Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #1
Vodalaz

Netarts and seals

So, it's been a while, but today I made it out to Netarts bay and did some diving. We were out with a group from work they were throwing rings, and a couple of us were supposed to dive but my buddy got hurt so was cruising on the kayak. This was my first time in the bay and it was a good place kinda like a large swimming pool no waves crystal clear (by NW standards) water. Only got a couple of crab and a clam, guess its not the prime season for them right now. Saw a monkey eel, some small surf perch, greenling, nothing worth shooting.

Now the fun part, there are a lot of harbor seals the small spotted kind, how do they behave are they dangerous? I kept my distance, but when I was kayaking by them on the shore they started jumping into the water and following me. I just cant get a read on them are they trying to attack me or just curious? As they were following me I would turn around and they dive so I guess they are more afraid of me. What does seal taste like (joking) .
Vodalaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Netarts and seals

Harbor seals are no threat to you. Mainly, they want to play with you. Enjoy them. They might steal a fish at the far end of a line, but nothing else. Keep the fish close to your body if they are around, put it out of the water on your float or kayak, and carry on. Really, they are kind of like big puppies.

Glad you enjoyed Netarts.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver

I totally agree with Max. I’ve dove near them many times without issue. One time in an undisclosed cove we bumped several dozen seals off of a resting rock when we entered the cove mouth on my little RIB. On one of my first drops down, as i lay vertically in the water swimming for the bottom, i looked up to see a seal following me down at no more than an arms length. I watched him and he watched me until i reached out to touch him and he took off.

Like max said, enjoy them. Sea lions are the assholes.
Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Vodalaz

Thanks, good to know. What is the protocol for sea lions, and are they around here (Oregon coast)?
Vodalaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
North Star
Max

I have only encountered sea lions in California when diving. I am not saying they are not in Oregon, I have just never encountered them up here. They are more aggressive than harbor seals, and will rush you if they are mating, and are more aggressive about trying to take fish, and are MUCH larger. I only had one negative encounter with one, and he left after a confrontation, but I imagine a herd of them could be a lot more unpleasant.

But, I do not think you have anything to worry about from them up here. But others could give you better advice than I on that subject.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
Darmes
Dan

I've never had an issue with sea lions in the water in OR. They have scared the crap out of me (figuratively), but typically I only see them once on a fly by and then they swim off. Couple guys I know have told me stories of them being more aggressive so definitely something to be aware of, but not typically something I worry about too much.
@the_oregon_freedive_co
oregonfreediving.com
freediveoregon@gmail.com
Darmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
Coos-spearo

If you are kayak fishing, sea lions are like sharks. It's a race to get the fish in before the sea lion takes it. If they see you catching fish, it attracts all kinds of attention. If you crab, the sea lions will raid your pots. At one time, everyone crabbed with chicken, so the sea lions would not raid the crab pots, however, the sea lions adapted to the chicken. I noticed when I am diving, the sea lions are becoming more brave, getting much closer, and doing more swim-bys. With sea lions, familiarity breeds contempt. The benefit to diving with sea lions is that they are a good signal system for sharks. The one day I was diving off of Gregory Point, out of Coos Bay, and I notice all the sea lions were high up on the beach, was the same day a white ate a seal, in the same vicinity. If the seals and sea lions are swimming freely, I feel much safer. Especially, in our low vis conditions.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
Navanax
Ken

Years ago I was working at Santa Cruz island and a male seal lion was nosing around for the 1st two dives. I decided to swim in the mid water back to the boat and he's doing big circles around me. Third circle he's right in front of me, 10-15' away, and takes a huge dump. 10' wide cloud. Must be sea lion humor.