Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
pelagicmisfit
Seamonkey stole my prop..

Shark!

Haven't seen any shark safety questions on the board for a while i was hoping that meant the reefs around my parts weren't covered in them

Anyway, i have never had a real problem with sharks while spearfishing before. Never been scared of them. Never even really nervous. I only harbored awe for them.

Recently however, a problem did arise. On a trip out a few weeks ago the amberjack were EVERYWHERE and i was stoked to finally shoot my first one. While i was gearing up to get in the water, my brother, who had only been in the water for a few minutes spotted what he thought was a six foot bull shark. No big deal, i thought. I'll just have to keep an eye on the little bugger, right?

So, we're all in the water checking out the schools of amberjack and snapper when a few more sharks come by. Small ones, no worries. They quickly go just as fast as they came. We all look down. Now we have problems. Lots of bull sharks. and big 'uns too.

Even though we hadn't shot any fish yet the bulls immediately took an interest in us. It started by being circled and having them just lazily check us out. Soon enough i started recognizing the call signs of more aggressive behavior. it wasn't long before they started to come up from the deep, nearly straight up at us. I remembered everything i read about what to do and pointed my gun directly at the oncoming shark, swam down at him and yelled at him. That one went away. Then the rest started giving us more trouble.

We decided to head back to the boat after dealing with them for an extended period of time. When we hit shore i laid my gun down and realized that if my gun is 6 ft long then the sharks were well over that. AWESOME!

Thought i would post this experience and just ask again, what is the correct response to the ever more curious shark?
pelagicmisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
tshark
Shooting & Stringing!

Re: Shark!

first of all after you shoot a fish do not attach the stringer to yourself hold it in one hand! Second never take your eyes off the sharks or florida fan tails. Oh if the stringer is attached to you & they take it they just took you too! Sharks & Florida Fan tails like the easy meal & will usually leave you alone if you show them who is boss. bumping them on the nose with your gun if they get too close & they usually go away or hold way back. What ever you do dont ever shoot a shark with a line shaft even in self defense unless you dont want your gun because he will probably take it from you. Use a free shaft or a power head but only for self defense. If you have fish already consider leaving your stringer attached to the anchor line sending them to the surface with a lift bag or ending your dive when you surface hold them out of the water above your head & point your gun down while swimming calmly back to the boat. Most of all be careful & try to use common sense? Remember they are always unpredictable & can be very dangerous & whenever you are spearfishing you are taking a risk! No fish is worth your life! Dive safe Dive often & live to dive another day!
tshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
pelagicmisfit

Well, i freedive so the stringer is not a problem. i've been noticing an influx of bulls recently on the deeper reefs as well... very interesting and makes for some great footage.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
kywestfreediver

Send a message via AIM to kywestfreediver

What are Florida Fan tails?

Anyways, if you are experiencing aggressive sharks and you have yet to shoot a fish, i would suggest simply moving spots.. If they are being a menace before you entice them, then chances are it will only get worse if you challenge them for fish.
kywestfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
tshark
Shooting & Stringing!

Come on now you dont know what a Florida Fan Tail is? They are the protected groupers the size of vw bugs eating everything in site including our stringers! Wait till one gets ahold of your catch & drags you under a ledge or into a wreck.
tshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
berty

You mean a goliath? i didnt know they were called Florida fan tails, but im not from Florida either so i can get away with it LOL!!!!
berty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
pelagicmisfit

yeah, been having a LOT of trouble with bulls becoming aggressive before anything has even been shot.