Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
Eddieparrasuper

Gopro mounting options

What is out there i dont know about. Gun mount sucks. Mask mount is better, but sucks in kelp. Any other options or ideas that you might have.
Eddieparrasuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:25 AM   #2
pbguy420

Re: Gopro mounting options

I've had no issues with the cheap head straps on Amazon. Without a hood they stay on as long as your duck dive isn't a disaster. If you put it under your hood it's not going anywhere... much better in my opinion than the masks with mounts (none of them fit my face)
pbguy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
kevtegr8
Subsistence Hunter

Gopro mask all the way. Just bought a second one.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Ontogeny

I prefer gun mounts. Can twist them to the side to film your buddies and get a lot more stability than with mask footage. It's also easy to tell when you're recording.

My favorites for metal barrel guns is the Mako mount. Their wooden mount is very similar (or even better). It's simple to attach and rock solid. One nice thing about the Mako mount (for both metal and wood guns) is that I was able to drill a hole in it and attached a quickfist, so it doubles as a flashlight mount. Super useful when NorCal hole hunting. You also have some leeway about where on the gun you want to install it, allowing your GoPro to be mounted near the nose of the gun, meaning less gun in your field of view.

For wooden guns, the Neptonics mount is super sleek and incredibly easy to install, and it has a lot less drag. However, I had to rig up a separate flashlight mount which sort of negates the drag advantage. It's also situated at the back of the gun, which means you get more gun in your GoPro field of view. It also can block the safety on my Riffe gun... though I don't use the safety, and treat it as a loaded weapon at all times.

Really, both are great.
Ontogeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Eddieparrasuper

I actually just take my flashlight only while lobster diving. I carry a 110 so shooting into a rock would destroy my shaft. Don't usually hole hunt, instead, i hunt in kelp. I'm trying to get another 75cm gun soon for hole hunting. There so much fun. I started off with a cheap JBL magnum short gun. There aren't that many slugs around me. I was just shooting fish i could touch in the kelp and occasionally would get lucky under a rock. My gun wasn't sufficient enough.

Having a longer gun is tough to move around. Especially with things attached to it.
I just don't like swaying my gun across my body with a huge gopro sticking out.
1. field of vision is disrupted
2. adds too much drag to one side (uneven)
3. snags kelp

mask mount is better.

how about the chest mount? Has anyone tried that b4?
Eddieparrasuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

I use a "home made" version of this.
https://www.makospearguns.com/Chin-S...o-p/mcshbc.htm

Instead of buying one of the MAKO ones, I just bought the multiple go pro accessory kits from Amazon for ~$10, with the head mount included. Then just drilled a couple holes in the ends of a mask strap, and zip tied it on the head mount.

It's great, it doesn't move very much. It can be fit to any size head, and you wear it over your mask. Since it's not attached, you can remove it easily for a different shot. Also, the elastic band lets you flip down the camera to tell if it's on/recording (if it's on silent mode)

Here's a video I made while using the ghetto head mount.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoeloYC9TuQ
Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
bigjim
No White Flags

I just wear it on a headstrap under my hood...works fine for a bunch of different kinds of diving/spearing...

https://youtu.be/GpmpBe0d7pU

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
arice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieparrasuper View Post
What is out there i dont know about. Gun mount sucks. Mask mount is better, but sucks in kelp. Any other options or ideas that you might have.
I mount mine right on the shark.
arice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieparrasuper View Post
I think you have to prioritize; do you want to shoot decent video that "normal" people might like to see, or do you want to spearfish and record some of the action with the least bother possible?

You really can't have both. I use a Go-Pro head mount for most of my videos (with a chin strap) similar to what MAKO offers for most of my scuba and freediving. Obviously my intent is to spearfish. This is my latest head mount video, if you try to (sometimes) remember you are wearing a camera, you can stare at subjects longer than you would normally and you can concentrate on reduction of head motion and eventually you can capture some decent segments (but they will tend to be short). It takes some practice, and if you are nervous or really actively hunting, your head is on a swivel and video has limited use.

https://youtu.be/w2z9UCAeocU

If you want to try to take good quality video with any length in each individual clip and also have good stability, then I have found that a two handle tray system is best. If you want to get good color and want close ups, then you have to add lights, unless diving only like 15 ft. I use the MAKO tray and light system with a pair of wide angle video lights (from MAKO as well). I don't use filters that much, but I am color blind to a considerable degree, so maybe the filters would help more than I realize.

This is my most recent video using lights and a tray...not spearing, just trying to record my son and his buddy's night dive.

https://youtu.be/-9yfkTSgQag

I've used a gun mount and it provides a stable base for shots, but it does have some limitations. I just find the head mount easier because I freedive and scuba and spear and catch lobsters. The gun mount does provide a very unique perspective and it is fun to play with different options.

Also, placing the camera on a 3-ft stick or piece of pvc pipe can let you capture some cool selfies and you have decent stability and you can get the camera in the face of active subjects without scaring them as much, tough to hold that and a gun, but for just filming the stick can work well if you use two hands.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
SJspearo

U tank dive breh?

You just lost a lot of credibility in my book breh
SJspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #11
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJspearo View Post
U tank dive breh?

You just lost a lot of credibility in my book breh
LOL... I didn't know i had much to lose.

I do snorkeling too.. sometimes..More head cam --Also when diving around a bunch of bull sharks, the head cam does tend to get a little "busy".

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
Ater22

I just bought the octomask freedivers mask. Fits my face great. Had a little trouble the first time using it , but now I'm happy with it.
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote