Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 12-30-2002, 11:08 AM   #1
stix1

Keys Dive Boat Needed

I will be down in the Keys area for New Years and want to do some diving. I will be diving with my girlfriend who will also spearfish, but is ia newbie. I would like to locate a good dive boat below mile marker 82 that isn't speargun shy and will stick us on some good spots. Any suggestions appreciated.

stix1
stix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:42 AM   #2
johnhermes

It may be just about impossible to find a dive boat that will be speargun friendly. My recommendation is to look into renting a boat and going out to the reef yourself. Also, check the weather. It can be very hard to fin a decent day this time of year.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:19 PM   #3
Grauer
warped perspective

If your near Key West Proper, try Key west dive society. They have always been Spear friendly in the past. But i agree with Hermes, the best thing to do if you can afford it is to rent your own boat. You will have better luck hunting if you dive the deeper reefs. The Shollower reefs (30ft) get hit pretty hard.

The 20 ton whale shark has entered the room! 2007 St. Pete Open! August 17, 18, and 19! Enter Now!
www.StPeteOpen.com
Grauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:43 PM   #4
Charlestondivin

Seaweed27 is right on the money there. Key west Dive society on stock island is the only boat that allowed spearing any time i have been there. Just watch out if you spear on any of the popular wrecks there. Those "hand fed" eels get a little too freindly.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:29 AM   #5
stix1

Anyone have a contact number for Key West Dive Society, am catching a 4:00 PM flight today into FLL and driving down regardless of weather ....
stix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:59 AM   #6
Charlestondivin

kwds 305-292-3221

It is the last building on your left before you come cross the bridge onto key west. You cant miss it.

I got a real nice grouper on joes tug, one of the wrecks they hit.
lots of good live bottom sorrounding that wreck.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Send a message via AIM to fernandezh Send a message via Yahoo to fernandezh
Best dive boat in Key Largo

Island Ventures. Captain Brian (866) 293-5006 (305)451-4957. On US 1 Mile Marker 104 on W. side next to Sundowners Restaurant www.islandventure.com

The Island Ventures IS the best boat to go out on in Key Largo. It has a max of 10 divers but usually runs with 6 or less. That is a drastic improvement over the Cattle boats that often hold 30 or more. The price for a 2 tank dive is $55 and the price includes tanks. If you dive NITROX, CAPT Brian also has NITROX tanks usually for no extra charge. If you run 3 trips with him he usually gives a great discount.
His boat is definitely the way to go if you want to see the Spiegel Grove (largest intentionally underwater wreck there is). When I went, my friend and I were the only ones on the boat and he accomidated us in every respect. You can't go wrong with this guy, trust me.
fernandezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:38 AM   #8
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

almost forgot.

Oh, almost forgot. Capt Brian does allow spearfishing on his boat. You just can't spearfish in certain areas prohibited by law, such as the Spiegel Grove and a few other sites. But Capt Brian will take you to some great spots to spearfish. Just read my thread titled: Fish Stolen by Barracuda. If you dive in Key Largo, your best bet will be to stay in Homestead 20 minutes away. Rooms in Key Largo: $100+ Better room in Homestead: $65 per night.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:41 AM   #9
junior

Fernandezh,

Try the Keys Motel in Tavernier, just south of key largo. Cool little place with a dock out back if you bring a boat. Close to a lot of dive operations to the norht and south. Usually they have the best rates and IMHO it is a more trpoical experience than homesdead.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #10
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

IMHO, a hotel is a place to lay my head down at night after a day of diving, and a place to knock boots with a chica or chicas (any chica). anything more than a bed and roach control is just froo froo stuff to me. I could care less about the tropical ambience of an expensive hotel room.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #11
Grauer
warped perspective

if all you r looking for is roach control and roof, try The Spanish Garden on simonton in KW. Out of season rates are around 65 weekdays and 75 weekends. plus they even have a pool. one block from Duval street. I stayed there while i was looking for a place to live when i first moved down there.

The 20 ton whale shark has entered the room! 2007 St. Pete Open! August 17, 18, and 19! Enter Now!
www.StPeteOpen.com
Grauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #12
junior

Trust me fernandezh, it ain't as pretty as it may sound. I was awakened on one trip to the sound of the cuban maid plunging the shower because it was backing up and flooding the neighbors room. Coconut palms and septic dyspesia is about as tropical as you can get. And, did I mention cheeeep??
Old 01-24-2003, 09:16 AM   #13
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Talking I didn't know it was like that.

Well then, why didn't you say so? I love little motels like that. How are the hourly rates?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #14
junior

Talking They bill in 15 minute increments

Funny stuff H. Ever heard of Woody's in Islamorada? Little strip club tight down the road a few minutes south of the keys motel. They got a band in there named Big Dick and the Extenders that does a show that is funny as hell. Some love him, some hate him. Sit in the front and talk shit, he'll love ya.