Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Collection bag question

Hi everyone,

Every year, there are a couple dives I do specifically to recover lures and other trinkets from the bottom. Generally, I end up sticking the lures in the thick poly rope on my float and other stuff gets wedged in my gear wherever it seems like it will fit without falling out.
Inevitably, a fair amount of it falls out. Or a hook gets snarled up in the rope, or my arms suffer from trying to carry the float back to the car at arms length with 10 lbs of lead hanging off of it, because I don't want it to sew itself to me with treble hooks.

There must be a better way to collect and carry this stuff and I'm thinking a bag. I ran a couple searches yesterday on here and I didn't see any threads dedicated to collection bags (aside from lion fish stuff). I also Googled it. There are plenty of mesh bags, but I'm worried that would be too likely to end up a hedgehog of treble barbs bouncing along at my waist, or hanging above me as I dive.

So, I'm thinking of making a bag out of some kind of stiff, synthetic material, sewn in a tube of about 5" diameter with some kind of easy draining bottom to let water out. I still think the classic "dive bag mesh" would be too prone to tangles, but maybe a handful of grommets to reinforce drain holes? Maybe for attachment, just a nylon tape loop with a brass clip in it.
I just can't think of a good way to "close" it. I want the opening to be stiff enough that it's like throwing junk in a coffee can, so the top needs to have some structure to it. It can't cinch closed...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add a lid to this thing, or suggestions on what kind of synthetic fabric I can use that would be nice and stiff for the body?
Or maybe you have a better idea entirely! I wanna know.

Cheers
Mike
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: Collection bag question

Lobster bag of this variety, but you might need to replace the bottom mesh with nylon fabric:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F...yGL&ref=plSrch
Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

There are cheaper versions available (search for Lobster Bag), if you don't mind sewing the entire bag.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Hmm. "lobster bag". Gotta search that term now.

Sorry if I seem naïve on some of these terms. I'm a freshwater guy, so I miss some things that might seem obvious in retrospect...

The thing I'm imagining would look more like a small rope bag, somewhere between this (a "line mug" for holding throwing line for arboreal climbing) and this, (a rope bag for canyoneering).

I think having some structural integrity to it, (holding itself open in a cylindrical shape), would give lures less opportunity to hook both sides and turn the whole thing into a solid structure that must be cut apart. I'm thinking the line mug is actually pretty close to what I want, (5" diameter, 6"-8" tall), but I'd make the tube extend past the top and bottom an inch, put some manner of reinforced drain holes in the base and ... I don't know for the top.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
FreediveCA

What about a pvc pipe capped at both ends? You could cut it the length you want. Unscrew a cap whenever you're throwing something in. You wouldn't have to worry about snagging yourself and you could even rig your floatline to it.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

FreediveCA... Damn. That's a really good idea. I was really stuck on the idea of a bag, but giving it some thought, this sounds like a perfect collection can.

- 4"dia schedule 40 pipe between 10-12inches long
- capped on both ends, at least one with a clean-out (screw cap), in case something gets stuck somewhere.
- round hole, about 3" wide, drilled near the "top" so I can chuck stuff in it like a wastebasket.
- a bolt through the bottom end cap for ballast and some manner of small, hard float under the top cap to make it stand up underwater like a weeble wobble.
- a paracord loop through the top cap for float line attachment and slinging over my shoulder on the walk back.
- a number of 1/4 holes for draining water.

I'm intent on keeping it a bit wide because now and again I find pliers or something else with some size to it and when I put that crap in my sleeve, I suffer. (cold water).

That's a really good idea, thanks man!

Mike
Old 12-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
FreediveCA

That right there sounds even better. Doesn't seem like it would take too long to construct and fairly cheap. I think keeping it girthy is a good idea. You never know what you'll come across. Glad I could help you bounce some ideas around. Would love to hear how it works out for you.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I'll report back on it when I get it serviceable. Construction shouldn't take more than an hour of puttering, but winter has it's talons in us right now, so it's going to be a while before I can dive again to try it out.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
Watergator

Look at the design for the zookeeper lionfish tube. It's basically a pvc pipe like y'all are talking about with a slit funnel on one end. You can shove stuff through the hole and the funnel will keep it from coming back out. If you do this, use a soldering iron to melt a small circle at the end of your cuts on the funnel or it will crack as you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #10
Habo

How about this?

http://www.divers-supply.com/easy-lo...WX0aAi3d8P8HAQ
Habo is offline   Reply With Quote