Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
mikeyp

Re: Going to Hawaii

oh a Float with a dive flag is a law now. Be careful if you dive northshore or any local spot they will beat you and your car.
mikeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
5150dude
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahunter View Post
So I'm going to be in Hawaii from April 10-17 at the Kannapali Beach Resort. Just wondering what kinda gear i should bring and what to expect such as water temp, size of fish, local restrictions, limits, and fish i can't shoot. lol. Also if you live in that area and need a dive buddy pm me & we can exchange info.
We have stayed there a few times. That place rocks! Nothing real fancy but one ot the best locations on the island!.
From the resort... walk to water, jump in, start swimming to the right. Awesome structure.
Afterwards relax at the Tiki Bar. Tip big and it will be worth your while (no pre-measured libations).
Enjoy and post some reports!

Nostrovia! (To your health)
Dave
parker2320@gmail.com

When a Sea Dog Sneaks up.
La Paz H&L Video - HD
Divewise
5150dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Ron S

I'm planning a family vacation to Maui this August, and after looking at the hassle of hauling a gun over, and my lack of deep diving skills, I've pretty much decided to take the underwater camera and leave the gun home. For me it's just really not worth the trouble. Besides, my twins just turned 12, love snorkelling/freediving, but have never been in warm water. They don't know we're going yet, but when they see what it's like over there, it's gonna be awsome!
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
CPoly

I stayed in the same area for two weeks last summer. There is great diving all around that area. I only brought and used a pole spear but had an awesome time. Just got reef fish, but it was fun. I also had a lot of fun taking octopus, they are everywhere over there. You can pick up a reg book from a fishing shop once you get there, their regs are much more straight forward than ours and there are much fewer. I also found the locals very inviting and a few took me out diving and were very open to showing me "their spots" and one even loaned me a gun.
CPoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Blue Man

I went to Maui last April and before I went I did a google search for spearfishing guides. The guy I found was excellent...he normally takes out beginners and father/son groups but it was nice to have someone with some local expertise review the regs, help identify target fish, take you to a great dive spot, provide gear, et cetera. (Now that I know about traveling with SporTube to store gear, bringing a gun won't be as big of a deal).

He took me to a really cool spot and it was great diving.

The only problem is he was a little flaky.

Let me know and I can find his number if you're interested.
Blue Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Post Re: Going to Hawaii

Try these two guys for spearfishing guides.
Bluewater Maui/Bluewater Inc.
email:FISH@BLUEWATERMAUI.COM ask for Whitney

Spearfishing Maui
contact Jeremy 808-205.8585

They should be able to get you in the water and you on some good fish.
I believe they rent/loan guns and equipment as well, so you wont have to haul all of your gear.

Also, make sure to make time to visit the Maui Aquarium if you can, it is a great experience.
Maui Ocean Center

These links should help you get familiar with the regulations and fish species.
Marine Life
Regulations

Have fun and dive akamai!

Aloha,
Chad
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
OCSpearboard24

I would be a little careful about using jermy as a guide. PM me if you are seriously considering him.
OCSpearboard24 is offline   Reply With Quote