Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #16
Alec

Re: Anatomy of Free Diver Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
I need to get a new razor sharp dive knife. Something that can cut through 400 lb mono like butter. Any suggestions?

I need to get back to having wire cutters on my belt when using cable shooting line. Used to do this but haven't for the past several trips.
I really enjoy the Salvimar ST Atlantis knife
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #17
campione

Thanks Bob for the updates. There is very useful info in any accident. Indeed, it is so true, that an accident can happen to anyone regardless of experience levels. I had freediver friends who were veterans, experts in the field, and they are now dead from swb. This is a tough sport, and your first mistake is your last. Also, anyone can have a day where we are not at our top shape. So I think it's best to always be conservative in your judgement.
Lines tangles are very scary, especially in poor vis like we have here. In this incident it seems that he maybe got tangled in the reel line. Line laying lose next to you and your knife/fish clip is a huge risk. I hope there is more details from the coroner's but if they are not freedivers it's hard to determine what really happened. But based on the info in your message it look like he probably tried to dislodge the stuck spear and the reel line tangled around him and held him down while he tried to reach the surface near his limits. So tragic. RIP and God bless.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #18
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando8884 View Post
The OC Spearos will be releasing a DETAILED account of events shortly. Hold off on the what ifs until then.
Has this been published yet?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #19
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Not yet
Old 11-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #20
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando8884 View Post
The OC Spearos will be releasing a DETAILED account of events shortly. Hold off on the what ifs until then.
Any closer?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
popgun pete

A buddy keeping watch is a good idea, if someone had gone over the side with him to watch from above then the outcome may have been different. Lone diver going back in is always a danger, you need another pair of eyes and ears under the water as from above you can see and hear nothing. That said I have done it myself for that one extra fish.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote