Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science

Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Discuss invasive exotic species such as lionfish, carp, snakehead, etc. including news, spearfishing and scientific research in any geographical region.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
ARK

Lion fish population declining?

Observation from my neck of the waters ( Sebastian Inlet): noticed significant decline of Lion fish population. When we started targeting them couple of years ago we used to get 75-100 lbs a trip. Over last couple of weeks we only got 5-10 lbs. We used to see them on every dive, now we see them every 2-3 dives and usually a couple of fish on the reef. Are our removal efforts so efficient or some other factors are taking tool on their population? Please, post your observations.
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Lion fish population declining?

It is hard to believe that the spearo's efforts actually have any impact on the population of those creatures. They breed sooooo quickly that I think it is just impossible to lessen their population, given that they don't seem to have natural predators (on the northern hemisphere, that is).

Besides, they are supposed to live up to 1100feet down... spearos, even scuba, rarely go lower than 250feet if I am not mistaken. Much less for freedivers.

So... if you see a decrease in population, then it must be something else!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
LionfishStabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
It is hard to believe that the spearo's efforts actually have any impact on the population of those creatures. They breed sooooo quickly that I think it is just impossible to lessen their population, given that they don't seem to have natural predators (on the northern hemisphere, that is).

Besides, they are supposed to live up to 1100feet down... spearos, even scuba, rarely go lower than 250feet if I am not mistaken. Much less for freedivers.

So... if you see a decrease in population, then it must be something else!
I think it's pretty clear that concentrated hunting can keep a lid on them. I notice that when I dive on well-trafficked reefs like Juno Ledge I have an extremely hard time finding any. It's only when I go deep or off the beaten path that I see them in numbers. In FL basically every boatload of recreational divers is going to have at least one person onboard with a pole spear, so popular dive sites are pretty clean.

You're right that they're more or less untouchable in deep water, and that is a problem. However, if the lionfish population can be kept in check on the reefs at say, 120' and shallower that protects a lot of recruitment habitat for native fishes. It'll at least buy some time for either humans or nature to figure out how to pick off the deeper infestations.
LionfishStabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:21 AM   #4
popgun pete

Just keep on shooting them and turning them into burgers, the recipe is right here.
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=198355
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:38 AM   #5
popgun pete

Maybe a Lionfish Burger Day Hunt could be organized where the catch is cooked for the participant’s consumption as well as for the attending members of the general public. To have something to cook a stock of flesh could be built-up prior to the event and supplemented with hot dogs and other snacks and beverages. Have a depth division for scuba divers mowing down those skulking in the depths while freedivers work over the upper reefs. Competition by accumulated catch weight with no size restrictions on what is shot, in other words open slather.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
jfjf

I did 3 days of diving in a few areas in the Bahamas on healthy reefs and limestone outcroppings in 5 to 40 ft depth. I don't recall seeing ONE lionfish.

Their populations in various areas are being impacted by something significant and it does not involve culling from divers. Pretty amazing really.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
popgun pete

It is possible that bottom dwelling sharks have learnt to eat lionfish that they have not been accustomed to before and once they have sampled a few other sharks in their species follow suit. The Wobbegong Sharks will eat anything that hovers too close and will fit in their big mouth at a stretch and there must be similar sharks in your local waters. Incidentally Wobbegong Sharks are only said to grow to about 7 feet, but I have swum over monsters bigger than me on the bottom, and that includes my fins, whose beady eyes have been sizing me up as I glided by about 6 feet away. Naturally once I spotted the camouflaged monster I opened the distance pronto!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla

put $3 a lb or more on a fish and unlimited fishing and it will disappear. we have experienced that same effect on the supposedly rebuilt grouper fishery in the Gulf.

this is only updated to 2017 but it's clear that our fishery is being mismanaged.

historical landings in the Gulf of Mexico

Old 06-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
toobad4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post
put $3 a lb or more on a fish and unlimited fishing and it will disappear. we have experienced that same effect on the supposedly rebuilt grouper fishery in the Gulf.

this is only updated to 2017 but it's clear that our fishery is being mismanaged.

historical landings in the Gulf of Mexico

It's $5.00/lb up here in the panhandle. We had a hard time finding 20 lbs this weekend hitting about 7 spots total. Granted there was a big tournament last month that removed about 19,000 lbs of them up here.

Stephen
toobad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
popgun pete

Any udpate on lionfish populations, are they on the wane or is the situation variable depending on the location?