Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #16
PaulR
REEF REGULATOR

Send a message via AIM to PaulR
I was freediving out of islamorada over thanksgiving. I had a pole spear, and I see a nice gag. I swim above it, and out of nowhere, a 500# bull shark came over and ate the gag. It scared the crap out of me. TALK ABOUT RUNNING ON WATER. I was in the boat in a millisecond. Ive done some free dives in some areas that are packed with cuda. I don't know why, but sometimes, this is where I find some big fish.

PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:57 PM   #17
Steel Shootin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Wierd fish
I was in the boat in a millisecond.
And therein lies the advantage of freediving over tank diving.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:07 AM   #18
greyface

You could always PH the bottom of yer tank, and shoot thru the water like a cartoon!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:08 AM   #19
PaulR
REEF REGULATOR

Send a message via AIM to PaulR
If I had the money to buy my own gear, I would be down there with the rest of you. I got tired of renting and went to freediving. Maby for my birthday I might ask for some stuff . Untill then, its freediving for me.

PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:18 PM   #20
junior

Hey, I can attest to the cuder situation on the Bibb. It was 7 miles out my back door less than a year ago. It is a great spot to tag a variety of fish throughout the year. Monster muttons and super sized yellowtail snapper hang of the wreck in the spring and fall, big blacks underneath. hit it really early or really late in the day as the charters seem to scare all the life inside the wreck or wherever the hell they decide to go. It is pretty deep though at 130'. Huge pompano, aj's and mackeral species are often seen at this wreck. Current can rip pretty good, but the nice thing about the wreck is that it sits on its side and the superstructure portion is on the lee side of the current so that once you get down to 90 feet or so, you are out of it and not struggling. Big jewfish living there too, but very wary, which is nice. Never been bothered by the cudas, just always bagged everything or held it real close to my chest after making sure whatever I'd shot was good and dead. I hear some of you guys talking about bulls and I am not surprised you've seen them. Super abundant when the water cools off a bit like this. Had many a friend run in with them guys from the keys up to west palm. Had a twelve footer sneak up behind me at 135' around deerfield beach. Basically, they seem to get what they want over there as no one I know has had a lot of success with shooing them off. Couple of guys diving off the boat I worked on in Hollywood got cornered against the reef by a trio of bulls, all about 6-8 feet. They fought them off and then the sharks separated the guys and bit one of them in the ass at the surface. Shortly thereafter, he dropped his stringer. I'll take a cuda anyday over one of those ****ers.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote