Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Hank49

Re: Mexican Panga - What size engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I'll take the bait. What is the advantage of the panga? Is it just speed and economy on flat water? Everybody here and in the posted thread has said that they beat you to death in anything bigger than 2ft seas (hell, I don't know that I've ever been out in anything less than that!) and in some cases are dangerous because of the short freebaord. I'm trying to see the advantage here, personally I'd rather have a smaller deep-v that could handle decent seas.
They're popular here and in Central America because for the size boat, you can put a small motor and move a lot of....fish, people, cement....whatever. Economical is the main selling point. But also, for an old fart like me, I'm in no big hurry to get anywhere. The fish will wait for me. And like I said, either I use that boat, or pay a dock fee to keep a bigger boat somewhere else.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
divingdesigns
Brian

Not only is it lower power that runs these boats well, that also cost less to power and fuel, but the flater bottom boat is much more stable at rest in the water. It will not rock as much side to side as a deep V will. Deep V boats are great in the chop but they rock like mad in a swell when you are trying to get your gear on or just fishing at anchor.

www.Redwoodempiredivers.org
A family friendly Skin and SCUBA dive club out of Santa Rosa CA

www.Montereybaytritons.com
A freedive only dive club thats meets in Monterey CA
divingdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Hank49

They may rock a little less in chop. I never really noticed that. But Sunday, I had to cut my water time short because a couple guests were sitting in the boat, anchored just out over the reef, in 2 foot seas without much wind at all, and they got sea sick. Bummer too because I had just gotten into some grouper.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
divingdesigns
Brian

That sucks, the dory style boats I have been in are more stable to me at anchor, but that is just my observation. Every passenger has a differnt idea of what stable is.

www.Redwoodempiredivers.org
A family friendly Skin and SCUBA dive club out of Santa Rosa CA

www.Montereybaytritons.com
A freedive only dive club thats meets in Monterey CA
divingdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Bent Tip

Quote:
I'll take the bait. What is the advantage of the panga? Is it just speed and economy on flat water? Everybody here and in the posted thread has said that they beat you to death in anything bigger than 2ft seas (hell, I don't know that I've ever been out in anything less than that!) and in some cases are dangerous because of the short freebaord. I'm trying to see the advantage here, personally I'd rather have a smaller deep-v that could handle decent seas.
Some of the other guys have noted the key advantages in my mind - economy and relative load capacity. I think they also are relatively versatile - pretty seaworthy but have a shallow draft. They do pound in chop, however.

To me there is also the "when in Rome" type consideration - why not run the same type of locally-made rigs as the local guys run? If you pick up a Contender (or whatever) in south Florida because that is what the local experts run and because the factory is up the street, then when in Latin America you might end up with a panga - it does the job and it's hell of a lot easier than trying to import a Regulator since the pangas are made by the guy down the street....

Finally, while it is a little illogical, people are just willing to use and abuse a panga for more than a traditional boat. You want to go the beach? - I'll trim up the motors and poke the bow up on the sand without thinking twice. Did we just scrape the reef with the hull? Gouge the gel coat on a piling? meh - whatever, we'll just take it over to the fiberglass guy who made it in the off season. They can be a little more rugged, or at least you are ok treating them way.

You can also get boats with much higher freeboard - some of Columbian drug pangas (or former drug pangas that have pressed into service by the navies and boat yards in Latin America) are pretty impressive (although they would be a pain to fish out of).

That being said, if someone was willing to trade a Contender for the panga, I would certainly listen.
Bent Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #21
Hank49

You know about these drug boats....You're right. they're nice boats. I have a couple friends who use them for running supplies out to the cayes. BIG boats.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #22
Powers
Dad

I was especially encouraged by the $750 price tag. Plus, in the lower Texas Gulf Coast, we have three types of seas:

1. 12 foot rollers
2. 3-5 foot chop
3. Glass

If I get to the end of the jetties and it's anything but glass, I'm gonna go Redfishing in the Lydia Ann Channel and drink Goombay Smashes all afternoon.

I'll fish the chop when Viking finishes putting the Full Quill Ostrich seats in the cockpit of my new 65'...Was I daydreaming again?
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Nerka
dude

Quote:
The story I heard was that the UN started a competition to create the best design for a boat to replace canoes in the third world. The idea being that if coastal people have better boat they can catch more fish, make more money, and have a better life.
The qualities the boat must have are as follows
1) beach able
2) stable
3) low freeboard for pulling nets in
4) able to handle heavy loads
5) easy to build
6) require little power

The panga won,
Might be true just what I have heard
Nerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #24
PhiSig1071
Let Go Of My Ears

Thanks for the info!
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #25
bug_power
Team Jetty Jumper!

hey I've got the exact same boat. I got mine at a DEA auction as well. I have a 150 on it...and it hauls BUTT!. However it's a tiller and I can't see over the damn bow. I want to put a floor and console in it. I'm in Portland....if you need a buddy boat out of port A let me know. You can see pictures of mine at www.TexasSpearfishing.com
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #26
Powers
Dad

Wow. Yours is in a little better shape than mine. The 150 sounds like it may be the way to go. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #27
bug_power
Team Jetty Jumper!

Do you have any info on putting a floor in? I'm running low on cash due to this wedding and will need a budget way for a floor to go in. I don't know how to build the supports for the flooring, like how far apart to space them and how to template them.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
fishallday
They call me Apple sauce

How did you find this boat to buy? i am going to school in austin now but live in san diego, and lately there have been lots of very similar boats washing up along the shoreline. How would you recommend finding where to buy? any tips help!
fishallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #29
Powers
Dad

Hull has been reglassed and repainted. Now I need some power. I still want twin engines, but after a little research it seems that 60s may be the way to go as suggested by the previous poster. Anyone have a suggestion on the best place to buy used engines?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panga Pic.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	116326  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #30
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Get twin Suzuki 50 or 60 four strokes