various other martial arts moves on the divers and pangeros. Great music, great food, great awards and prizes, Tims new drinking game called BEER APNEA, which will be explained at a later date!
Great company, great crew at palapas ventana taking care of everyone!
AND, last but not least, GR's showing of true class WHEN HE DONATED THE 2000$ CASH PURSE TO THE LOCAL KINDERGARTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a class act! This guy spends a pocket full of money to show up and dive this meet, then gives away the first place cash purse!!
Max followed suit by giving his 1200$ second place to the school as well, so we will be doing some really nice work on the school in the upcoming months. I understand there will be a new playground for them as well as possibly and AC unit, or transimission for the school van. Tim will update me when he gets it all finalized.

SO, all that said, if you weren';t there, you missed it!
Oh yeah, what happened to my showing?? What excuse would you like?
All I can say, is I never really moved into the competitive mode, just kind of cruising along, thinking I was gonna win it with a boat load of luck! It never showed, so I wound up down in 10th place. Like everyone else, it all could have changed with 1 fish, but never got there for me.

I want to thank all our sponsors, starting with
GOLD LEVEL PALAPAS VENTANA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim and his crew stepped to fill the spot vacated by pelaj and not only supported the meet at the gold level, but really took care of everyone! First class service, accomodations, food, beach service, fish care, etc!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Timoteo!!!!!
This is the way it went daily:
Meet for breakfast at 0615.
Down the stairs to the beach directly below the restaurant, grab your gear that has been hanging in the two covered garage tents to dry. Grab your guns that were stored in a locked trailer after being washed in 3 freshwater tubs next to the trailer.
Oh year, I forgot grab your lunch and drinks off the table at the restaurant on before heading to the beach.
Pangeros on the beach at 0630, load your boat with capitans help, stage offshore waiting for the starting gun. 0700 off to the races!!
Dive your ass off, shoot fish, eat lunch in between spots, back on beach at 1600hrs.

Pangeros and crew help unload boat, fish is placed under tarps on ice after being weighed by lovely shannita, then fish is filleted by pangeros while you saunter a mere 10yds to the tent for a cold beverage, sit down in the shade and tell story about the day while all the fish are being prepped for storage or sale.

Head to room, shower, laydown for a nap if you wanted, then back to resaurant for dinner, drinks, claiming of fish, and drawing for next days pangeros.

Back to room, turn on AC, head to bed.

Get up, do it again!!

What a treat it is to have everything within 100yds of the headquarters!!

Now on with the sponsors!
HUGE shoutout and thanks to

RIFFE INTERNATIONAL
SEASNIPER
JBL
IMERSION
FLORIDA FREEDIVERS AND ROB ALLEN
HAWAIIN SKINDIVER
HAMMERHEAD
HATCH CUSTOM SPEARGUNS
KIGER CONSTRUCTION
DAKINE
PELAGIC
DEES FLASHERS
NEPTONICS
DARYL WONG
DIVER FINS

I CAN;T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT ALL THESE COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Everyone there went home with a nice prize, and all that is due to our proud sponsors!

Well, I'm sure the story will be in the mags, so keep your eyes open for more to come, and if you ever thought about attending an event like this, keep your eyes peeled for next years meet dates, and shoot me a line at dennis@20fathoms.com for details.

Thanks again everyone who attended, and once again, congrats and thanks GR!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2009_LaPaz_HSD_V4 (Large).jpg
Views:	567
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	107153   Click image for larger version

Name:	beer apnea (Large).jpg
Views:	685
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	107154   Click image for larger version

Name:	capitan enrique and trinidad (Large).jpg
Views:	594