Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
CozyComic

bull shoals bankside

Ok so girlfriend and I are planning on hitting bull shoals this tuesday since it is the first day we both have off together in sometime (it's been rainy but get in the water when you can right). I was thinking about getting the dust off my gear and breaking out the new speargun. Since we don't have a boat I was just planning on getting in the soup bankside.
Now I know I can go after non game fish year round ( carp, sucker, gar, sunfish ) game fish excluding bass june 15 to march 15 of the next year (needing to know what game fish I can go after ) and flat head cat july 15th to march 15th the next year (can I chase other cat species?). I also know that since we are in springfield we need to get the license that covers us on the border lakes.
Also this will only be my second time in the water so any tips for a newbie when it comes to chasing carp, sucker, and gar in the shallows? Oh anyone know the limit caps. Please and thank you for your time.
oh this is where I found the regulations
http://www.agfc.com/fishing/pages/fi...technique.aspx
http://www.agfc.com/fishing/Pages/Fi...ilyLimits.aspx

Last edited by CozyComic; 05-31-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: found new information
CozyComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
CozyComic

Re: bull shoals bankside

Oh! and if I have any luck I will be sure to post pics here on the thread.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
FWFishSlayer

for carp I just lay on the bottom and wait for them to swim by. In real shallow water basically just float, any sudden or quick movements scare em but if you hold still theyre curious and swim right up to ya
FWFishSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:51 PM   #4
CozyComic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWFishSlayer View Post
for carp I just lay on the bottom and wait for them to swim by. In real shallow water basically just float, any sudden or quick movements scare em but if you hold still theyre curious and swim right up to ya
Ok anything in particular I should look for like really grassy areas?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
FWFishSlayer

we dont have alot of grassy areas in our lakes here in utah, i've found that carp like to muk around in the mud and suck algae off rocks though, i usually look for points or structure to dive around. Also try looking up some videos on youtube to see what the bottom looks like where people are finding fish and then go find a spot that looks similar
Old 06-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
CozyComic

Ok can do. I have been looking at getting a 120 cm mako gun and keeping my 30 cm cressi as a back up any sweet spot when it comes to the speargun size? (murky and clear water)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Topaz

You have one bottom type to chose from. Rocks. At current level you will be in a lot of brush/grass. Avoid the green briars!!! Best way to figure the regs is you can shoot anything not prohibited. Right now everything is illegal but roughfish after 15th everything ok but for flats n dark bass. Post up a vis report would ya? 2 weeks ago it wasn't bad
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
CozyComic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
You have one bottom type to chose from. Rocks. At current level you will be in a lot of brush/grass. Avoid the green briars!!! Best way to figure the regs is you can shoot anything not prohibited. Right now everything is illegal but roughfish after 15th everything ok but for flats n dark bass. Post up a vis report would ya? 2 weeks ago it wasn't bad
ok thank you so as long as I stick to carp, sucker, and gar I should be fine. What about bluegill and other sun fish?

Last edited by CozyComic; 06-01-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Topaz

Not sure I never considered shooting them... They are just there to keep me entertained.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
CozyComic

I'll check in with the marina when we get down there.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
Topaz

Just carefully read the regs but be sure to read the "special reg section". B S is one of them special size/quantities apply and supersede the generic statewide regs
Old 06-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #12
CozyComic

ok Taking off now I'll check back in tomorrow night. Wish me luck.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:08 AM   #13
FWFishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyComic View Post
Ok can do. I have been looking at getting a 120 cm mako gun and keeping my 30 cm cressi as a back up any sweet spot when it comes to the speargun size? (murky and clear water)
Some body who knows the area and what the vis normally is will be of more help but I use my mako 100cm gun for clear water and an 80cm for murky. if visibility is around 12feet or better I go with the 100, less than 12 the 80.
Good luck and dont forget to show off your catch if you get anything
Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
CozyComic

A hard lesson in murphy's law learned
Ok I made it back safe and sound well mostly. You know that term if it can go wrong it will go wrong? I never really put any thought into it until now. The plan was to go from springfield spend a night in rockaway beach then head down to bull shoals and spend the day there. The first part of the trip went without a hitch ; ended up playing hookie at work to get the day off but I'll deal with that later. The second part of the trip did not go so well. My girlfriends gps ended up sending us all the way out to the arkansas side of bull shoals and once we hit the mo/ark state line her phone lost service. Sooooo the inevitable happened we got lost, (keep in mind we left about noon) after 2 or 3 in the afternoon we had stumbled upon a bull shoals resort and asked for directions. Once we had our bearings about us and we had a mix up on highway directions we then proceeded on our quest. We stopped and used the last of the budgeted gas money and eventually found the bull shoals damn complete with state park. However there was no mariena in site to get our border licenses. This is about 4 to 5 in the afternoon when we found the damn. After some searching we managed to find the marena however there is a catch by the time we had got there we had a tough decision to make. Since we had run the tank down to half full we either could spend the money and get our border licenses and get stranded; or cut our losses and fill the tank back up. Seeing as the post is what it is we chose to cut our losses and it felt like my heart was being torn to pieces.
I am glad that we did though seeing as this next part happens. Without a gps we ended up getting lost in the forsyth/ theodosia area after we had managed to find our are back across the state line. After what seemed like an eternity we came across this little gas station on a cross roads. After doing what every man hates doing I took another hit to my pride; and asked the lovely lady at the gas station for directions back to rockaway beach. Once we had gotten or directions I gave the lady a thank you and she gave us a safe travels. That is where it gets a bit odd because on the way back to rockaway beach; my girlfriend was driving and she didn't turn sharp enough in time resulting us in sliding off into the ditch. Luckily we stopped in time and didn't slam into the drainage pipe, perhaps the spearo spirits where looking after us that moment. After we had a moment to collect ourselves we then switched places and I drove us back to springfield around 8 oclock.
So to that note it looks like my title of spearo eludes me for another day. The lesson to learn from this story would be always have thorough planning ahead of time.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 AM   #15
FWFishSlayer

dude, that bites. I hate those smart phone gps', and it sounds like you just learned the hard way what happens when you put to much trust in them. Do what I did and get an atlas and map out your rout before you go. they dont lose signal or run out of batteries.
And I sure hope you have better luck on the next one.