Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #16
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Re: Best all-around speargun size for SoCal

Mid handles suck unless you want to buy a seasniper pro pretty much, they are the only midhandled gun I've had that shot exactly where it was supposed to from the get go, everything else I tried or built there was compensation you had to factor in before you pulled the trigger or it was so bad I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was just on a boat for 4 days of diving with 20 other guys. Probably 60% of the guys shot mid handles and literally every single one missed very easy shots. I know because I heard all the talk about how their gun was going to be firewood or a doorstop when they got back. Meanwhile I took 19 yellows and half a dozen Bonita or so with a rear handle gun and missed a single shot in 4 days because the fish was too far away.
There's no way my aim is so much better I never miss with a gun I use a handful of times a year if I'm lucky. Rear handles just offer a much better solution to channeling recoil so it doesn't throw off the shot.
No one else besides Americans shoot them for a reason

To the OP you want a 90 or 100 if you're gonna be shore diving Malibu all the time. The cheaper pathos with an aluminum barrel is my recommendation. I've only been diving Malibu for 13 years though so I don't really know anything. When you get to the point where you have the skills to hunt wsb you're probably going to want something like a 120 or 130, can't really have one gun that does it all, especially considering the changes in viz we have in malibu but 90% of the time I use a 90 and that hasn't changed for many years
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
isotopez

^^ so what your saying is you're a kook
isotopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotopez View Post
^^ so what your saying is you're a kook
A giant kook that for some strange reason expects guns to shoot where you point them lol
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
BenGreen

Not sure if you are still looking for a gun, I shot the wsb in my avatar with my Mako Predator2 90...As it so happens I had already ordered a new Sea Sniper 110 reverse trigger mech thinking the 90 wouldn't cut it for bigger wsb. With a well placed shot these smaller guns can do the job. Guess the 90 will now serve as a cave gun.

Last edited by BenGreen; 10-09-2014 at 12:28 AM.
BenGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #20
Danyanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGreen View Post
Not sure if you are still looking for a gun, I shot the wsb in my avatar with my Mako Predator2 90...As it so happens I had already ordered a new Sea Sniper 110 reverse trigger mech thinking the 90 wouldn't cut it for bigger wsb. With a well placed shot these smaller guns can do the job. Guess the 90 will now serve as a cave gun.
I've actually been looking for a nice 90cm gun, the Predator being one of them. Not sure if you're willing to part with it, but I'd be willing to purchase it from you if you no longer want it!
Danyanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Mid handles suck unless you want to buy a seasniper pro pretty much, they are the only midhandled gun I've had that shot exactly where it was supposed to from the get go, everything else I tried or built there was compensation you had to factor in before you pulled the trigger or it was so bad I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was just on a boat for 4 days of diving with 20 other guys. Probably 60% of the guys shot mid handles and literally every single one missed very easy shots. I know because I heard all the talk about how their gun was going to be firewood or a doorstop when they got back. Meanwhile I took 19 yellows and half a dozen Bonita or so with a rear handle gun and missed a single shot in 4 days because the fish was too far away.
There's no way my aim is so much better I never miss with a gun I use a handful of times a year if I'm lucky. Rear handles just offer a much better solution to channeling recoil so it doesn't throw off the shot.

To the OP you want a 90 or 100 if you're gonna be shore diving Malibu all the time. The cheaper pathos with an aluminum barrel is my recommendation. I've only been diving Malibu for 13 years though so I don't really know anything. When you get to the point where you have the skills to hunt wsb you're probably going to want something like a 120 or 130, can't really have one gun that does it all, especially considering the changes in viz we have in malibu but 90% of the time I use a 90 and that hasn't changed for many years

no the real reasons are

1) you are driven and spent more time in the water than the rest of the guys on the boat combined , and have something to prove, and need to make a good show for your sponsors

2) you needed to beat tylers record

3)you have been diving non stop all summer and know exactly where its going to hit ,and wait for a good close shot . compared to most of the other guys on the boat are only doing a couple bluewater trips a year at most and are shooting at fish that are WAY too far out .

ive watched you pump so many different brands and types of gear over the years , and every one is the very best you have ever used , then 6 months or a year later, there is a new best thing in the world and everything else is crap . i know you could have shot the same number of fish on that trip with a jbl

phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Behslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Mid handles suck
Kyle, to say that "Mid Handles Suck" or are inaccurate, is plain silly. One problem some guys have is that they keep their shafts too short. That makes a Mid Handle much different to aim. I like to keep @ 12" of overhang and this seems to make transitioning from a rear handle to a mid handle more seamless. The most accurate guns I own are mid handles. Where a Mid Handle really is a plus is in Mid Water Shooting where you are not actively chasing down a fish, rather lining up a shot, and sniping. The other day I had a long shot on a real nice fish. 20ft+ with a 4 band gun. Having that bracing hand to help aim the gun and to help share the recoil makes a difference.

Now if you are a chaser... the kind of diver that swims hard at their quarry then a Mid Handle is not your friend.. but for Sniping Mid water, I wouldn't trade my Mid handles for anything.

PS. I nailed him..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beh-Awan.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	211354  

Last edited by Behslayer; 10-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
VangysWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Having that bracing hand to help aim the gun and to help share the recoil makes a difference.
I enjoy both hunting with both styles of guns. But couldn't agree more with the above statement. Having to track or readjust on a fish with a RH is just way more difficult than it is with a MH. Seargent at arms, extend with a RH, shoot...is great... but if you have to track or readjust with a long RH it's just a pain in the ass. Not to mention the added stability you get aiming the gun with a MH in rough conditions is incomparable.
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
Castor

I just sold a 56" wong hybrid that if I was only going to have one gun I would have never sold it. It was a great gun for California. I shot halibut, yellows, whites, calicos, etc. It would shoot right where you point it.

I think some of the bad rap on mid handles is based upon guns that are improperly set up. I had a Riffe Bluewater for years that I just couldn't hit anything with unless I was 10' from it. I seriously learned to hate this gun. I kept thinking it was me. Nope, it was the gun. My dive buddy shoots an Island and had it set up with 5/8 bands and couldn't hit anything. He switched over to three 9/16 bands and a 9/32 and it seems like he cant miss with that gun. I am now shooting an Alexander BlueWater with a 5/16 shaft and 4 9/16 bands and it seems to shoot right where I point it.

There is no doubt in my mind that a mid handle from Phil or Jon or any of the other established guys is going to shoot well as long as it is set up properly.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
alcamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard-Sale Josh";1989412][COLOR="Yellow
Mid handles suck unless you want to buy a seasniper pro pretty much, they are the only midhandled gun I've had that shot exactly where it was supposed to from the get go, everything else I tried or built there was compensation you had to factor in before you pulled the trigger or it was so bad I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was just on a boat for 4 days of diving with 20 other guys[/color]. Probably 60% of the guys shot mid handles and literally every single one missed very easy shots. I know because I heard all the talk about how their gun was going to be firewood or a doorstop when they got back. Meanwhile I took 19 yellows and half a dozen Bonita or so with a rear handle gun and missed a single shot in 4 days because the fish was too far away.

To the OP you want a 90 or 100 if you're gonna be shore diving Malibu all the time. The cheaper pathos with an aluminum barrel is my recommendation. I've only been diving Malibu for 13 years though so I don't really know anything. When you get to the point where you have the skills to hunt wsb you're probably going to want something like a 120 or 130, can't really have one gun t does it all, especially considering the changes in viz we have in malibu but 90% of the time I use a 90 and that hasn't changed for many years
you have obviously never shot a Daryl Wong mid handle or a Ulu Sub..If you had, you would not make such a grotesquely misinformed comment.
alcamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #26
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
no the real reasons are

1) you are driven and spent more time in the water than the rest of the guys on the boat combined , and have something to prove, and need to make a good show for your sponsors

3)you have been diving non stop all summer and know exactly where its going to hit ,and wait for a good close shot . compared to most of the other guys on the boat are only doing a couple bluewater trips a year at most and are shooting at fish that are WAY too far out .

ive watched you pump so many different brands and types of gear over the years , and every one is the very best you have ever used , then 6 months or a year later, there is a new best thing in the world and everything else is crap . i know you could have shot the same number of fish on that trip with a jbl

phil
1. No, I would have been using pathos guns if that were true
2. Yes and I failed, I tied him so I have to go again next year lol
3. I got in the water 3 times all summer with that gun and pulled the trigger twice before I went on that trip. Once in Baja once in Hawaii and once in tahiti. I dislike diving with big guns unless I have too and for point #2 yeah you bet your ass I needed it. I could have probably shot about 15 with the old jbl woody elite in my garage not all 19 not even close. I tore off 0 fish in 4 days that i can remember and only missed one shot that was too far because I seriously misjudged how big a fish was, doesn't sound to me like I'm shooting at fish too far away at all.

And yeah I go through a lot of gear somewhat quickly as far as what suits me best, I have the luxury of being able to do it. If you care to notice anything I've said though I have yet to go back to anything I have claimed to find a superior alternative to. Image that. There is so much gear out there these days, if you can afford it try everything and pick what you like best. I at least I can support all my gear changes with actual differences I have experienced in the water. I'm a competition diver, trophy hunter, and lately getting into more deep reef. I need a few well designed pipe guns that are very light and a couple cannons that are as light as possible. The pathos and bleutec fit that bill the best right now easily. I'm not a fan of mid handle placement, it does not work for me. That is why I think they suck. Carrying a heavy ass gun down deep will also kill you, it almost killed me years ago. Also just swimming around with a heavy gun sucks, you can't tell me you can't dive harder and longer with a smaller lighter gun than a log with a handle screwed to it. Even the difference between my carbon 130 and the oceanborn is absurd which is why I didn't use it all summer, I could not get down and stay down long enough to shoot anything in Tahiti with the big gun and a float line.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #27
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
no the real reasons are

phil
Most honest post I've seen on this board in a long time. Lol

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #28
NHspearguy

I have a predator 110 mako 1st gen and it is great. Open muzzle is definitely easy and fast to load with no draw backs. Ask them to line it with 40bs mono. I have a 300' reel and love the whole thing. Very good company to deal with. O and you must get the butt pad. It is literally painful to load without it
NHspearguy is offline   Reply With Quote